Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 Beta Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haven't read all the messages yet. But in my classic 60, I just got notice of an update. Is there another version of 6.2 available? I thought I was totally up to date. I seriously doubt Im getting 7.0. I'm usually among the last to get new FW...I'll find out tonite I guess!

I like this. Better than any clock.

View attachment 91700

*in my best cheech and chong voice* you couldn't handle that on strong acid, maaaan

- - - Updated - - -

"Go train yourself how to drive a Tesla properly!" Talk about something the mass-market would love to hear!
LOL I went out and did this for my own curiosity and also so I would know when ppl behind me would and wouldn't see brake lights... Mostly for my own safety but also for courtesy to others behind me. I am by no means suggesting everyone must or should do this... It wouldn't hurt of they did, but to each his own. Live and let live

This firmware went out to beta testing 48 hrs ago and don't forget the testing of the AP features, it'll likely be anything from a couple of weeks to a couple of months before it goes out for general release.
Ugh. Owning a Tesla is a lesson in patience. Order then wait... delivery notification then wait... autopilot then wait... updated firmware - you get the picture. Good things come to those, I suppose. :)

I actually would have preferred yet another arc when TACC is engaged. I would want a hollow or inside-the-arc arc that shows my accelerator pedal position if I applied pressure and turned off TACC. This way, it allows me to power-match my foot to the current energy condition of the car so when TACC is turned off, there is no abrupt transition. Yes, I am an everyday driver who sometimes like this level of data. It's not confusing ... it's simply reading a picture the way we do when doing something much more complex, like pouring water into a glass.

It could be indicated by the actual Regen Bar going from Orange (Andyw2100 Edit--Really Green, as SWF2Fiddler noted later) to Red. Takes up no more room as you're using the same analog sweepy arc thing.

Assuming Tesla isn't really taking away our beloved combined speedometer / power meter, or if are, but later decide to bring it back, one way to represent the status of the brake lights that would work even for the color blind (I believe), and building off SW2Fiddler's idea, would be to add an outline in red, (perhaps with shading or spacing or something for the colorblind) around the outside of the green regen meter when the red brake lights are on during regen. The meaning would be pretty intuitive. (Red added to green.)

As for Khatsalano's idea, I --LOVE-- that idea! I've never seen anyone mention something like that before. And it wouldn't be used only when someone was turning TACC off. It could be used with TACC on as well.

There are lots of times while using TACC that I try to perfectly match the accelerator pedal power. For example, if I have TACC set, and I'm being passed by a car that is then going to cut in too close in front of me, such that TACC is going to regeneratively brake unnecessarily, I attempt to match the position of the accelerator pedal before this happens, so that I don't brake for no reason, since I know in just a few seconds the car that cut me off is going to be far enough ahead of me that the TACC would not be braking. But getting that exact match is difficult, and often I'll either accelerate a little bit, or brake a bit. Khatsalano's suggestion would make this a heck of a lot easier.

I also agree with the major critiques regarding v7. I have no problem with the current UI. But seeing as they are switching to a flatter look, I'll give my critiques along with possible ways to improve.

Put the real-time power back in the center of the display. Perhaps put it as a second bar underneath the speedometer?

Put the status bar back at the bottom.

While I'd rather have the battery back in the center as well, I understand that with autopilot that they're probably trying to keep the display uniform as much as possible between the two (autopilot on/autopilot off(n/a)). So, how about adding it there at the bottom left and moving the other info over so it can all be present.

Haven't read all the messages yet. But in my classic 60, I just got notice of an update. Is there another version of 6.2 available? I thought I was totally up to date. I seriously doubt Im getting 7.0. I'm usually among the last to get new FW...I'll find out tonite I guess!

What version are you on currently? If you're not on 2.5.36, it is probably that. If you are already, then it may be something else.

Pls update us.

I seriously doubt it. What is far more likely is fat-fingering some VINs in the authorization process for EAP rollouts.

No sane company would fake-release product updates to solicit feedback in this manner. The feedback being generated here is extremely low signal-to-noise ratio.

Nor would anyone in their right mind fake-release a crappy product so their actual product looks better in comparison.

SNR definitely approaches zero here.

