Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 Beta Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: SC called me back. Said it looks like a symptom of a hardware related problem. Probably need to take the car in for service to get it to update properly. I may have an older version of some part that has to be swapped out.

Update again: My drive unit has a part that is incompatible with AP. Taking it in tomorrow to get replaced.

TL;DR: If your installation fails, call your local SC. You may need to have your car serviced.

Just balancing the negativity by the loud few:

I LOVE the new UI, I LOVE the car showing which sensors it sees and where in the lane it is. I LOVE almost everything about the new IC.

Yeah, because the forum is filled with those negative people and their posts... :)

Seriously: good for you. I'm sure this will work great for many people. I am well aware that I am in a minority here.

Did this person do something wrong in this case with autopilot? I know it is normally meant for highway, but what do you think happened here since there are double yellow lines?

I wonder if the sunlight coming through the trees causes the camera to have to adjust its aperture / exposure and it couldn't do it fast enough so it got temporarily "blinded". Just a theory based on what the phone camera saw right before it started beeping.

Did this person do something wrong in this case with autopilot? I know it is normally meant for highway, but what do you think happened here since there are double yellow lines?
Wow indeed... scary. And this is within hours of v7 being rolled out. I'm guessing we'll see a lot more of this over the next few days and weeks. Let's hope they all end as harmlessly as this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow indeed... scary. And this is within hours of v7 being rolled out. I'm guessing we'll see a lot more of this over the next few days and weeks. Let's hope they all end as harmlessly as this one.

This poster posted this over on the TM site forum and also admitted he got warnings to take over steering before this happened but he was to busy filming this clip. Draw your own conclusions from that.

View attachment 98053

"How much range and battery do I have lef... oh, look! Pretty lights!" Seriously...?

Are you criticizing me over this? Really? I didn't design this. I would rather have the battery front and center as well but it's still there. I can't think of the last time on a normal day (not traveling) I panicked because the battery gauge wasn't directly below the center of the screen. Everyone is different though. It you look a few inches over to the left and down it is there. They don't take it completely away.

Last edited:
4) It’s easy for the car to get confused, and it’s not gentle about its decisions. After entering the 520, facing away from the sun at the hour, the car couldn’t decide what to do about a slightly wider than normal lane. It literally shot the steering back and forth as it hunted from edge to edge, like a teenage driver losing control. The system also didn’t want to relinquish control to me, as I thought overriding it with manual pressure on the wheel would cancel it’s erratic behavior, instead it was a wrestling match until I hit the brakes on the freeway, further destabilizing my mass. Needless to say, the other cars on the highway were giving me a wide berth by this point.

Interesting. I drove nearly 200 miles today, majority with auto steer enabled. In a construction zone with the lane I was in wider than normal it worked just fine and tended to just hug the inner line, which was fine.

As for relinquishing control, it always gave back control as soon as I moved the wheel more than maybe 1 degree or so. You can feel the auto steer system engaged, and it takes a minimal amount of force to move the wheel that 1 degree, but it's not a lot. You can see in my video where I took over when auto steer started heading too close to a guard rail that I just took the wheel from it without any real issue. If your car isn't disabling auto steer at this point you should get it checked out, but I have a feeling you just weren't moving the wheel enough.

Also, when you disengage auto steer by moving the wheel TACC remains active.

So while I don't want to just assume you've done something incorrectly, I think in all likelihood this is a user error issue.

Update again: My drive unit has a part that is incompatible with AP. Taking it in tomorrow to get replaced.

TL;DR: If your installation fails, call your local SC. You may need to have your car serviced.

WTF? Did your car work with TACC? What does steering have to do with the drive unit? I could see if somehow it wasn't compatible with cruise control as that makes the drive unit go, but if it's going on TACC, that doesn't make sense. I bet it's a bug.

Yeah, because the forum is filled with those negative people and their posts... :)

Seriously: good for you. I'm sure this will work great for many people. I am well aware that I am in a minority here.

Well, yes it is. And people making wild conjectures when they have never seen what they are conjecturing about. And complaining and whining. And if someone comes out and says they really like a feature, then they are a fanboy.

I am guessing that 98% of people will like the AP or PA and will never say much. I am guessing that 2% of the people will get excited about something that Tesla said might be a problem ("Keep your hands on the wheel", etc.) and will post something like "Tesla Tried to Kill Me!!!" Really??

And why are you a minority? Are you the one that does silly things to see how far you can stretch the envelope, and then get all upset because it does what they said it would? Well, that, I guess, would be in the minority.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you criticizing me over this? Really? I didn't design this. I would rather have the battery front and center as well but it's still there. I can think of the last time on a normal day (not traveling) I panicked because the battery gauge wasn't directly below the center of the screen. Everyone is different though. It you look a few inches over to the left and down it is there. They don't take it completely away.

True. And if I buy another new car, guess what? The dash is different! What am I going to do??! What's that icon that looks like a gas pump? Why is that oil can icon red and flashing. Where is my battery icon? This is a DEAL breaker!

Oh, well. I'll stop. Promise.

WTF? Did your car work with TACC? What does steering have to do with the drive unit? I could see if somehow it wasn't compatible with cruise control as that makes the drive unit go, but if it's going on TACC, that doesn't make sense. I bet it's a bug.

They pulled the logs from my installation and advised that a part inside of my drive unit is incompatible with AP. Since disassembling the drive unit is costly, they advised that replacing the drive unit is going to be their best solution to the problem. This is definitely not a bug. Another poster on this forum (ddimit) also has run into the similar problem.

I am guessing that 2% of the people will get excited about something that Tesla said might be a problem ("Keep your hands on the wheel", etc.) and will post something like "Tesla Tried to Kill Me!!!" Really??

NO kidding.

#1. Bad idea to take his hands so far away from the wheel on a challenging, curvy 2-lane road with oncoming traffic right next to him, which Tesla explicitly stated autopilot was not intended to be used for. If you want to test limits on a road like that, your hands had better be right next to the wheel.

#2. Even worse idea to do it while filming himself with a smartphone.

NO kidding.

#1. Bad idea to take his hands so far away from the wheel on a challenging, curvy 2-lane road with oncoming traffic right next to him, which Tesla explicitly stated autopilot was not intended to be used for. If you want to test limits on a road like that, your hands had better be right next to the wheel.

#2. Even worse idea to do it while filming himself with a smartphone.

I agree with both points. He should've had his hands on the steering wheel and not recording video.

(wk: removed poorly titled video)

This person wasn't paying attention to the fact that autopilot was already having issues with the glare from what looks like might be a wet road, combined with lots and lots of shadows. You can see it out of his lane at the beginning of the video already and he ignores this.

Eventually auto steer disengages due to lack of confidence in it's data (rightfully so) while telling him to take over. The car then follows the curvature of the road along with the partial left steer that autopilot initiated then canceled, and in this case the car pulls to the left due. His hands aren't on the wheel, so nothing to stop the car from going out of control at this point.

User error.

Edit: Personally I think Tesla should disable autopilot in cases like these until the driver takes and passes some kind of autopilot training class.

Just balancing the negativity by the loud few:

I LOVE the new UI, I LOVE the car showing which sensors it sees and where in the lane it is. I LOVE almost everything about the new IC.

I like the the look of the new UI. They definitely moved some UI elements around a they could have left alone but hopefully these little things will get fixed with feedback to Tesla.