Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Keeping your "S85 Classic", a classic with the UI design. Keepin' it pure. ;)

Yeah. After lunch for the Greenville Supercharge Grand Opening, I drove a P85 with v7.0 for a bit. I instantly noticed that my transition lenses tinted while swapping cars and I couldn't read the numbers on the analog section of the odometer. That pretty much made the decision for me right then and there. I will admit, v7 is smoother in bumper-to-bumper traffic than v6.2.

My buddy's P85 on 19" Pirelli Nero tires was much smoother moving back and forth between 0-5 mph than my S85 on 19" Goodyear Eagles was. We both mentioned it to each other when we switched back to our own cars. It has been noted that v7.0 has smoother near 0 performance.

Wow. I notice absolutely no difference between 6 and 7 (or over any other update, for that matter) wrt driving dynamics. I regularly inch my car into my garage (I tap a big piece of propped up cardboard to let me know I'm in) and it has always been silky smooth at low speeds. Are you sure it's not a P vs. S thing or has something to do with the tires? If anything, with Torque Sleep now on RWD cars, I would have thought it would be worse, but as I say, I can not discern any difference at all.

Wow. I notice absolutely no difference between 6 and 7 (or over any other update, for that matter) wrt driving dynamics. I regularly inch my car into my garage (I tap a big piece of propped up cardboard to let me know I'm in) and it has always been silky smooth at low speeds. Are you sure it's not a P vs. S thing or has something to do with the tires? If anything, with Torque Sleep now on RWD cars, I would have thought it would be worse, but as I say, I can not discern any difference at all.

There are reports in this thread and others that the mapping of the throttle near zero is different and its creates an environment of less jerkiness when speeding up and slowing down repeatedly near 0. In my car, even the slight thumps to keep up with bumper-to-bumper traffic cause "thumps" and push you in the seat. My friend's P85 doesn't do this. The tires and model differences could have played a significant role, but the P85 owner and another area owner noted the same experience when they updated their cars.

As for your garage scenario, I do not experience jerkiness when I inch in my garage, but I do in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Thanks

As a new non-AP owner, I have gone back and read this thread and sifted a lot of tips out of it, both before and after the wonderful day of final delivery of my MS.

Since all of you classic MS drivers have been at this for a long time, you know all the ins and outs of the interface and can be a great resource for new owners. The manual is a starting point, but I'm coming back to TMC daily to find answers for questions about little quirks, and I usually can find something.

I just want to thank everyone for the help the community gives during the stressful times during the decision making process of ordering, while waiting for news about manufacture and delivery, and while learning about our wonderful cars. No one else in our lives understands how life changing owning a Tesla can be.

Thanks again!

Unfortunately, when it's 20 degrees out the car then has to spend energy heating that outside air to the desired cabin temp... I suspect that it may be more energy efficient to run the compressor a bit instead...

I'm not sure about the Model S, but many of my past cars simply wouldn't run the compressor at all if the temps were approaching freezing, let alone 20 degrees. I thought it had something to do with damaging the compressor at those low temperatures (but I could be mistaken about that).

In any event, since the Model S does not employ a reverse cycle (heat pump) system, I'm not sure how running the compressor at 20 degrees would be better than running the heater.

Well, at least from 6.2 / 2.5.71 to 7.0, Tesla was able to stack updates over the air. My car had "Software Update Available" over-the-air since the first few hours of 7.0 / 2.7.56 out in the wild. I finally hit update and 45 minutes later, my car is on 2.9.12. So they clearly can get certain versions prepared OTA even when an owner stays back for a while.

Last edited:
Well, at least from 6.2 / 2.5.71 to 7.0, Tesla was able to stack updates over the air. My car had "Software Update Available" over-the-air since the first few hours of 7.0 / 2.7.56 out in the wild. I finally hit update and 45 minutes later, my car is on 2.9.12. So they clearly can get certain versions prepared OTA even when an owner stays back for a while.
Just curious, what made you finally cave in?

Just curious, what made you finally cave in?

My intention was never to not upgrade, but to hold out for a few key components. With the HVAC improvements in 2.9.12, I thought I'd finally go. I haven't driven yet, but I do hope the contrast when I wear my sunglasses is improved. I saw one report of the contrast on the IC being improved, but that was on an AP car.

The other part of the decision was that lately I'm doing lots of heavy traffic trips and I look forward to the extra smoothness of 7.0. The few times I've driven 7.0 cars, I've noticed it being less neck snapping and earlier this week I pinched a nerve in my neck and the comfort aspect weighed on my decision.

The other part of the decision was that lately I'm doing lots of heavy traffic trips and I look forward to the extra smoothness of 7.0. The few times I've driven 7.0 cars, I've noticed it being less neck snapping and earlier this week I pinched a nerve in my neck and the comfort aspect weighed on my decision.

Is this a P or D thing? There has been absolutely no change (ever) with these characteristics on my S85.

My classic P85+ is still on firmware version 2.7.56, the first version of 7.0, yet the version tracker indicates that other classic cars have received updates up to 2.9.12. Are there other classics still operating on the original v7.0?, or should I ping the SC to check if my car has "fallen in the cracks"?

You can keep tabs on the updates with the Firmware tracker here: Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App

There have been two other P85+s to get the latest firmware.

Thanks, I have been checking the tracker, and after your reply, figured out which table to inspect. I see now that there are 2 x P85+ with 2.9.12, but only one of those is "classic". There has been an intermediate version 2.7.77 too for P85+ classic which I have not received either.

My classic P85+ is still on firmware version 2.7.56, the first version of 7.0, yet the version tracker indicates that other classic cars have received updates up to 2.9.12. Are there other classics still operating on the original v7.0?, or should I ping the SC to check if my car has "fallen in the cracks"?

I am still running on the original version and have received no update notices. I do not have a plus, but do have a Classic P85. I guess that means there are at least two of us "in the cracks."

Is this a P or D thing? There has been absolutely no change (ever) with these characteristics on my S85.

My S is smoother in bumper to bumper traffic. My passengers commented on it yesterday while in traffic to dinner. Perhaps my foot is not as gentle as yours and tweaking near zero is smoothing it out for me. We used to often get our heads fall into the headrest on 6.2.