Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 Beta Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My install failed with "Update Failed, Will try again later". Anyone else get this?

Even if an update appears to work later, you may want to get yourself to a service center as soon as possible, and have them check things out, or reinstall.

There are reports here of failed updates with other versions, that then complete later, and subsequently result in various problems.

Better safe than sorry.

I retract my earlier "I told you so" and will accept your recirprocal admonishment. At least the time and temp is on the center console.

Well, it's sort of "in-between" for non-AP cars. We've retrained the 6.2 power and speed meter, but lost time/date/temp on the status panel, lost the battery in the middle of the speedo (replaced with a mini toy car), and also have the craptastic new "clock" and energy apps.

attachment.php?attachmentid=98006&d=1444933376.jpg

Well, it's sort of "in-between" for non-AP cars. We've retrained the 6.2 power and speed meter, but lost time/date/temp on the status panel, lost the battery in the middle of the speedo (replaced with a mini toy car), and also have the craptastic new "clock" and energy apps.

What exactly does the "toy car" do? This is looking like a refuse update scenario for me. I'll await the UI overhaul in 7.1

It's tough to make some people happy. The time, date and temp are on the 17" screen so not hard to find. The battery really isn't that hard to find.

Um, it would have made me happy to not change the existing layout? And since they aren't adding any AP capability AND they are creating two different UIs for different cars, presumably they could have done that.

Not so tough.

Um, it would have made me happy to not change the existing layout? And since they aren't adding any AP capability AND they are creating two different UIs for different cars, presumably they could have done that.

Not so tough.

And maybe that's what 7.1 will bring who knows. The point is the information is still there and not too hard to find.

I am jealous of all of us who already have 7.0 . However, mine just began downloading a few minutes ago. I was entering the car to begin a 1400 mile trip when I saw the update was available. I will no longer be jealous when I get to spend the next 1400 miles playing with it. :biggrin:

I am jealous of all of us who already have 7.0 . However, mine just began downloading a few minutes ago. I was entering the car to begin a 1400 mile trip when I saw the update was available. I will no longer be jealous when I get to spend the next 1400 miles playing with it. :biggrin:

Nice.

I'm glad I got it today, my planned trip is nowhere near 1400miles, but I'm probably putting about 400 miles on the car on Saturday, and now doing it with AP :D.

Not so tough.

Maybe in 7.1 they will "flatten" the non-AP speedo/power meter so it matches the rest of the style of the flat interface, and then provide that on AP-capable cars when AP/TACC is not engaged.

attachment.php?attachmentid=98006&d=1444933376.jpg
With all due respect for Tesla's design team (and frankly, that residue of respect is dwindling at amazing speed)... WTF is that toy car in the center?
And before an overly excited moderator moves me to snippiness... WTF stands for the World Taekwondo Fedaration which I'm a member in good standing of...

I think I found a job posting from Tesla... It reads "Looking for people working in our UI design team. No design experience (or understanding of data visualization) necessary. On the job training provided..."

- - - Updated - - -

It's tough to make some people happy. The time, date and temp are on the 17" screen so not hard to find. The battery really isn't that hard to find.
In Firmware 7.2 Tesla will move the accelerator to the left pedal, the break to the right pedal, the turn signal to the right steering wheel stock and the drive mode (P-N-R-D) to the center screen.
It's all still there. And it's really not that hard to find.

But what was the purpose of swapping positions of the battery meter and odometer? It makes more sense to have the battery meter larger and in the center. That's more important information than the total miles driven since day 1.

Turn signal? I have an indicator for that in 6.2 as well as audible feedback. Brake lights? Not sure why I need to see that. If regen > 30 kW or I'm actually, well, braking, then they should be on.

The brake lights is one thing some people have been asking for the last few years. Some are worried the brake lights are turning on when they don't want them to or not turning on and risk getting rear ended. Don't know if the toy car in be center is best place for all this but it addresses this one request.

The brake lights is one thing some people have been asking for the last few years. Some are worried the brake lights are turning on when they don't want them to or not turning on and risk getting rear ended. Don't know if the toy car in be center is best place for all this but it addresses this one request.

I don't recall this as being a common complaint. For those that wanted it, what was wrong with opening the About or Charging screens and watching brake light feedback?

Also, I'm pretty sure these same folks who raised the issue would rather see the battery icon rather than the car icon.

So let me get this straight. Arguably one of the most important pieces of information (how much range do I have) has been moved away from the most central spot to make room for something that some people may have wanted to see for rather questionable reasons (because your driving pattern should be determined by what is a safe and appropriate speed at the moment, not by "did my break lights turn on").

With respect to Tesla's Human Interaction Design department... "beam me up, Scotty, there's no intelligent life on this planet".
Actually, I'm beginning to doubt that they HAVE a HID department. Because the summer intern who did all this most likely went back to school by now (and changed their major to something they are better in like art history or creative writing).