Wow, its shocking to me how adverse people are to folks simply offering an opinion on a forum. That's what forums are for guys. And I do think many of the issues raised here are legitimate and need to be considered before general release. It's not just design, it's functionality (or lack there of) in many cases that is getting the most attention here.

You have no idea. Those might have become user choices...like having the option to personalize your desktop. They might have been moved someplace else. They might show up at various times when driving...like a slideshow. Maybe they've become part of a menu that you scroll through. Yep, maybe they are gone.

I understand change can be difficult for some and that there's people who like what they like and everything else be damned. But you just might want to wait and see for yourself, use it a bit, and then judge how useful and effective it is for you. Sometimes we can be surprised in a good way and realize after the fact that the new way is a better way. You've not even bothered to keep an open mind. You've already decided.

And again, if it turns out that Tesla entirely missed the boat on this new version and it's received with worldwide contempt, I'd bet my own money that Tesla will respond to constructive input from customers (who have used it) and make necessary changes down the road....and at no charge to you. How freaking cool has it been for the last 3 years to have the car get better and how freaking cool will it be to have the car get better after firmware 7.0?

There has to be some sort of astrological phenomena going on because this forum has gone to 11 in negativity recently.
That's pretty absolute! As for me I'm pretty sure that some folks on this forum have real ideas about usability.

I currently have a pet peeve with Firefox. The developers updated the UI but removed an option in Firefox that I had shown several co-workers. They all loved it because it made navigating easier. The Firefox engineers don't seem to care because like usual THEY know better.

So far I'm trying to keep an open mind about 7.0 but if Tesla really takes away notable information from the IC without giving reasonable options to make it available, they may be making a mistake.

Like Firefox it would be great If Tesla could give us an app where we could drag-n-drop pieces of UI to where we wanted them and then save it and have the IC update with the new layout!

Seems to be several posts here indicating folks are somewhat out of line for evaluating what may not even be a final design.

My personal DEFCON level is tied to the level of certainty that what I'm seeing is representative of a final product. At this point that's rather low. This could be an engineering test version with placeholder GFX to test underlying plumbing changes, it could be one of a dozen different UX style alternatives, it could be a version rejected some time back, etc... Or it could be a late release candidate. We don't know.

That having been said, I'm going to react to what I do or don't like about it. And, in an attempt to "keep the SNR level high", several folks did so providing with specific examples of why, and providing the reasoning for the comments. We also provided constructive feedback regarding what we feel makes up a good UI in general, and one for piloting an EV in specific.

That's a far cry from "Dude, that dash sux!!1!"

Given this appears to be an inadvertent push from Tesla we don't have a lot of info to go on. Thus, you need to modulate your personal level of concern over both the UI itself, and the responses to it, appropriately.

But don't take a reasonably well-thought out response and assume that the poster doesn't realize this could not be indicative of the final product at all.

That's pretty absolute! As for me I'm pretty sure that some folks on this forum have real ideas about usability.

I currently have a pet peeve with Firefox. The developers updated the UI but removed an option in Firefox that I had shown several co-workers. They all loved it because it made navigating easier. The Firefox engineers don't seem to care because like usual THEY know better.

So far I'm trying to keep an open mind about 7.0 but if Tesla really takes away notable information from the IC without giving reasonable options to make it available, they may be making a mistake.

Like Firefox it would be great If Tesla could give us an app where we could drag-n-drop pieces of UI to where we wanted them and then save it and have the IC update with the new layout!

If Tesla didn't care about the UI, they wouldn't have beta testing & solicit input from a pre-selected group of customers. They'd just use professional drivers to test the functionality and call it a day. But they don't do that.

A customizable drag and drop UI for a vehicle would be a really bad idea - 'Where did I put that button?' is not the question I want to hear the driver mumble while speeding along in heavy traffic. :)

If Tesla didn't care about the UI, they wouldn't have beta testing & solicit input from a pre-selected group of customers. They'd just use professional drivers to test the functionality and call it a day. But they don't do that.

A customizable drag and drop UI for a vehicle would be a really bad idea - 'Where did I put that button?' is not the question I want to hear the driver mumble while speeding along in heavy traffic. :)

Well maybe not drag and drop, but offer a limited selection of pre-designed layouts.. Classic, New, Vista, etc.