Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 Beta Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm. Well, this I was told differently, however it'd be an expensive retrofit. Replacement of the TPMS control module along with all of the TPMS sensors on the wheels, to the tune of "several thousand dollars." Definitely not worth it.

Tesla has done it to a few older cars as reported on here. Perhaps they have run out of supply of the old modules (and won't order another run)?

Hmm. Well, this I was told differently, however it'd be an expensive retrofit. Replacement of the TPMS control module along with all of the TPMS sensors on the wheels, to the tune of "several thousand dollars." Definitely not worth it.

Ah. They told me an entire new wiring harness would be needed. Either way thousand of dollars just for individual tire pressures not worth it. After.

As far as I can tell that's just pure speculation at this point, nobody seems to actually know that, and several people have indicated that the old TPMS modules did seem to report an actual pressure on the diagnostics screens, so I wouldn't give up on that one yet.

Just like everyone was so sure that we wouldn't get the back-up lines on the camera display because the hardware was not up to it. Hmmm...

Just like everyone was so sure that we wouldn't get the back-up lines on the camera display because the hardware was not up to it. Hmmm...

I feel the same way. Service told me clearly and explicitly, when I asked, that they can see the individual tire pressures in their back-end systems. I've read that the older cars have a single TPMS receiver while the newer TPMS system utilizes two receivers. As I understand it, each TPMS sensor broadcasts its serial number and pressure reading. I've read that the newer system with two receivers is supposed to automatically know the location of each tire on the car, while the older system with a single receiver would require service to map each TPMS serial number to a physical location on the car. Tesla's software could very easily manage both systems, with the latter requiring whoever rotates your tires to remap the TPMS locations. This is all rather greek to me, anyway, so I'm keeping the faith! :)

I shouldn't be wasting my time replying, but here we go:
1. Before I bought my car I received a phone call from a regional sales supervisor, who had heard that I was on the fence because I figured I'd wait before buying for adaptive cruise control (ACC), a late 90's feature, as well as blind spot detection. He told me don't worry, he has seen it tested in california, and tesla would find a way to get basic upgrades like that to earlier customers. I stupidly didnt get that in writing from him, thinking that Tesla salesmen were different from a GM salesman. When autopilot came out, this retrofit proved to be an illusion.
2. However, there was a way to achieve ACC in pre-autopilot Tesla's, or a rough approximation thereof. People have been installing Mobileye units on their teslas which disengage cruise control by tapping the brake when it senses something too close. Mobileye also has a version that provides full ACC on the BMW I3, that they are rolling out to other OEM channels. Tesla doesnt like the mobileye retrofit product, because it gives owners one less excuse to trade in an old MS to a new one. Whenever there is a software upgrade, Tesla disables the hooks that Mobileye installers use to tie into the MS, forcing people to take their cars back to the Mobileye installer for a fix. I note that tesla uses a Mobileye system in its autopilot. I am not asking for a free mobileye install form tesla, but would be happy to pay for one that they do. Alternatively, let me just go to a third party installer without Tesla's interference.
3. As has been cited earlier in this string (around page 60?), updating the display on a car creates a safety issue for people accustomed to getting their information from the screen in a split second a certain way, and now are forced to adapt to a new screen layout and "go fishing". This is not a matter of a new skin for a cellphone -- this is your car's main interface with you as you careen down the highway at 60-80 miles an hour. THIS IS A SAFETY ISSUE, not one of pure cosmetics.
4. To those of you who say, "don't judge before you see", that is fair, but we have seen plenty of sneaked screenshots on this forum, and I am reacting to those, with the caveat that my criticism of the interface goes away if they give us the option of electing to maintain a classic mode display.
5. As far as the puffery and stock manipulation -- perhaps I used words I shouldnt use in a public forum, but I have been on wall street for 30 years and am a securities lawyer by training and have seen enough. I wont say anything more.
I love my P85, am happy with most enhancements, but have made my points here. Selling it because I am not progressive enough for a tesla (the typical fanboy response to any tesla criticism) would kill me in depreciation.

I shouldn't be wasting my time replying, but here we go

Yep... at least you know what you're getting into. I've mostly given up on stuff like this. lol.

