Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like to know when my brake lights go on -- it's a very good indication of how effectively I'm using regen and what people behind me are seeing when I use regen at various levels. For me it's an important safety indicator.
Always been able to do that if you have the charging page of controls displayed.
Having rear view camera displayed if equipped gives better indication.
Noted always come on >30kw on high regen. Not on low. Unless maybe downhill.
Now you know why people get pissed when they get passed on the highway because it is so easy to accelerate and then pull back in front of the passed vehicle. Immediately they get the brake lights if on high regen.

Even easier, put the high beam / low beam indicator symbol into the middle of the headlight cloud.
I like that idea since I can't see the new icons now and I'm not changing seating position after two years. I got flashed first night untill I figured out high beams were on because they are now hidden for me.
Others would not like ruining the artwork display.

Always been able to do that if you have the charging page of controls displayed.
Having rear view camera displayed if equipped gives better indication.
Noted always come on >30kw on high regen. Not on low. Unless maybe downhill.
Now you know why people hate Teslas when they pass on the highway because it is so easy to accelerate and then pull back in front of the passed vehicle. Immediately they get the brake lights if on high regen.

Exactly my experience. Would love to know why others are reporting inconsistencies.

Exactly my experience. Would love to know why others are reporting inconsistencies.
Probably because, as noted previously, it's not as simple as "brake lights come on at 30kW." You can read through the other threads on the issue (there's at least two big ones), but there's no set threshold for turning on the brake lights. Notably, on High you can trigger the brake lights in slow-moving traffic by abruptly pulling your foot off the accelerator while getting nowhere near 30kW. You can also trigger them in Low regen if you're travelling up a strong incline and pull your foot from the accelerator.

30kW is a good general guideline, especially for flat highway travel, but that goes out the window in town and during elevation changes.

In that note I'd also like the car to remind me when to rotate the tires based on my own selected interval. It's not rocket science, Elon!!

AFTER they implement in-App notification that the car needs to be washed. The car's had rain sensors for years -- they just need to tweak the algorithm. C'mon, Elon -- even the small Mars rovers warn NASA when there's too much dust on the solar arrays! It's not rocket sci... oh, wait.

/dealbreaker!

Probably because, as noted previously, it's not as simple as "brake lights come on at 30kW." You can read through the other threads on the issue (there's at least two big ones), but there's no set threshold for turning on the brake lights. Notably, on High you can trigger the brake lights in slow-moving traffic by abruptly pulling your foot off the accelerator while getting nowhere near 30kW. You can also trigger them in Low regen if you're travelling up a strong incline and pull your foot from the accelerator.

Wow, learn something new every day. I still maintain that the toy car, in it's current location, is largely irrelevant. Haven't thought about it for 3 years, and it's never been a problem. On the other hand, I think about range and SOC very frequently (just the way I'm wired) and I find it frustrating that this info is obscured in a small corner. And the odo, seriously? What the heck is that doing displayed so prominently?

only really care because you should not be flashing your brake lights on the highway unless you're actually stopping. If they're coming on often, you're actually putting yourself in danger because those behind you will start ignoring them. It's nice to see how much you can adjust your position in the seat/on the pedal without kicking on the lights.

it never "flashes" the brakes lights unless you have a really jerky driving style. This is one of those things that is helpful for new owners for the first two days, after that it's just wasted space.

Wow, learn something new every day. I still maintain that the toy car, in it's current location, is largely irrelevant. Haven't thought about it for 3 years, and it's never been a problem. On the other hand, I think about range and SOC very frequently (just the way I'm wired) and I find it frustrating that this info is obscured in a small corner. And the odo, seriously? What the heck is that doing displayed so prominently?

The first (partially) electric car I ever rode in was a first generation Prius. The display graphically showing power flow was prominent and very interesting. But totally unnecessary! It's not like you had range issues to deal with. Every electric car (hybrid or not) I've seen since then has "featured" overload of charging/energy flow information. In a BEV (particularly a 90 mile one, like most models on the market), the range, SOC, regen, etc. information is critical. In my eGolf, I find myself constantly pushing the boundary.

So, of course, the Model S launched with all of the requisite energy info right at hand. But the aspiration was to make it worry-free. Supercharger network, trip planning software, range warnings, etc. have all been put in place to TRY to address range anxiety so that the BEV newbie just doesn't need to pay attention to this stuff.

Personally, I believe the design choices made in 7.0 continue down this path: further reduce the BEV-ness of the vehicle. Marketing people thinking: "Put the energy stuff in there, but don't have it front-and-center, because range just isn't an issue with this car. Instead, feature all of the cool AP features."

