Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
attachment.php?attachmentid=69954&d=1421945296.jpg

What is that?

That's the new 4G antenna.

Did I make up the fact that 6.1 has auto-dimming headlights now? I don't find it in the release notes. Can't find anything on the forum. But was positive I'd seen posts about how wonderful it was by someone on here. As far as I can tell, my car, with 6.1, isn't auto-dimming the headlights. Is this a later model only thing?

Did I make up the fact that 6.1 has auto-dimming headlights now? I don't find it in the release notes. Can't find anything on the forum. But was positive I'd seen posts about how wonderful it was by someone on here. As far as I can tell, my car, with 6.1, isn't auto-dimming the headlights. Is this a later model only thing?
Cars with autopilot hardware can automatically turn on/off the brights, if that's what you mean. It uses the forward-facing camera, so it doesn't apply to us.

Hi, just got the update this morning and installed it.

Can the trip screen show Rated Miles instead of percentage? I quickly poked through the settings screens and didn't see anything. My brain has been so trained on Rated Miles, now seeing a percentage doesn't mean much regarding how far I can go. I have a mental list that 90% charge is X rated miles, 50% charge is Y rated miles, etc, so I can roughly convert..... but is a slow process... heh. ugh!

Showing the main battery meter in percentage instead of rated miles doesn't really help either as can't as readily tell your consumption as you are driving. Comparing physical miles driven to battery percentage. Comparing physical miles to rated miles is easy...!

Thanks.

-m

Thanks for the confirmation, though note even on the old software you could get the large sensor overview on the center console (1 direction only, though). The exception is if you kept the camera app open, in which case the sensor output was for some reason pushed to the instrument cluster.

That's pretty funny, because I always opened the camera when in tight spots, so never saw that. I haven't checked close enough to see when the large sensor overview defaults to the center console in 6.1. However, there's always at least a large button to bring it up whenever the camera view is open and you're in reverse or moving forward at less than ~ 18 km/hr.

I knew what they were, but it surprised me than some did not. Don't want them on my S!

Interesting read here. Non-tech, and trying to figure out what changes will apply to me.
Sounds like: new "%" mode for battery level/range display, backup lines (will probably wish I can turn them off), I think one post mentioned Average is now the default setting... but other energy graph changes are unclear to me so far.
Still on the old 6.0. I'd like the fob charge port feature so I don't have to get back into the car to show people, I think that was in the newer 6.0.

Anyone have an idea what is happening?

Got the alarm symbol on the center screen: update available. I saw it while I was driving home, about 400 km to go. Now I know that update while driving is not a good idea.

Pulled into the next Supercharger. Started charging (had only 25 km left).

As I was bored, I started the update while sitting in the car. It showed me that it wanted to update to 6.1 and that it would tahe about 45 minutes. Fine. So I started the update.

The car made clicking noises from the rear, the screen turned blank several times, this continued for about 15 minutes.

Then a screen came up saying it could not successfully complete the update.

No problem, I thought. Maybe it doesn't like to update while (Super-)charging. But wait: No more update light. No mention of an upcoming update. I pressed the Tesla sign on the top of the center screen. Still on 6.0.

Can anyone here point me to what I could do? How do I get the 6.1?

Anyone have an idea what is happening?

Got the alarm symbol on the center screen: update available. I saw it while I was driving home, about 400 km to go. Now I know that update while driving is not a good idea.

Pulled into the next Supercharger. Started charging (had only 25 km left).

As I was bored, I started the update while sitting in the car. It showed me that it wanted to update to 6.1 and that it would tahe about 45 minutes. Fine. So I started the update.

The car made clicking noises from the rear, the screen turned blank several times, this continued for about 15 minutes.

Then a screen came up saying it could not successfully complete the update.

No problem, I thought. Maybe it doesn't like to update while (Super-)charging. But wait: No more update light. No mention of an upcoming update. I pressed the Tesla sign on the top of the center screen. Still on 6.0.

Can anyone here point me to what I could do? How do I get the 6.1?

I think you should talk to Tesla Service about that.

BTW, I'm pretty sure that charging will be interrupted while you do a software update, so you can't actually supercharge and update at the same time.

Hi, just got the update this morning and installed it.

Can the trip screen show Rated Miles instead of percentage? I quickly poked through the settings screens and didn't see anything. My brain has been so trained on Rated Miles, now seeing a percentage doesn't mean much regarding how far I can go. I have a mental list that 90% charge is X rated miles, 50% charge is Y rated miles, etc, so I can roughly convert..... but is a slow process... heh. ugh!

Showing the main battery meter in percentage instead of rated miles doesn't really help either as can't as readily tell your consumption as you are driving. Comparing physical miles driven to battery percentage. Comparing physical miles to rated miles is easy...!

Thanks.

-m

Yes, you can still display rated miles. I find that requires less mental arithmetic, too. :wink: I'm not sure I can tell you exactly where it is unless I'm sitting in my car (which I am not at the moment), but I believe it's in the settings screen where you can adjust units displayed (24 hr or 12 hr clock; Fahrenheit or Celcius temp, etc.) You choose "distance" instead of "energy."