Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess I'll chime in on the UI also.

The UI is infinitely more responsive on both the IC and the 17" compared to yesterday on 6.2. It's night and day. Everything is faster now and more usable. I'm loving that.

As for everything else, if they add some ticks to the power meter so that it's useful again, and put the date and time back on the IC, then I'll be 100% satisfied with the UI. Currently ~98% satisfied with the UI.

The new "since start" trip meter is great, too.

Oh, and I just got an email from Tesla telling me that Your Autopilot has Arrived. lol.

I drove to work this morning without autopilot, and while I was at work the car updated to version 7.0, and I drove the approximately 25 highway miles home using auto pilot. Here are my initial impressions:

When the lane markings are good, the system works amazingly well. Kept me centered in the lane the entire time, and kept a good distance behind the car in front of me. However, A good portion of my drive is on the 91 freeway from Riverside into orange county, and the autopilot system didn't fare so well. The 91 is probably one of the worst kept up freeways I've been on - The lane markings are extremely difficult to read, tons of potholes, and it's not helped when you're driving into the sun with lots of glare. I was in the carpool lane and the car kept way too close to the right side, and I had to take over control multiple times. I did notice that the times that I took over, I wasn't able to reengage auto steering for a little bit, likely because the car was already having a hard time reading the lane markings (makes sense why I felt like I needed to assume control). The car also has a hard time dealing with offramps when you are in the right-hand lane - it got really confused and sounded an alarm asking me to take over control.

Despite the shortcomings, which I don't feel like are really teslas fault, I absolutely love the autopilot system. It really makes me feel like I'm living in the future. The fact that The system only gets better from here on out is amazing.

Just wish they'd do something about the craptastic 91 freeway...

Minor gripe here - you don't get tire pressures if you have coil suspension - according to Tesla tech support just now. Big Bummer! My Volt doesn't have air suspension and it gives individual tire pressures. Seems a petty way to get people to buy air suspension if that's the idea.

I have coil suspension and the display was giving me a tire pressure reading for all four tires.

Minor gripe here - you don't get tire pressures if you have coil suspension - according to Tesla tech support just now. Big Bummer! My Volt doesn't have air suspension and it gives individual tire pressures. Seems a petty way to get people to buy air suspension if that's the idea.

I have coil suspension and I get individual tire pressure readings in 7.0. Not sure what the tesla tech is smoking.

I'm sure this will be buried eventually among tons of other videos and all... but figured I'd make one anyway. :p

Tesla Autopilot Auto Steer Firmware v7 (2.7.56) - YouTube

Auto steer only tried to kill us once, but I'll forgive it. :)

Great vid. And mirrors my experience today (99% great, one kill attempt on local road in poor condition)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure this will be buried eventually among tons of other videos and all... but figured I'd make one anyway. :p

Tesla Autopilot Auto Steer Firmware v7 (2.7.56) - YouTube

Auto steer only tried to kill us once, but I'll forgive it. :)

Great vid. And mirrors my experience today (99% great, one kill attempt on local road in poor condition)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I got 7.0 this afternoon and my worst fears were realized. No new functionality for my "classic" and a bunch of stuff I used to rely on GONE. The trip app no longer shows my Trip A and Trip B values, the Climate Icon no longer shows the system status (I mainly over-ride from Auto and liked to see that) as well as a HUGE step back on the UI. It looks AWFUL. Tesla really needs to fix this ASAP.

What does coil suspension have to do with TPMS? That doesn't make sense.

I guess I'll chime in on the UI also.

The UI is infinitely more responsive on both the IC and the 17" compared to yesterday on 6.2. It's night and day. Everything is faster now and more usable. I'm loving that.

As for everything else, if they add some ticks to the power meter so that it's useful again, and put the date and time back on the IC, then I'll be 100% satisfied with the UI. Currently ~98% satisfied with the UI.

The new "since start" trip meter is great, too.

Oh, and I just got an email from Tesla telling me that Your Autopilot has Arrived. lol.

I bet that flattening the UI helped reduce CPU/Graphics overhead which would lead to faster response. Considering the age of the Nvidia chipsets I would not be surprised if they had to flatten the UI to make V7.0/AP work and not be dog slow.

I just finished a 300-ish mile drive. Autosteer worked without a nag for several very long stretches. From just north of Richmond to the exit for the Woodbridge supercharger (about 90 minutes of 70mph cruising) I did not get one "grab the wheel" nag! I'm extremely pleased with the performance on the interstate. Going up the BWI parkway, there was a stretch where it asked me to grab the wheel probably 10 times in as many miles. It doesn't especially care for stretches where the painted line making the edge of the highway is worn or missing. When it only has one line the steering is much more erratic and much more likely to ask you to hold the wheel.

