Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 Beta Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lane keeping can only be as good as lane detection. So far, I have not had any bad lane departure warning yet in my daily commute this summer. We shall see how lane departure warning works in Greater Vancouver in rainy days soon. When AP arrives, I will drive with at least one hand on the wheel. No hand held device while driving is the law in BC.

Lane keeping can only be as good as lane detection. So far, I have not had any bad lane departure warning yet in my daily commute this summer. We shall see how lane departure warning works in Greater Vancouver in rainy days soon. When AP arrives, I will drive with at least one hand on the wheel. No hand held device while driving is the law in BC.

Lane keeping can only be as good as lane detection, but we don't know how good lane detection can possibly get with this hardware. We shouldn't use the current 6.2 feature as a barometer.

If my hands have to be on the wheel, I'm not sure what auto steer accomplishes.
I think lane keeping would reduce muscle fatigue in long drives. Don't you agree that the steering effort if assisted by lane keeping would be less tiring, even if it requires at least one hand to be on the wheel?

I think total hands-free lane keeping is a long way, not just because of technical challenges, but more due to liability and regulatory approval.

- - - Updated - - -

Lane keeping can only be as good as lane detection, but we don't know how good lane detection can possibly get with this hardware. We shouldn't use the current 6.2 feature as a barometer.
Mobileye is researching in how to mimic human holistic lane definition without lane marking. Until then, we are dependent on good lane markings on the road for AP. Certainly, camera contrast detection can be improved, but wet road reflections and blinding sun are still challenges to be overcome.

Interesting thought about the X but we are driving a different car. I for one have no desire to have my car degraded so that the software works on another model. Any changes to the primary display as it is today are, in my opinion, not desired or welcome. Do what you want with the 17 inch display. The primary display works exceptionally well in its current form.

I can think of one reason that they might go to this information reduced design. If the model X were to have a heads up display then this reduced information design would be ideal for the heads up display.

Interesting thought about the X but we are driving a different car. I for one have no desire to have my car degraded so that the software works on another model. Any changes to the primary display as it is today are, in my opinion, not desired or welcome. Do what you want with the 17 inch display. The primary display works exceptionally well in its current form.

That's fine if you don't have (or don't want to use) autopilot; I'm pretty confident that our older cars will be be happy with the new FW. If you do want to have/use autopilot there is a lot of information that will need to be displayed on relatively small screen real estate; somethings gotta give, and some folks will be delighted with the overall package and others less so. I'm sure we'll all get to see it soon enough now.

I have a feeling we are going to see a surge of accidents in AP equipped cars when auto steer does release. The lane departure system is so error prone on just about every trip in any direction I have little confidence in auto steering. Hopefully people really test it out by being immediately ready to intervene if it reads a lane/car and decides to go into a side wall, can't avoid objects, etc.

LOL and we honestly wonder why Tesla is taking their time with this release?

I'm the exact opposite and drive all over the midwest. It always detects bad when the concrete lines maybe go into the wall, but the drawn lanes do a turn. If I had it on in those scenarios I would hit a wall or swerve into the other lane. It doesn't seem to be able to always read drawn lines versus natural road lines. It does work when I expect it to on clearly marked nice roads, but you can't drive anywhere in most of the country without hitting perfect roads. I dunno, maybe you guys in BC have perfect roads hehehe, down here we can't afford to fix anything, especially properly.

Love all of the improvements for us Classic owners! Bring it! :)

The new Hill Hold function is one that I've been requesting for a long time and am glad that Tesla is implementing it. It makes no sense to only hold on hills. It should work in all situations. Looks like we are finally going to get that. The improved driveline performance for classics is also wonderful news. Breathing new life into my 2 year old car... love it!

Wouldn't it be something if the new hill hold didn't work on our classics with the older brake systems?

Watch it require the newer TPMS sensors and thus, my car won't benefit. But I'd be happy to be wrong about this!

Just wait. I'm told that many of the classic S's like mine have the sensors go bad. Mine did this summer! Just got all new ones installed last weekend.

And yea I hear that the SC can see the info about each wheel so it's really got to be just a UI change to add it in.

Can someone explain why this new hill hold is necessary on level ground?

It seems to be working perfectly fine right now as-is on actual "hills".

I don't think things were a big problem the way they were, but I do understand the change.

As I understand it, there were some hills that weren't steep enough to cause hill-hold to engage, but were steep enough to cause the car to start rolling backwards if people weren't quick enough moving from the brake to the go pedal. Now that won't be a problem.

And if I understand the draft notes we really weren't supposed to see correctly, the people who want to roll a little, when parking, etc., (MarcG :) ) may still do so by simply not depressing the brake pedal very hard, thereby not engaging the hill-hold functionality.

So unlike the functionality apparently being taken away in the UI, this really does seem to be the best of both worlds.

This is my first post. I don't have a Model S, but I've been following Tesla and this forum for about 6 months. I feel compelled to weigh in on this because I think this is the first time I have something meaningful to add.

I think people feel they won't know what Autopilot's path will be, but according to the image in post #1049, the caption says, "Shows the projected path that Model S will follow when Autosteer is activated"

For those of you concerned about losing information on the dash while autopilot is engaged, not to worry. I have it on good authority that it's possible to display all relevant information, including temperature and time, simultaneously:

20150919_153737.jpg

Ooops. That's just the dash display on my wife's two year old Volvo. :p