Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 Beta Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I seem to remember folks that held off on 5.8 went straight to 5.9 when they finally installed the update.

I cant seem to find the thread, but I recall reading about someone who had an update pending when they left for a trip, came back a couple of months later, installed the update, and it was the update that was pushed months ago and service had to install the latest. I think this was 5.9->6.0 or something, and he ended up with 5.9 (x.x.x) to 5.9 (y.y.y) instead of 6.0 or 6.1. *shrugs*

You didn't ask me, but I'll answer anyways. Just like with my phone's and computer's OS, I generally shy away from being an early adopter of just released software. Even if it's downloaded and I'm prompted, I'll usually let it sit for a few weeks before I install. On the car I haven't waited as long, but I still haven't hit install right away until after reports chime in here about what to expect. V7 for me will be no different. I'll wait till others report back on what it looks like and how it functions (especially on Classics) before upgrading. I doubt I would go down this road, but if I do see anything that is something I just cannot live with/without, I will avoid installing 7.0 altogether (as much as its within my power) while waiting for improvements.

I'm the opposite, if I get the "new software icon", I'll pull over immediately and install right there!

I'm the opposite, if I get the "new software icon", I'll pull over immediately and install right there!
Sounds like you may have too much time on your hands. Regardless, that's not a good idea because if something goes wrong with the update you may be stuck somewhere away from home. Would you update your computer operating system in the middle of working on an important project?

Sounds like you may have too much time on your hands. Regardless, that's not a good idea because if something goes wrong with the update you may be stuck somewhere away from home. Would you update your computer operating system in the middle of working on an important project?

Did you really need to insult tezzla for sharing enthusiasm? Jeez...

Yeah no kidding, yikes. I would have assumed most of us here (owners of Tesla) share the similar early adopter DNA as tezzla anyways. I know I do.

I agree the insult was unnecessary, though I expect TexasEV didn't mean it as much of an insult, but more of a joke.

More importantly, though, I think his warning is both well-intentioned, and important for people to be aware of.

We're all going to be excited when we see that notification that we have an update available. The desire to update immediately and see the new UI and the new features we've been waiting for so long as soon as possible will be strong, and hard to resist. TexasEV's point that something could go wrong with the update procedure, and that it's almost certainly better to let the update take place when the car is parked in a safe place, as opposed to at the side of the road, is a valid one. So we can chastise him for the insult or bad joke, but let's also thank him for what could, for many, prove to be an important safety reminder.

I agree the insult was unnecessary, though I expect TexasEV didn't mean it as much of an insult, but more of a joke.

More importantly, though, I think his warning is both well-intentioned, and important for people to be aware of.

We're all going to be excited when we see that notification that we have an update available. The desire to update immediately and see the new UI and the new features we've been waiting for so long as soon as possible will be strong, and hard to resist. TexasEV's point that something could go wrong with the update procedure, and that it's almost certainly better to let the update take place when the car is parked in a safe place, as opposed to at the side of the road, is a valid one. So we can chastise him for the insult or bad joke, but let's also thank him for what could, for many, prove to be an important safety reminder.
That's fair but I am sure tezzla was joking when he said would pull over and install it. I hope anyways [emoji1]

Last edited:
That's fair but I am sure tezzla was joking when he said would pull over and install it. I hope anyways [emoji1]

He well may have been joking.

But there are people reading the forums that are relatively new members, or are relatively new to their cars, and may not realize what's involved in accepting and starting an update, in spite of the warning on the screen. I think as far as a PSA goes, TexasEV's post was helpful. That's really all I was trying to say.

Sorry if anyone took my post the wrong way. I wasn't trying to be insulting. Sometimes it's hard to get the right tone in posts or emails when you're not talking to the person.
I don't know if Tezzla was joking. I've read stories here of people installing immediately and being surprised they were stuck for a while, including one who tried to install while supercharging. Needless to say that didn't go well.

I am too thick skinned to get insulted, but I really appreciate you guys standing up for me, thanks.

I got my 1st tesla in August 2013 and never had a problem installing an update. And I do have plenty of free time on my hands, kids off to college, my wife is a workaholic and I'm not working. Bring on the late update!

- - - Updated - - -

The tire pressure monitor display is only going to work with the newer TPMS sensor setup. Older VINs aren't going to have this display. (Not sure what the cut point was.)

Wow, that's a bummer