Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 Beta Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before the dust settles on 7.0, note that more UI changes are coming in 7.1, per this tweet from Elon to a friend of mine, whose car does not have AP, asking about the release.
View attachment 97378

Well this is interesting. Preemptively addressing the complaints they know will arise as a result of 7.0? Glad I've been planning all along to hold off until 7.1 if necessary.

So to be clear, if Tesla sends you V7, your not going to upgrade?

You didn't ask me, but I'll answer anyways. Just like with my phone's and computer's OS, I generally shy away from being an early adopter of just released software. Even if it's downloaded and I'm prompted, I'll usually let it sit for a few weeks before I install. On the car I haven't waited as long, but I still haven't hit install right away until after reports chime in here about what to expect. V7 for me will be no different. I'll wait till others report back on what it looks like and how it functions (especially on Classics) before upgrading. I doubt I would go down this road, but if I do see anything that is something I just cannot live with/without, I will avoid installing 7.0 altogether (as much as its within my power) while waiting for improvements.

If necessary. Meaning if I have any qualms about the UI, I'll be holding off for a while. The flat UI doesn't matter much. It's the functionality. I want to see some solid evidence that the dash has been preserved on classic model s.

Keep in mind that in the past when people have ignored the little update icon, and later go to update, the car will never download anything OTA until the next OTA after you do the original update. You might have to go to the service center if you wait too long.

You didn't ask me, but I'll answer anyways. Just like with my phone's and computer's OS, I generally shy away from being an early adopter of just released software. Even if it's downloaded and I'm prompted, I'll usually let it sit for a few weeks before I install. On the car I haven't waited as long, but I still haven't hit install right away until after reports chime in here about what to expect. V7 for me will be no different. I'll wait till others report back on what it looks like and how it functions (especially on Classics) before upgrading. I doubt I would go down this road, but if I do see anything that is something I just cannot live with/without, I will avoid installing 7.0 altogether (as much as its within my power) while waiting for improvements.

Exactly the same here.

Exactly the same here.

I'm generally one to take the leap and upgrade as soon as a major feature-rich release is out, even if I know there are invariably going to be bugs. I've been doing that with one of my Macs and one of my iOS devices for the last few years now and it's worked out pretty well.

Especially with lane-keeping, I really don't mind taking an early 7.0 release and will upgrade as soon as it's available. Besides, it's been in beta for a while so I'm counting on that feedback to have addressed most bugs by now.

Can't wait till Thursday for my firmware update notification!

EM recently confirmed on Twitter than the garage auto parking and major UI interface changes are coming in 7.1. I haven't had the Tesla long enough to know and while I know that no one knows for sure what will happen this time, how long has Tesla historically taken from a x.0 release to the x.1?

EM recently confirmed on Twitter than the garage auto parking and major UI interface changes are coming in 7.1. I haven't had the Tesla long enough to know and while I know that no one knows for sure what will happen this time, how long has Tesla historically taken from a x.0 release to the x.1?

Be careful. When someone asked if "auto-parking" would be enabled in 7.0, Elon tweeted "yes". I may have missed another tweet that you are referencing, but if that's the one, it doesn't imply that garage auto parking is available. I think it only refers to parallel parking, which is in line with other reports to date.

Screen Shot 2015-10-11 at 8.55.51 AM (2).png

Be careful. When someone asked if "auto-parking" would be enabled in 7.0, Elon tweeted "yes". I may have missed another tweet that you are referencing, but if that's the one, it doesn't imply that garage auto parking is available. I think it only refers to parallel parking, which is in line with other reports to date.
Check again. He clarified that the garage parking specifically is coming in 7.1

So wait, the UI changes are coming in 7.1, but Autopilot and version 7 are coming next Thursday... so does that mean the v7 we are going to get on Thursday is not going to be the "flat" UI that we've seen out there, it's going to just be v6.X with some new functionality and Autopilot?

So wait, the UI changes are coming in 7.1, but Autopilot and version 7 are coming next Thursday... so does that mean the v7 we are going to get on Thursday is not going to be the "flat" UI that we've seen out there, it's going to just be v6.X with some new functionality and Autopilot?

The one coming this week will have the "flat" UI and autopilot. Later 7.1 will come and add more features and a better more complex UI.