Its fun to watch the indicator and see when it loses track of the lane edges. Most of the time, it still drives pretty well in that scenario. I'd be hesitant to trust it on surface streets, however. At least twice on 45mph divided highways in suburban areas it took a notion to veer pretty far of course -- once with a panic "you take this" and once without. TACC is way, way better about detecting cars half-in and half-out of your lane. It no longer seems like it is thinking about ramming them.

The little ghost car image of the car in front of you turns red for collision alert. It looks cool. Sometimes the car turns blue, but I'm not sure why.

The auto-brake hold thing is great. Being able to see when the brake lights turn on due to regen is brilliant. The touchscreen is far more responsive. I did have a few areas where the map failed to load tiles and/or the audio froze seemingly due to some kind of data congestion, even though cell connectivity was good. Maybe I need to get LTE!

I find that performance is best in the center lane of a three lane highway, it seems to see the dotted line better.

I bet that flattening the UI helped reduce CPU/Graphics overhead which would lead to faster response. Considering the age of the Nvidia chipsets I would not be surprised if they had to flatten the UI to make V7.0/AP work and not be dog slow.

The Nvidia processors have nothing to do with AP, all the AP stuff runs on the MobilEye processor located in the camera housing. You can easily prove this by rebooting the screens while AP is running and it keeps right on going.

I've been saying this for months but everyone seems quick to dismiss it despite the facts. :) kudos

Well, I got 7.0 this afternoon and my worst fears were realized. No new functionality for my "classic" and a bunch of stuff I used to rely on GONE. The trip app no longer shows my Trip A and Trip B values, the Climate Icon no longer shows the system status (I mainly over-ride from Auto and liked to see that) as well as a HUGE step back on the UI. It looks AWFUL. Tesla really needs to fix this ASAP.
These things are #754 and #1,543 on Tesla's priority list

Just used auto pilot in Chicago and was so amazed, I thought I would try to add a couple of observations for everyone that I have not seen in the thread (but admit I didn't read all 48 pages!) and will leave out what I have already seen elsewhere:

First, this may seem pretty obvious to some folks but I had trouble turning on auto pilot. I didn't do it while at home and in park and couldn't figure out why my button was grey/blue instead of blue. Thanks to the tesla service department on grand avenue who told me the car needs to be in park to flip the switch.

Once that was done I had the good fortune of having to go on Lake Shore Drive (LSD) with my kids tonight. We were all amazed.

1. While it struggles a bit where lane markings are very poor on LSD, it did complete bends in the road even without lane markings. My hands were on the steering wheel because I was amazed that it was proceeding without showing any blue lines and it was clear why because road is so poorly marked at points. I think it was using either car in front but at some points it seemed to just know from nav maybe or algorithms were extopolating? No idea but it completed bends in road where by all accounts I didn't think it would.

2. While I had a couple of trouble spots like others, what I didn't see mentioned is that you can really tell when the auto pilot is going to potentially have issues based on the incredibly interactive information it provides on the display right in front of you. It tells you if it is tracking 1 line, 2 lines, car in front, sensing curbs and other cars and any combinations. So you can really tell how much data it is working with to keep you on the road.

3. When I saw the car in the middle of the display in pictures in the blog, I hated it and thought I would miss the analog mph (I do a bit - if you are reading tesla give it back on the side) but now that I see it in action, it is brilliant. Tells you all about car and it's immediate surroundings and is perpetually updating.

4. Could not tell how much it is using sensors vs camera. Sensors show a lot of info but could not tell if car was adjusting lane position based on info or not. LSD gets narrow at points and I got uncomfortably close to other cars so I took over and it didn't seem to adjust. At other times it seemed to move a bit off center to stay further from curb if in far left or right lanes. Not sure. Anyone else have any info on that?

5. I was impressed with how the car reacted to people swerving into or out of a lane. I was a bit concerned that people behind me would not be ready for what car did when someone darted in front of me. For example, car will break in that situation where I may have accelerated out of lane into another lane if I was concerned about getting hit from behind in stop and go situations. Still, the car really saw what was happening and handled it promptly and effectively.

All in all this feels like it could be a monumental day in the history of the automobile if this continues to improve as advertised! Thanks Tesla!