While I agree with this trend, and I'm thankful for the Supercharger network and all of the other advancements that allow me to happily drive this car all over the place, I think this one little tiny bit of 7.1 (the swap of range bar and ODO) went over the line, and agree it should swap back. But I DO understand (or think I can mind-read Tesla) why they did it, and I agree with the objective of making range a non-issue and therefore a background piece of info.

The first (partially) electric car I ever rode in was a first generation Prius. The display graphically showing power flow was prominent and very interesting. But totally unnecessary!

100% disagree. It's extremely helpful to get the most fuel economy out of the car. Removing that information was a big reason why I never purchased a G3 Prius.

My belief is that that the regen curve is designed to maintain a maximum constant deceleration g force (something like ..2-.3 g's ), and that the the brake lights are tuned to something less that that... so there's not a direct correlation between regen power and brake lights trigger, as it depends on initial speed, if you are heading up hill vs down, etc...

For the same reasons I, like Cyclone, don't always see the brakes stay on down to 0.

I also believe there's some hysteresis in the system, (i.e. if they trigger at .1 g's, the don't turn back off until .08 g's... that way they aren't constantly flickering if you are right on the edge).

So, of course, the Model S launched with all of the requisite energy info right at hand. But the aspiration was to make it worry-free. Supercharger network, trip planning software, range warnings, etc. have all been put in place to TRY to address range anxiety so that the BEV newbie just doesn't need to pay attention to this stuff.

Personally, I believe the design choices made in 7.0 continue down this path: further reduce the BEV-ness of the vehicle. Marketing people thinking: "Put the energy stuff in there, but don't have it front-and-center, because range just isn't an issue with this car. Instead, feature all of the cool AP features."

While I agree with this trend, and I'm thankful for the Supercharger network and all of the other advancements that allow me to happily drive this car all over the place, I think this one little tiny bit of 7.1 (the swap of range bar and ODO) went over the line, and agree it should swap back. But I DO understand (or think I can mind-read Tesla) why they did it, and I agree with the objective of making range a non-issue and therefore a background piece of info.

While I recognize your point and you may indeed be correct, I would be concerned if this was the direction they chose. People like Teslas because they're electric and they're so very different than conventional alternatives. It's the reason they drive, respond, and perform so well. In that same spirit, Tesla should not try to make their cars seem more like an ICE. They ought to embrace the technology the same way their owner base has and continues to do so. I would be worried if Tesla were instructing their software devs to "dumb it down" and make it more like an ICE.

Note that I'm not saying this is what they are doing. I am merely offering my perspective on tomas's post.

I'm thinking the new SOC graph is analogous to the gas gauge in an ICE. And that certainly isn't planted in the center of the ODO screen. When I started driving my S back in 2012 range was all important. With the SC rollout, not so much anymore, IMHO.

I agree with this general idea - that they might be trying to make the UI look more like a "regular car". But IMO they've taken it too far. Some have said that range anxiety is irrelevant with a tesla, but that is definitely not true in areas where SC are less dense, or for certain trips that otherwise push the boundary of the range of the car.

This is another example of California-centric thinking that causes Tesla to make some poor decisions.

To be fair, you're guessing on napabill's guess. It's possible it was moved for reasons completely unrelated to "the end of range anxiety." And I don't know if there's a consensus around their "poor decisions", though I could be mistaken. Falcon wings? :wink:

Your point is well taken, however - there are places around the world with a lot less Supercharger coverage than California. Still, your superchargers get you some Corsicana baked delights!

While I recognize your point and you may indeed be correct, I would be concerned if this was the direction they chose. People like Teslas because they're electric and they're so very different than conventional alternatives. It's the reason they drive, respond, and perform so well. In that same spirit, Tesla should not try to make their cars seem more like an ICE. They ought to embrace the technology the same way their owner base has and continues to do so. I would be worried if Tesla were instructing their software devs to "dumb it down" and make it more like an ICE.

Note that I'm not saying this is what they are doing. I am merely offering my perspective on tomas's post.

It's hardly dumbing it down to put first-ever AP "what's happening to the car" display in the center. Just a choice that maybe you and I don't agree with. I was not trying to judge the choice (plenty of people on this forum to do that) but to try to understand why they might have made it. Unlike many on this forum, I do NOT start with the assumption that Tesla are idiots, I start with the assumption that they've built two amazing cars (soon 3) and that they DO have a target they are aiming at.