1. Before I bought my car I received a phone call from a regional sales supervisor, who had heard that I was on the fence because I figured I'd wait before buying for adaptive cruise control (ACC), a late 90's feature, as well as blind spot detection. He told me don't worry, he has seen it tested in california, and tesla would find a way to get basic upgrades like that to earlier customers. I stupidly didnt get that in writing from him, thinking that Tesla salesmen were different from a GM salesman. When autopilot came out, this retrofit proved to be an illusion.

This was probably the most disappointing thing for many earlier owners. It was certainly a calculated decision, likely to spur their CPO program. *shrugs*

2. However, there was a way to achieve ACC in pre-autopilot Tesla's, or a rough approximation thereof. People have been installing Mobileye units on their teslas which disengage cruise control by tapping the brake when it senses something too close. Mobileye also has a version that provides full ACC on the BMW I3, that they are rolling out to other OEM channels. Tesla doesnt like the mobileye retrofit product, because it gives owners one less excuse to trade in an old MS to a new one. Whenever there is a software upgrade, Tesla disables the hooks that Mobileye installers use to tie into the MS, forcing people to take their cars back to the Mobileye installer for a fix. I note that tesla uses a Mobileye system in its autopilot. I am not asking for a free mobileye install form tesla, but would be happy to pay for one that they do. Alternatively, let me just go to a third party installer without Tesla's interference.

This is interesting, and if true is something unique to Tesla since other manufactures wouldn't have a way to remotely cripple aftermarket stuff like that. I'd be curious to hear more about this.

3. As has been cited earlier in this string (around page 60?), updating the display on a car creates a safety issue for people accustomed to getting their information from the screen in a split second a certain way, and now are forced to adapt to a new screen layout and "go fishing". This is not a matter of a new skin for a cellphone -- this is your car's main interface with you as you careen down the highway at 60-80 miles an hour. THIS IS A SAFETY ISSUE, not one of pure cosmetics.

Not sure I agree here. I regularly used to switch vehicles, or get in rental cars, etc, and have no issue adapting to the new layout of information immediately. It's still a car, nothing fundamental has changed about the information. It's not like they're forcing us to use different units. Pretty sure speed is still MPH. :)

4. To those of you who say, "don't judge before you see", that is fair, but we have seen plenty of sneaked screenshots on this forum, and I am reacting to those, with the caveat that my criticism of the interface goes away if they give us the option of electing to maintain a classic mode display.

I mentioned previously that I think part of the design overhaul ditched the texturing and such of some of the controls in an effort to save on GPU/CPU overhead, which I think makes sense. So, if that's the case I don't think there will be an option for the "classic" display.

5. As far as the puffery and stock manipulation -- perhaps I used words I shouldnt use in a public forum, but I have been on wall street for 30 years and am a securities lawyer by training and have seen enough. I wont say anything more.
I love my P85, am happy with most enhancements, but have made my points here. Selling it because I am not progressive enough for a tesla (the typical fanboy response to any tesla criticism) would kill me in depreciation.

I recently cashed out 100% of my TSLA holdings... fortunately prior to this downward trend. I'll probably do a write up on my reasons for that later.

Look at that... time, temp, miles, kw tics, non-overpowering headlights, etc.. Are all the major complaints addressed?

press01_autopilot_dash.jpg

Look at that... time, temp, miles, kw tics, non-overpowering headlights, etc.. Are all the major complaints addressed?
1/3 of the display used up for a UI element that used to be part of the speedometer? I don't think that's going to satisfy all the complaints. In fact they even took the graph out of the middle of it so you don't get the extra info you had before, if they insist on robbing half the screen, they should at least integrate it with the other graph as we saw before, but with better detail. This view is an incredible waste of space for what it provides.

Analog's advantage is that it's much easier to determine rate of change than with digital. I think it's desirable and important to have analog displays for speed and power.

IMO this is a silly complaint. Many cars have had digital-only speedometers for many many years now. To be honest, the analog one Tesla included previously was pretty surprising.

IMO this is a silly complaint. Many cars have had digital-only speedometers for many many years now. To be honest, the analog one Tesla included previously was pretty surprising.

I don't see you having addressed bollar's (IMO perfectly valid) point about the qualitative difference between analog and digital, just engaged in a little mild name-calling. As far as I'm concerned, Tesla's integration of analog and digital with the previous (well, still "current") speedo was a very nice piece of design and made effective use of the display.

I've never seen a digital-only speedo. Can you point me to one? My brief search didn't come up with any examples.

In any event, I do understand how an analog gauge would benefit me, though I can see how one who intends to be auto piloted around would draw a different conclusion.