Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just happened to notice that the bar in the dash for media now shows the buffering status for Slacker. Is this new for 6.1 as well? I didn't ever really pay attention to it... I'll try to snap a picture next time I think about it. (Searched here for any mention of it and didn't find anything about it...)

I promised to report back after my service visit today. I needed a software update to fix some minor problems. Car delivered back to me with a newer version of 6.0. I was told (as noted above) that Fremont won't let the SC's update to 6.1 since it is a scheduled release. Worst part about it was that I had a 6.1 loaner all day and enjoyed playing with the TACC, back up lines, etc. Oh well.

I get my car back tomorrow from the SC from it's annual inspection.. and from what I can read between the lines, even after asking several times, I won't get 6.1 until it's downloaded in the normal process. :(

If they are going that route (which makes sense to avoid tons of people going in for service *just for the software update*) then they NEED to fix the rollout such that it only takes *at most* 1 week to hit every car. Or even better allow people to "check for updates" and get the download themselves. If open source software can manage to handle heavy loads of traffic for downloading updates (like repositories for linux and such), then I don't see why this is a big hurdle for them. Or patch day on an online game... yes it can be slow... but *somehow* millions of players are able to download sometimes a file that is GB in size and be done in a couple hours... I don't get why this is complicated. (I am sure there is a reason why they are forced to rollout in phases that likely has to do with Bandwidth issues... but they really should find a better way to handle this.)

Maybe some form of "while on wifi" and downloading the update, it works in a P2P protocol such that you are using your bandwidth to help others take the same download. So many other companies already do this... so it shouldn't be a big deal (I get that would wouldn't potentially want to do this with your 3G connection since they might be limited there in what they can get away with through AT&T). Maybe the 3G is the reason in the first place for phased rollout? So you should totally make two different rules on the car that if the car is connected via WiFi give priority since they aren't having to pay for that end of the bandwidth pipe. Maybe even allow an option in the car that if you are connected via WiFi you can force check for updates, and it will download you out of the sequencing *only if* you stay connected to WiFi until it is completed (As far as I am concerned you could basically not allow the car to be driven until you finish the download, forcing you to stay connected via the WiFi if you are concerned about paying for the 3G bandwidth.) I am of course just making assumptions here that is the part of the reason for their method of rollout... could be wrong...

Tesla might go extra slowly with the next few releases, since they all will involve changes that directly affect safety.

If that is the argument then it shouldn't be rolled out at all until such point as it can be deemed "safe". Because 1 person or 5,000 people... you are still open to liability issues. Obviously there is some level of risk acceptance both by Tesla and the consumer. If you don't *trust* the software, don't *install* the software... You do have a choice.

I assume where you are physically located* has no bearing on the sequencing of the update, assuming 3G and/or wifi is available? I'm starting to feel left out. And, yes, I know we are only in to the process for a little over a week. Still feel left out.:confused:

* Address of record in Napa, CA, but currently in Arizona for winter.

... it shouldn't be rolled out at all until such point as it can be deemed "safe". Because 1 person or 5,000 people... you are still open to liability issues. Obviously there is some level of risk acceptance both by Tesla and the consumer.

Obviously. So what's confusing to you here? Tesla is rolling out the software exactly how it intends to. It's not going to speed it up or slow it down or change who is getting it when except for internal reasons.

Liability issues have little or nothing to do with it. All software has bugs. Some software problems are revealed when you release the software widely. You have just so much ability to respond to problems, so you try to balance that with the likelihood of problems and the bandwidth of the people available to deal with them. Let's guess that there are about 60,000 Model S on the road today. Let's assume that Tesla believes there is a .01% chance that the 6.1 update will brick a car. That would mean six cars. Can they handle that? Sure. But it won't be random. What if it turns out that the failure occurs only in extreme cold on right hand drive vehicles? Can they handle that? Much less likely since it will hit only a few service centers all at once. And every single possible failure of the software, from minor to severe adds to the service load. The more stuff they change, the more likely there are problems and the harder they are to figure out. Could they reduce the chance of bricking to .001%? Sure. But then they would need six months more QA and nobody would get the update for much longer. So everything has to be carefully balanced. It's an art.

So how do they deal with this? Easy. Or at least easy if you understand the issues. They roll the release out slowly, making sure that the cars it goes to are spread out among their service centers, preferably near them in the beginning. They restrict the release to certain configurations particularly likely to reveal problems early. Maybe they even base some things on driver behavior -- if they want to know if there are any nav problems then they don't push it to people who never use nav. If problems show up, they diagnose them and modify their rollout plan to account for the now expected problems. They monitor the boards as well as their support calls to find out what confuses and annoys people the most. Perhaps they modify the software or the release notes if the problem is serious enough. Over time, as they gain confidence in the software, and in their knowledge of its problems, they accelerate the release. This process gets the software out to as many people as they can as quickly as they can while maintaining a high level of service.

What this means is that even if Tesla gets better and more efficient about the update process, you will always see updates roll out slowly. The only things they can reasonably roll out quickly are very minor changes with an extremely high reliability. Note that the process I'm describing is what a smart company does with something like this. I think Tesla is smart, so my guess is that their process looks quite a bit like this.

So get used to it.

- - - Updated - - -

I assume where you are physically located* has no bearing on the sequencing of the update, assuming 3G and/or wifi is available?

I would assume it does. If I were Tesla, I would not offer the update to a car out in the boonies, far from home or a service center. That's asking for trouble.