Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 Beta Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish people would stop saying they "removed" the power meter. They "moved" the power meter, which is a different thing altogether. Personally, I'm not even sure I'll choose to display it -- I'm surprised that so many people find it to be a vital function.

Right, they moved it to a far less useful location and also decreased the scaling so it's essentially worthless. This really needs to be fixed before general release. Same with the range display.

I haven't read every single page, but didn't see mention on the page I did read...

I was hoping to see more API Apps on version 7, such as Weather or Waze integration etc ...

I wonder if Tesla will open API to allow 3rd party apps on their system.

Right, they moved it to a far less useful location and also decreased the scaling so it's essentially worthless. This really needs to be fixed before general release. Same with the range display.

I think that's grasping a bit. It's 4 inches to the left and slightly smaller. If that makes it essentially worthless it must not have been worth much to you in the first place.

I was hoping to see more API Apps on version 7, such as Weather or Waze integration etc ...

I wonder if Tesla will open API to allow 3rd party apps on their system.

I seriously doubt any of that is in the cards anytime soon.

Tesla seems to be obsessed with TACC/AP/Self-parking nowadays, and other software projects like an API or third-party app support seems to have gone to the wayside.

Heck, if they just would upgrade the browser to Chrome, and we could write Chrome apps, that would be a big step (as long as we had some sort of read-only API access to on-board metrics).

App that gets altitude via GPS and local wind speed via internet and computes a "bonus" or "hit" on your range depending on how/where you are driving

That's totally doable today with a regular web based app. Someone just has to write it.

Spotify, Pandora etc.

I use my iPhone for Pandora over bluetooth, and it works pretty well.

This whole conversation has made me think more about what I actually use the energy meter for. I have realized that I really use it more while regeneratively braking than anything else. I'll use it at that time to try to gauge how much I should be on the go pedal or, less frequently, on the brake, in order to accomplish whatever it is I'm trying to get the car to do.

Also having that directly in the center of the display, large and in a prominent position, where it should be, means I can see it easily, with my head and eyes still focused straight ahead. Move this off to the side and make it smaller and now I'm going to have to focus harder on that, with my eyes diverted a bit from the center of the road. Someone please explain how that's a good thing, from a safety standpoint.

Removing the power meter (yes, I said removing--as in removing it from the speedometer and removing it from the center of the instrument cluster) is a mistake.

There are times at night when I turn Display Brightness up pretty high, even to 100%. Usually not, but like when I'm parked waiting for something, and am trying to read the map or something on the instrument display.

I worry that this 7.0 style of the mini-car with the bright white circle ahead of the car, indicating a flood of headlight illumination, is going to seriously monopolize the display, in the very most important area of the screen -- the center -- especially when brightness is set high at night.

And for what? How does that silly skeumorphic circle of light around the front of the mini-car actually help the driver accomplish tasks and get information to make decisions? Up to now every car on the planet, Tesla included, has used icons to indicate lowbeam and high beam (blue for highbeam seems to be the univesral standard). It works. People are used to it.

Why muck it up with this stupid artsy Design? It gets in the way. It is a designer saying "look at me." It is not helpful to the driver. In a game UI, maybe. In a car UI, when people's lives are at stake, no frickin' way.

I dread a 7.0 with this little 3D car in the display. It's a huge fail on Tesla's part. It goes against a fundamental principle of good design: you shouldn't even notice it. Good design is invisible; you just do your thing and you're on your way. Bad design wants to be in your face, or gets in your way whether it was intended to or not. This is bad design.

And for what? How does that silly skeumorphic circle of light around the front of the mini-car

Ha ha -- you're absolutely right!! Tesla has gone to great pains to remove all traces of skeumorphism, yet they have that massive toy car in the center of the display, with the flood of skeumorphic white light. If they really want to go all flat and bland, they should use this instead:

Maps - Car.png

This whole conversation has made me think more about what I actually use the energy meter for. I have realized that I really use it more while regeneratively braking than anything else.

To preface, I'm not weighing in on what I do or don't think will be delivered in 7.0 when it comes to my car. However, the analogy of tachometer to the energy meter has been made a few times, and I'll bite. Tachs are useful on manual transmission ICE vehicles. They provide feedback that you could get from experience and the speedometer, but are a much more direct and accurate indicator. They're less useful, though not useless, on automatic ICE vehicles. Energy meters, analogously, are useful on EVs. If one considers the feedback from the energy meter, they can easily extend their range and beat the energy consumption profile of cruise control. Plenty of threads on that.

I use it frequently on trips. If I'm going downhill, I'm OK with gaining a little extra speed in order to stay in "neutral" energy mode - no green, no orange - especially if there's a pending uphill. This makes a difference on range and consumption, and having an indication is helpful. I also use it to make sure I am not accelerating too rapidly if I am trying to stretch my range. Both of these cases can be estimated closely with the speedometer and experience, but I like the instantaneous and more accurate data that the meter provides.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I still travel distances that put me close to the edge of my range. Even when I'm not, I glance at the power usage. Maybe it's just habit now, but I like to try to keep it low or at neutral. When going down a hill for example I keep an eye on it to make sure I don't regen TOO much.

Regen too much? I did not know that was an issue. Can you expand on that concept? Unless the battery is already approaching 100% soc, why would regen too mych be an issue?
Thank you,

Mike

Regen too much? I did not know that was an issue. Can you expand on that concept? Unless the battery is already approaching 100% soc, why would regen too mych be an issue?

Regen is lossy, to the tune of ~30-40%, depending on what you read. So, however, is the drag that results from an increase in speed. Allowing yourself to 'coast' more is generally the more efficient practice, unless that coasting results in a >~20% change in velocity.

Numbers are gleaned mostly from TMC and I haven't done my own math, so take them for what they're worth.

Also having that directly in the center of the display, large and in a prominent position, where it should be, means I can see it easily, with my head and eyes still focused straight ahead. Move this off to the side and make it smaller and now I'm going to have to focus harder on that, with my eyes diverted a bit from the center of the road. Someone please explain how that's a good thing, from a safety standpoint.

You shouldn't be doing more than glancing at the meter, because when your focus is down on the instrument cluster, it is by definition not on the road. Casting your eyes 10 degrees left is trivial compared to the 20 degrees downward, IMO. Personally, I judge how much I should press or let off the pedal by the distance of the car I'm closing in on, not by some scrolling gadget in the instrument cluster.

I'm not trying to judge everyone who needs/wants it so much -- maybe you really are able to drive safer or more efficiently, but I have real trouble imagining how moving it a few inches to side can really adversely impact your use.

I'm not trying to judge everyone who needs/wants it so much -- maybe you really are able to drive safer or more efficiently, but I have real trouble imagining how moving it a few inches to side can really adversely impact your use.

If it were the same display a few inches to one side I don't think it would be much of an issue. But it looks like it is going to be a display that is smaller, with less granularity, and thus harder to get as good information from as easily.

Perhaps we're all worrying about something that we don't need to worry about. It just seems that removing (or moving or changing) features people have come to rely on, without at least providing an option to leave them pretty much unchanged, may not be the best approach.

Some people hate change. So much so that even the possibility seems to have them up in arms.
This seems to be the case even though they haven't tried it, have only seen an image of a beta version of it and don't know what, if any settings may be available for it.

Granularity?? How much do you need?

For me, with the current large display, I simply look at how much orange, or green can be seen. I can't tell if I am running at 50 or 55kW. I don't think making it smaller will have any affect in eyeball accuracy.

Frankly, I'm willing to bet more people find it a waste of space and would welcome moving, or eliminating it.