Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2. in real life (after succesful install)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With due respect, the links you posted did NOT confirm with certainty whether or not is was possible to disable remote access while in valet mode - it read like speculation to me (a photo evidence would have sufficed). That's how rumors get started ;-)

And that's why I attached a photo of said evidence in my post (that spentan linked here) to try squashing false rumors. Job done!

Touché!

Yes, but you expect it. You would never try and overtake a 18-wheeler on an incline with a Nissan Sentra, but you get used to how the Model S performs, and will intuitively rely and depend on it.

True, but I would hope when someone thinks about overtaking an 18 wheeler they're at least using a good chunk of their frontal lobe :p

Sounds like an unlikely scenario IMO. Or PEBKAC (c is car in this case) at least, AKA not Tesla's problem.

on the cruise control/TACC stalk, there ~was~an orange LED. when you drive straight, you cannot see the state of that light, and it is brighter than it needs to be. the only time you see it is if you are turning the steering wheel. It distracts you since you are not used to seeing it....5 year old mode off

Thanks new_user. Interesting change. So now the stalk has a light that's just become redundant. First world problems but hope they remove the light in a future revision unless they don't expect new customers/ex-Mercedes owners to wonder why it doesn't turn on.

You would compromise your safety if you cap acceleration or top speed on a highway.

Imagine starting to overtake a 18 wheeler on a single lane road, only to realize halfway through that you forgot valet mode on and can't make the pass.

valet mode is EXACTLY what they do to loaner cars! Except they're capped at 80mph vs 70mph)
mans it should be of note: I have two cars a tesla and an ICE and the tesla is my daily driver maybe once or twice a month I'll drive the OCE for some reason and forget I don't have the tesla power with me until ^^^ happens and realize crap not in the beast.

valet mode is EXACTLY what they do to loaner cars! Except they're capped at 80mph vs 70mph)
mans it should be of note: I have two cars a tesla and an ICE and the tesla is my daily driver maybe once or twice a month I'll drive the OCE for some reason and forget I don't have the tesla power with me until ^^^ happens and realize crap not in the beast.

I've never had a loaner with the max power/acceleration capped. Top speed, yes, not acceleration as Valet mode does.

I've never had a loaner with the max power/acceleration capped. Top speed, yes, not acceleration as Valet mode does.

Agreed. I just picked up an S85 loaner this morning as mine is undergoing minor surgery (next-ten seat installation) and I'm able to get up to the full acceleration levels available. Of course, it pales in comparison with the 515 kW of the P85D so it feels sluggish to me, but it's definitely not capped. I didn't get a chance to test max speed.

The P85D loaner I got a couple of weeks ago had .179 firmware and was not capped in any way. It was interesting to compare it to my P85. Oddly, they told me it was set to go no faster than 80mph when I signed for it, but that turned out not to be the case.

Agreed. I just picked up an S85 loaner this morning as mine is undergoing minor surgery (next-ten seat installation) and I'm able to get up to the full acceleration levels available. Of course, it pales in comparison with the 515 kW of the P85D so it feels sluggish to me, but it's definitely not capped. I didn't get a chance to test max speed.

It must be Next Gen Seat installation day today...my (green) P85D is also in for the same procedure. Coincidentally, I got the 6.2 upgrade last night and noticed a definite improvement in TACC as I was driving to the mothership in Fremont in rush hour traffic. Much smoother operation.

It must be Next Gen Seat installation day today...my (green) P85D is also in for the same procedure. Coincidentally, I got the 6.2 upgrade last night and noticed a definite improvement in TACC as I was driving to the mothership in Fremont in rush hour traffic. Much smoother operation.

Side note, but are you on the Tesla P85D tracking - Google Sheets and if so can you please update column U? Thanks!

My random cuts from a few drives with 6.2:

1) Blind spot warning seems to be pretty far back. I was expecting (hoping) it would trigger when the nearby car is a bit more forward, since there's a tiny gap between a quick sideways glance and where the warning is visible. This robs the feature of all confidence for me, although the beep may be useful someday. The beep can also be easily triggered when passing at speed if you start to move back into the lane of the car you're overtaking.

I think the feature would be much more useful if it was simply "you will hit someone if you change lanes in that direction", but it's not like that today.

2) The speed limit warning sign now has two little white beams that render to the sides. It actually looks a bit like the blind spot warning when it does this.

3) The battery charge indicator at the top (the little one that looks like a cell phone's charge) now shows a small hourglass if you have a scheduled charge. I'm not 100% sure that wasn't there, but it was the first thing I noticed when I got in the car today, so I'm going with it. I'll let the community shout me down if I'm wrong.

Thanks new_user. Interesting change. So now the stalk has a light that's just become redundant. First world problems but hope they remove the light in a future revision unless they don't expect new customers/ex-Mercedes owners to wonder why it doesn't turn on.

fwiw that stalk/light is from MB where is is used ...

Light off = normal cruise control
Light on = "Speedtronic" = max speed set - useful if you are in a speed limit/camera area and with traffic as you can vary your speed but your speed is capped at the limit (or wherever you set it) which avoid inadvertantly going through a camera too quick if the traffic clears for a moment.

