Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone's missing the really big news... The 007 Easter Egg still works!
(Ok, maybe we Classic/non-AP folks have to get our joy out of this where we can)
2015-10-15 21.05.34.jpg

I'm going to note that I will NOT be updating the firmware on the P85D beyond today's v7 (2.7.56) immediately when I see new updates available. I'm definitely going to wait until others have installed it and no reports of any negative effects on autopilot functionality. Like, if Tesla makes it a software *requirement* that hands be on the wheel due to one reason or another... I will not be updating.

Good lord this thread is growing fast...
Someone with AP...
1)Can you set any speed you wish with AP active or does it force you to follow the speed limit?
2)If you can set any speed (let's say you set for 85 in a 70) and the speed limit drops, does it keep you at 15 over the limit, or does it drop you to the speed limit, or does it keep you at 85MPH as you had set?
3)Some of the videos show drivers being very careful to not use lane change when there were cars approaching, but my understanding is that you can put the turn signal on at any time and the car will not attempt to change lanes until it is safe. Has anyone tested that out?
4)Some has to have tried to rig something to simulate having a hand on the wheel when there actually isn't...perhaps you can anonymously post your "solutions"/results?

I know some have been answered, though I've spend about 3 hours playing on freeways today, and whilst I don't have a death wish, I did want to ensure this is safe in controlled conditions (ie. hands on/ready) to determine confidence I should have.
1) Any speed limit you like < 90mph. If the ultrasonic sensors can't function (ie. when you get the notification that "blind spot warning is disabled")
2) As mentioned, does not change TACC speed when speed limit changes. Couple of other notes:
a) does not slow down for corners, ie. you can be approaching a sharp bend that really should be taken at 40mph (eg. exit ramp ;-)) and try taking it at >60 if you don't decrease manually or disable.
b) appears a lot more "skittish" at higher speeds, eg. > 70mph. Maybe there is less consideration of speed during maneuvers?
3) I tried changing lanes with car/truck next to me, just passed me (no warning in blind spot display though still a stupid thing to do), just passing them (and them still in rear blind spot), at same speed, next to me, and every other combination I could consider without scaring the other driver too much - ok, the just passing caused the other driver to look a little concerned, though no sharp avoidance from them as the Tesla didn't move over... I did not (purposely) try to cut anyone off by moving in front of them with large distance and accelerating beyond the 16 "bubble".
netnet: the car worked exactly as I had hoped. notably:
a) Car just passed me whilst car in front was slowing me below TACC speed: my car accelerated slightly only *after* there was gap to move into on the left, then moved across and accelerated some more (to TACC-set speed). I was most impressed
b) Car next to me at same speed: my car didn't accelerate, didn't brake, just sat there until the person matching my speed decided that they had been impolite long enough and could move on ;)
c) Passing car, and moving to it's lane. Tesla stayed in my lane with indicator on until car I was passing was out of blind spot plus a reasonable distance. Did not try and determine if this reasonable distance changed based on TACC distance.
4) As I mentioned before: people doing this deserve the Darwin Award imo. My only wish is they do not injure others when achieving it.

Hope this helps, Mike

Autopilot Tip: Look at the blue. The blue tells you whether it's primarily locking onto the car in front of you for guidance, the left lane boundary, the right, or both. You can also see the blue lane "arcs" pulse up and down as it indicates how far the AP can see. The farther it can see, the higher the confidence of AP to make the right moves by the millisecond. The lower the blue arcs, the lower the confidence, and at some point when the arcs are so short that the car can't see very far in front of you, it asks you to hold the steering wheel.

Separately, for a Day 1 release, my commute was almost flawless compared to some of the other stories online and I think I know why. If it is indeed true that crowd-sourced data is constantly improving the AP, it stands to reason that well traveled roads by Teslas are much more information-rich and will have AP perform better.

I live in the SF Bay Area, half way between San Francisco and Silicon Valley. There are more Teslas here than Camrys, so I would imagine the point cloud/data availability is quite dense (see the Press Release slide deck). It even worked very well in the city streets of SF, whether it be undivided roads, or super busy one-way thoroughfares like Harrison or Bryant Streets. It was amazingly good for such a chaotic environment with pedestrians, bikers, buses, and other things. I suspect Tesla has been using our cars in pre-7.0 release to gather this data for a long, long time now and there is just so much data in the Bay Area for the point cloud.

- K

The little ghost car image of the car in front of you turns red for collision alert. It looks cool. Sometimes the car turns blue, but I'm not sure why.

