Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 Beta Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a fair point, but it doesn't really impact the substantive criticisms that have been leveled upthread. For example--if a Tesla engineer reading this sees complaints about no energy meter and thinks to herself "lol that can be switched back on at the touch of a button," well, OK. No harm, no foul.

Well, if said software dev thought that that was the take away regarding power meter then they really missed the point (IMO). Not gonna do a rehash of the debate here, but the issue is not that it can't be switched back on, it's that it forces us to give up half the IC to display something that used to be default.

I think most of us have been pretty accurate with regards to our statements about the power meter. We know it's available via the Energy display, but want it back in the center, as an "always on" display when the car is in drive mode.

Also, regarding the AC issue. I agree it looks off, but also, it's set on custom, and if I remember correctly from the few times I've switched to a custom setting, doesn't it always show like so--a fan with the word custom--I'll go to my car and check. Going to a doctor appointment so I'll edit later.

This is what the current UI looks like when climate control is off.
f2dd1f82d6e5dfbd28a6c5d59d57202a.jpg

A lot more data there.

And, yes, I was being overly brief in my earlier description. What I meant was, if the power meter can be switched back on in its present form, then it's no big deal. Agree that having to use a side panel to get the power meter (esp if it's dumbed down like the ones in the pics) isn't a good substitute.

Maybe the issue is that the software engineers doesnt drive a Tesla? The looks of the European DAB-radio interface for instance indicates that the person who programmed it probably has never seen or used a real DAB-radio.

Maybe others are more eagle-eyed than I, but how have you determined that his HVAC is running? The greyed-out status shown here (LO nearly invisible) looks exactly like what happens when you press the HVAC power off button on the current implementation. I'd have said what's there looks exactly identical to what we have now but with flatter imagery.

At least with today's UI, it says "Climate off". With the new UI, as you and others have pointed out, the only way to know if it's off is by looking at the shade of the temperature indicator. That is a step backwards. Less information is provided at a glance.

Bonnie, have you already configured your Model X for delivery in late September?

I do not know why you are asking her that question, and in a thread about the next firmware version. If she has configured and has been told by Tesla to keep quiet about it, she will keep quiet. If she has configured and been told by Tesla it's okay to tell people then she will tell us when she decides to tell us, not when you ask her publicly.
Moderators, AR's post and my response should be moved to a relevant thread.

I didn't realize censorship was the norm in this group, moving my original question to Bonnie to random-chitchat forum where nobody will see the question. My question is very much on-topic because there is speculation that Model X will not ship with anything less than 7.0. I believe it is germane to this discussion to know whether Model X reservation holders might have already configured their cars. Someone here said that perhaps Model X owners have already configured their vehicles, I was simply asking one of them if that was true. If so, that gives us great hope that 7 will hit before the end of September. How is this off-topic?

Ecarfan, why don't you leave it up to Bonnie if she wants to answer me directly rather than answering for her, and playing the censorship police on behalf of Tesla Motors?

Last edited:
Well there is that big off button at the bottom....

And the button itself gives no indication whether it's on or off. Look at the 6.2 shot above - the button looks like it's on even though Climate is off. Then look at all of the buttons along the bottom row of the 7.0 screen shot I posted upthread. They are all dim. There is no way to tell by looking what is on and what is off. At least in 6.2 it actually says "Climate Off".

And the button itself gives no indication whether it's on or off. Look at the 6.2 shot above - the button looks like it's on even though Climate is off. Then look at all of the buttons along the bottom row of the 7.0 screen shot I posted upthread. They are all dim. There is no way to tell by looking what is on and what is off. At least in 6.2 it actually says "Climate Off".

Go the the very first post on this thread and look at the very first image. The climate is on and the button is bright blue. Can't miss it.

While this is true for the 17" touchscreen, which is actually a user interface, I think for the images we have seen of the IC (which is an 'output only' device) , we can draw solid conclusions on it without having it right in front of us.

I've seen this assertion a few times now, and it baffles me. Of course one can always construct a definition of "user interface" such that the IC doesn't qualify, but it's an information emitter with interactive components (both real-time configuration and response to user inputs ranging from scroll wheels to the accelerator), so by any reasonable definition, it's a user interface in my book.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it's much more likely that the pictures we've seen (which all consistently show a toy car, whether or not there is AP hardware, and which all show a relocated energy meter) reflect changes in the display that cannot be deselected. In that case, I hope the various engineers at Tesla are paying attention, because I stand by my criticism above. These changes are not for the better.

I agree with your thought here. The UI looks like a deliberate design decision. Being in the software biz, I've seen far more intentional changes than those driven by whim or gross incompetence, and that leads me to believe these are motivated changes and have some strength of convictions behind them. What exactly motivated them I can't say, but have conjectured in other posts.

For myself as an incoming buyer, I don't expect I will be slavishly monitoring the energy guide (I simply don't want to work that hard). So the loss of the instantaneous energy guide in the speedometer doesn't bother me. But as someone will no doubt point out, I have no skin currently in the game (and no learned comfort to overcome). Just 48 hours of driving in a few Model S cars.

Last edited:
Yup.

edit: I really don't want Tesla to be like Intuit that changes the UI on Quicken on EVERY SINGLE RELEASE. And every new release fixes the bugs from the previous release, but introduces a dozen more each time. I'm still complaining to them about bugs that have been around for the last three major releases.
Maybe we need to start a Quicken thread. I've been using it for 20+ years and it just keeps getting worse. It's clearly the worst personal financial application out there except for everything else.