In the MB I use it regularly - pity that Tesla haven't implemented the same.

... and yes on the MB the LED is badly placed and normally hidden by the steering wheel

After install of 6.2 I have found that when braking there is now a kind of a jerk as the car comes to a stop. A kind of sqeak and then small reverse movement. For me that was present in the previous release (6.1) when the auto-following cruise control brought the car to a stop but not when I do the braking. I wonder if anyone else has noticed this.

My first experience with the Blind Spot Assist wasn't great.

Missed a few cars on the freeway and unfortunately more frequently had the white marks when there were no cars around at all. Even buzzed me, gave a red warning, as I merged into a completely empty lane.

It was raining, and my car is pretty dirty, hopefully it was just a combination of those two things. All my sensors in parking mode have always seemed very accurate so I don't think I have any malfunctioning hardware. Will continue to monitor it, but was pretty bummed to see it keep warning me on empty roads...

It' better not be because of the XPEL wrap, that would really suck. Since I went with XPEL stealth, I cannot just remove the wrap over the sensor areas or it'll look rediculous

The navigation through superchargers is just weird. For example, from San Jose to Pasadena, it insists I stop at the Gilroy supercharger (30 miles away) for 40 minutes! Starting with 210 rated range. Now, the next supercharger after that is Harris Ranch, which should be okay (147 miles) with that starting charge. I think it wants you to stop at every supercharger?

Hate the blind spot awareness, pathetic implementation. Seriously, white lines below the cluster where you need to take your eyes off the road? Why were there not lights installed on the side view mirrors when the Autopilot hardware came out? If you are checking your side mirrors already, thats where they need to be. Why would you look on the bottom of the cluster?? The lights on the side mirrors are in your peripheral vision and work perfectly. This method is pointless- why they didn't move those lines to the top of the speedometer in the cluster vs. the bottom is also stupid.

The Tesla is high tech and its great in so many ways, but blind spot awareness is a perfect example of how far behind they are in certain areas though. Its a joke IMO

Funny. The orange light for cruise never really bothered me. I very rarely ever saw it since it is so poorly placed! Though, when those two stalks were reversed in their position (awful), it would always be visible and I bet VERY annoying. I just ignored it because all I need to do is look at the speedo to see if it is on.

I will ignore blind spot for the time being. I know how to adjust my mirrors and actually look before changing lanes. Lame-o

What really bugs me is the new SC routing on a trip. A total botch in my opinion. I commented about it on another thread, so will not repeat it here.

I got the 6.2 upgrade last night and noticed a definite improvement in TACC as I was driving to the mothership in Fremont in rush hour traffic. Much smoother operation.

I also got 6.2 installed last night and have been enjoying it all today, TACC definitely is smoother. One thing of concern, on the way home this evening my Radio/Internet Music stopped playing and I could not switch stations. I was able to restore after a soft reboot.

Got 6.2 and drove over 150 miles today in the Bay Area between offices.

- TACC is much smoother overall. Still has room for improvement, e.g. looking at brake lights of several cars in front, not accelerating as aggressively to close gaps. Had to turn off overtake acceleration because it doesn't seem to see cars in the next lane over and I don't like kissing someone's bumper as I enter that lane.
- Bright orange light on cruise control stalk is indeed gone ... so much better.
- Can't confirm why or how, but the acceleration/deceleration seems to be smoother or maybe some roughness has been eliminated in my S85D.
- The new Nav with "The End of Range Anxiety" doesn't work that well ... the interface is clunky and suggested routes are sometimes buggy. There doesn't seem to be a return-route calculation option. I am still going to rely on EVTripplanner.com .. need to drive 280 Rated Miles (RM) tomorrow to Sacramento with a stop in between. Probably will only charge at the Vacaville SC on the way back, but not on the way there. The system doesn't allow me to do what EVTripplanner does.
- Premium upgraded sound system sounds the same to me, and Slacker Radio still sounds more compressed than a YouTube music video on a mobile phone speaker unfortunately.

The car is still pretty awesome, and the winner this patch is definitely the smoother TACC. Keep the improvements coming!

Been using 6.2 a couple days:
- The new nav with "end of range anxiety" is a bit of a joke for me. Tried entering a trip from Seattle (suburb) to Vancouver BC Airport on my 60kwh. It was about a 170 mile trip and my current range was 180 miles. It did not have me stopping for a charge but rather gave me a yellow warning indicator that read "Drive slowly". Really? Not sure that helps reduce my anxiety one bit...
- Since the update, my door handles stopped auto-presenting...frustrated
- Glad to have the blind spot warning - but it is indeed way too subtle and in a location that I am not used to looking. Also had one incident when the double orange/beep/whell vibrate went off and I was not even moving into the other lane
- Loved TACC since it first came out and see some additional smoothness, though it still seems to jam hard on the brakes when coming to full stop. Was also excited to hear about the "30 second" timer before going into "Hold" at a stop. Unfortunately it does not seem to work on the roads I travel to work with stop and go traffic so it did not help in my scenario.