The auto-brake hold thing is great. Being able to see when the brake lights turn on due to regen is brilliant. The touchscreen is far more responsive. I did have a few areas where the map failed to load tiles and/or the audio froze seemingly due to some kind of data congestion, even though cell connectivity was good. Maybe I need to get LTE!.

I thought blue was that it was "following the car

The brake hold is great, though caught my off caught when I had expected the car to roll.

The brake lights on the central display is great. It even shows the high level LED center brake light as well as the tail lights. Cool, though is a little distracting as it grabs attention.

Get the LTE upgrade. Got that a few weeks ago and makes map tile loading snappier as well as waze-tesla. Also slacker seems a lot more responsive moving between tracks manually :)

I took this thing out for a few hours tonight and was gunna post a reaction, but everything has been said. I DO have to say one thing though after reading these comments.

And just for the record, I'm normal 30 year old guy who has the highest kWh/mi average that I've heard of (pretty aggressive driving). No kids - so this isn't the "parent" in me coming out.

That said - It's concerning to hear people say the autopilot can at times make us feel "uneasy" because of the sometimes unreliability of it on some roads and that we'll "hopefully get used to it".

Ugh - I hope nobody EVER gets used to driving closer to the left edge of the lane than "your liking" (it's to nobody's liking). I hope nobody gets used to hanging out with their hands down and their feet away from the brakes (at least with this version), and I hope nobody gets used to relying on sensors to tell us when we need to grab the wheel. As some of us have likely experienced, the combined time of the car noticing a problem - notifying you - and then your reaction.. Sorry - in some cases down the road that time is going to be too long to keep us safe (I swear I'm not a parent). The notice from tesla to keep your hands on the wheel... I'm starting to take that seriously.

I hope we (the tesla community) cuts out the middle man and don't get used to the car telling us to take control. Even if this system is reliable 99.9999% of the time (it's not), when you've got 100,000 cars on the road - there are going to be issues.

So... Just wanted to put that out there. I think autopilot is amazing on the highway and it's fun to push it to its limits, but really... Given the number of small incidents I've read here in just a day, it's probable there are larger incidents to come - and I hope for everybody's sake nothing like that happens.

The fact that the system would run faster with less texturing of the UI... and that today I have the proof to back it up. v7 is infinitely more responsive than 6.2.

I don't know about the causation path, but I can definitely vouch for way smoother graphics than before. The power arc is silky smooth-- like 60fps+ so you can take that mid-air, no-lag HS in an FPS compared to the 250ms+ ping lead-the-target and pray shot at 30fps before. :)

- K

Autopilot Tip: Look at the blue. The blue tells you whether it's primarily locking onto the car in front of you for guidance, the left lane boundary, the right, or both. You can also see the blue lane "arcs" pulse up and down as it indicates how far the AP can see. The farther it can see, the higher the confidence of AP to make the right moves by the millisecond. The lower the blue arcs, the lower the confidence, and at some point when the arcs are so short that the car can't see very far in front of you, it asks you to hold the steering wheel.

The blue arcs absolutely indicate confidence in the lane prediction, but sometimes it ran with only one side blue or even for bursts with no blue lines and didn't prompt me to grab the wheel. Other times it asked me to grab the wheel when it was showing blue on both sides.

One thing I noticed was that when the lane was extra wide because of a merge or due to construction weirdness, it really didn't like it. As an aside, you can see those same confidence marks without autosteer engaged. The initial lane detection is a kind of black line and when it gets more confident it adds a grey line beside the black one. During autosteer, the grey line turns blue.

Talked to Tesla and you can find the odometer by using the right wheel and display the trip info. That is a temporary fix. Requested that the odometer be displayed at all times on main driving screen.

- - - Updated - - -

Not when the car is off.

I was doing maintenance stuff around the house today so I didn't have occasion to drive. Read about the update in the NY Times Tech email. They seemed rather taken with the upgrade but stated that the download cost $2500! Anyone know where that came from? I'm running the upgrade now on my non-AP S85. I also got an email from Tesla announcing the upgrade and offering to provide me with info on trading my Model S in for an AP equipped model. I'll wait.

Last edited:
The speed limit sign in the dash graphics should be on the standard side of the road: RIGHT for left handed steering wheel vehicles, and LEFT for right handed steering wheel vehicles (UK, and a few others). It's faster to understand that way. The graphic designers at Tesla must come from countries that are backwards because to them it makes sense to put it on the left, but to everyone in US the right side is the correct side for speed limit signs. There are about 1% of speed limit signs in USA that are inside the asphalt below, on the left, or up above, but the rest of the time it is on the right. That's what clicks in our brains the fastest.