Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 Beta Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone explain why this new hill hold is necessary on level ground?

It seems to be working perfectly fine right now as-is on actual "hills".

Yes. This is because you can have significant ergonomic relief while at intersections using a manual brake hold. Like in a Mercedes. Also, the smaller hills are not being easily recognized right now by the car, so this allows the user to manually set a hill hold.

- K

Simple physics from an Orthopaedic surgeon. Inertia means that when rear ended the body is driven back into the seat. Hence the head restraint. The secondary force, much reduced over the former swings the head forward. However, if there is a secondary collision forward, then inertia applies again and the head jerks forward violently. So, a double impact is far worse than a single rear impact. Keep your brakes on!

And if the collision from the rear is big enough the airbags will deploy. By the time the secondary collision occurs the will have deflated somewhat, mitigating their benefit when they would be most useful.

Simple physics says that when hit from behind your foot will come off the brakes. This happened to my wife in a 5 - 10mph collision. So no matter how hard you try you won't have brakes, at least for the critical moment you need them most. As has been said before, having your car move the least reduces acceleration to the occupants. That's the safest thing to happen! Even in the case of kids in the rear facing seat. Tesla didn't get a 5 star safety rating for nothing! So, if what other folks have stated already, having the car put on the brakes for you and displaying the brake lights all the while seems to be the best thing to do in all cases.

I personally think that Tesla got it 100% right this time! Thanks Tesla!!!

It is not required on the IC no matter where you live.

It certainly is. It's not too long until the temperature gets close to 0 C here and it is a huge difference in road conditions between a icy/wet road at 0 C and a wet road at 5 C, even though they will look identical. I'm really worried about the removal of outside temperature from the IC since it removes a vital information on winter/autumn conditions. The only thing more important is speed, everything else is less important than temperature on these conditions (yes, even range).

edit: It's also noteworthy that temperature is most important when the temperature is close to 0 C and the road is wet. The road conditions are typically worse at these temperatures than a snow covered (even with ice) at -20 C.

It certainly is. It's not too long until the temperature gets close to 0 C here and it is a huge difference in road conditions between a icy/wet road at 0 C and a wet road at 5 C, even though they will look identical. I'm really worried about the removal of outside temperature from the IC since it removes a vital information on winter/autumn conditions. The only thing more important is speed, everything else is less important than temperature on these conditions (yes, even range).

edit: It's also noteworthy that temperature is most important when the temperature is close to 0 C and the road is wet. The road conditions are typically worse at these temperatures than a snow covered (even with ice) at -20 C.

No, it isn't. That information is important, however, it doesn't need to be in the drivers console, the main console would be sufficient.
Or perhaps the entire drivers console would switch to blue when getting close to freezing.

Just kidding, sort of. There are all sorts of options which we just won't know about until 7.0 is out in its final form.

For all we know someone on the EAP may have very well pointed out to Tesla they dislike the fact that the only way to see the exterior temp is to put up with a rubbish looking analogue clock taking up 50% of the dash real estate.

Even more obvious to point out would be a cheesy analogue clock, with a digital clock inside, as well as a digital clock on the touchscreen, effectively showing a clock 3 times but temperature only once is daft. Hopefully that "someone" has pointed this out and it gets fixed prior to full release.

TBH I wish Tesla had as many clocks around the business, they might get product out on time* :p

(*Saying that none of these clocks may have a date function ;) )

I know of a case my SO's law partner had right now. It was from a road rage incident. The guy who rear ended the other car had a rear camera and dash cam so he caught the whole thing. The other driver zoomed around the other car and slammed on the brakes giving him no chance to stop. Then to add hit and run to the charges, he drove off without stopping. The guy who caused the accident had a big truck and the car with the cameras was small, so the truck was still drivable, but the small car was totaled. The dashcam footage proved the car was not at fault.

I had an accident many years ago where I had to stop on a curving freeway transition ramp due to a backup. Someone ran into me from behind and the jolt knocked my foot off the brake and drove my car into the car in front. I suffered some minor neck injury, but was otherwise OK. The guy who ran into me was uninsured and I was driving a rental car, so it did become a mess between my insurance company, the rental car's insurance and the guy who caused the accident. The rental car company tried to come after me for the repairs, but they eventually backed off.

I don't understand what this has to do with standing at a red light without brake lights?

I have to say that the people that think a temp display is "superfluous" likely live in places where it doesn't routinely ice.

My last car did have a temp display, but it would also flash up a warning that said something like "Ice Possible" when the temperature dropped to near freezing. Actually not a bad idea when driving in the wet as the sun goes down. Nice reminder to take it easy.

- - - Updated - - -

That is an easy firmware fix. When hill hold is activated illuminate brake lights.

It already does that.

The temperature on the 17" display is fine. You don't need it right in front of your face all of the time.

You can also encounter icy conditions when the air temperature is 3 degC too, or more. For example, depending on the road surface, cloud cover, time of day, inversion conditions, and wind conditions, the air temperature could be well above freezing and you will still encounter ice on the roads.

All of the talk about "the temperature has to be in front of my face" is silly. If it's close to freezing, an occasional glance every few minutes is all you need to know that you're in the danger zone. Relying on an air temperature sensor showing 0degC to anticipate whether ice exists on the road is dangerous anyway.

Simplest example: Air temperature can be above freezing, but if driving over an overpass you can still have ice on the roads.

The temperature on the 17" display is fine. You don't need it right in front of your face all of the time.

You can also encounter icy conditions when the air temperature is 3 degC too, or more. For example, depending on the road surface, cloud cover, time of day, inversion conditions, and wind conditions, the air temperature could be well above freezing and you will still encounter ice on the roads.

All of the talk about "the temperature has to be in front of my face" is silly. If it's close to freezing, an occasional glance every few minutes is all you need to know that you're in the danger zone. Relying on an air temperature sensor showing 0degC to anticipate whether ice exists on the road is dangerous anyway.

Simplest example: Air temperature can be above freezing, but if driving over an overpass you can still have ice on the roads.

I'm not saying you need it in front of your face at all times. I'm just saying it's not superfluous, in that it is information that can be very useful at times.

Same is true of the clock, or the date, or pretty much anything on the display.

I mean, to be honest, in most of the driving that I do I don't need ANY of the information that's on the display. I don't need to know the temp, the time, the date, the SOC, the amount of power or regen, or even what my speed is (since I'm typically driving in traffic where the speed of surrounding traffic is far more important than my actual speed).

So they could take all of that away and I'd be fine.

Doesn't mean they should.

The temp output on the 17" display is gone in 7 beta. Reference the OP.

They've replaced it as an app, according to sources. Here's a leaked photo of the new thermometer.

0M2eK.png