Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This all breaks down to: "please, fans of the new UI, don't tell others how they should feel about the new UI and don't tell us that the things that we want to use aren't useful... they are useful to us"
I have no intention of telling anyone that they shouldn't like the new UI. Or that the reasons that they like the new UI are invalid. I just respectfully ask them to do the same to us who have concerns about the new UI.
I like the new UI. You have issues with it. That's okay.
The new UI isn't going away, though of course Tesla will modify it over time. But I am pretty sure the old UI won't be coming back.

I tried to, "Login/Signup" I don't have a PIN, I clicked on, "Other/Specify" from the forum handle dropdown. Specified my desired handle, clicked to have a PIN PM'ed to me, and NOTHING. So how does one sign up?

You have to use the same handle that you use on TMC. Put xrayangiodoc in the "Forum Handle" field and your chosen PIN and click "Login or Signup" button and you'll be registered.

"Autosteer does not activate over 90MPH."

Ok, so many of my longest drives of 3 hours or more would force me to leave earlier and make decisions about how tired I want to be with assisted automation vs. less tired but more worn out paying more attention.

I think the option is nice, though: leave earlier, but pay slightly less attention, and do less work, is a new option that wasn't available before. Still, 89MPH ain't too shabby, so on some long routes that can work out to less than 15 minutes difference, so that's really pretty darn good.

Ok, I guess this is more of a very minor thing.

Correlation is not causation.

Just because you perceive it as more responsive isn't evidence that the static shadows and textures on the previous UI had any impact on CPU cycles.

Been doing this stuff for a while now, so, I definitely know what I'm talking about here when it comes to slimming down on CPU/GPU usage of embedded systems. If people want to believe that procedurally filling a display with a solid color every frame is just as heavy of a load as fetching and filling with a detailed texture every frame... well, I guess that's their prerogative. Some people also think climate change isn't happening. ;)

I have a pre-AP 85S. However with the update autopilot works on my car! Only on straightaways though. Any kind of curve and it just keeps going straight for some reason unless I turn the wheel...
I don't understand that. When was your car built? You say it is "pre-AP". So it was built before late Sep 2014?
If it does not have the Autopilot sensor hardware it won't have Autopilot capabilities.

Been doing this stuff for a while now, so, I definitely know what I'm talking about here when it comes to slimming down on CPU/GPU usage of embedded systems. If you want to believe that procedurally filling a display with a solid color every frame is just as heavy of a load as fetching and filling with a detailed texture every frame... well, I guess that's your prerogative. Some people also think climate change isn't happening. ;)

So you're saying they're refreshing every pixel on every frame refresh, and re-drawing every feature of every UI element, and there are zero optimizations to avoid that for 90% of the screen that never changes?

So you're saying they're refreshing every pixel on every frame refresh, and re-drawing every feature of every UI element, and there are zero optimizations to avoid that for 90% of the screen that never changes?

Believe it or not, simply redrawing things is almost always faster than trying to figure out what to redraw then try to redraw portions. For many reasons. Unless the UI elements are completely independent and parts don't update at all, almost always is it simpler to just call a screen redraw function rather than cherry pick and have to make sure you draw the correct pixels.

To keep things sync'd they'll either have to write the screen buffer in sync with the screen draw (very unlikely, probably impossible for this hardware) or double buffer (or better). That means anything that changes part of the screen and not a full refresh would need to do so correctly and keep track of what pixels to clear and overwrite in both screen buffers, further complicating potential optimizations. Granted, there can be sections of things that are updated every frame vs the whole screen, but depending on the architecture this could potentially be slower as well. (Don't know for this particular hardware)

And even if they did do some kind of optimization, that still doesn't change the fact that drawing nothingness is cheaper than drawing a texture.

Suffice it to say, I guarantee they can now completely redraw the screen with the current UI faster than any potentially optimized draw code they had in place in 6.2.

It also wouldn't surprise me if just about everything about this new UI were procedurally generated vs textures, besides icons and fonts and such. It's simple enough for it.

Believe it or not, simply redrawing things is almost always faster than trying to figure out what to redraw then try to redraw portions. For many reasons. Unless the UI elements are completely independent and parts don't update at all, almost always is it simpler to just call a screen redraw function rather than cherry pick and have to make sure you draw the correct pixels.

To keep things sync'd they'll either have to write the screen buffer in sync with the screen draw (very unlikely, probably impossible for this hardware) or double buffer (or better). That means anything that changes part of the screen and not a full refresh would need to do so correctly and keep track of what pixels to clear and overwrite in both screen buffers, further complicating potential optimizations. Granted, there can be sections of things that are updated every frame vs the whole screen, but depending on the architecture this could potentially be slower as well. (Don't know for this particular hardware)

And even if they did do some kind of optimization, that still doesn't change the fact that drawing nothingness is cheaper than drawing a texture.

Suffice it to say, I guarantee than can completely redraw the screen with the current UI faster than any potential optimized draw code they had in place in 6.2.

Ok, but none of that indicates they were CPU/GPU constrained which was the primary reason they moved to a "flat design." Based on all the other "facts" this entire redesign was from a (misguided) design standpoint, not a hardware/performance one. Even on the release notes, they say it's a "New, modern look." It's the design language bandwagon that *everyone* is jumping on these days. Even with the new AP display, there are lots of complex elements redrawn constantly (the changing lanes, the multiple toy cars [plenty of textures there], as well as the constant textured proximity/blind spot warnings). If they were really CPU/GPU constrained, I'd wouldn't expect to see such a complex display compared to 6.2.

But I don't expect to change your mind, so we'll just have to agree to disagree on this.

Weights are updated. Now we know the curb weight of the P90D and 90D and that there doesn't seem to be a change.

View attachment 97923

So, the 90D has 1,811 pounds (P90D 1,719 lbs) cargo capacity whereas the 85D has 971 pounds (P85D 923lbs)? That's an enormous increase in cargo capacity for the upgrade to the new incrementally experimental battery type model! Is this more Model X upgrades being built into the newer Model S's and tested out on them? That would make some sense. Plus, those are new improvements, so why not bring them online in the newest product? But the main factor is that there is a bit of value there for some cargo oriented people.

Minor gripe here - you don't get tire pressures if you have coil suspension - according to Tesla tech support just now. Big Bummer! My Volt doesn't have air suspension and it gives individual tire pressures. Seems a petty way to get people to buy air suspension if that's the idea.
Wait, the ONLY thing that I thought was worth while in v7 from all I can tell. And you are telling me I wouldn't get that if I upgraded (which I won't)?
And amazingly I have SEEN the Tesla Service screen that does indeed show individual tire pressure for my four tires. It showed that on my VIN11xxx 60 built in March 13, btw... and it equally shows this for my March 15 P85D. Both have coil suspension.
Wow. Just wow.

- - - Updated - - -

I have coil suspension and I get individual tire pressure readings in 7.0. Not sure what the tesla tech is smoking.
Oh good. Should have continued reading before responding.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I got 7.0 this afternoon and my worst fears were realized. No new functionality for my "classic" and a bunch of stuff I used to rely on GONE. The trip app no longer shows my Trip A and Trip B values, the Climate Icon no longer shows the system status (I mainly over-ride from Auto and liked to see that) as well as a HUGE step back on the UI. It looks AWFUL. Tesla really needs to fix this ASAP.
I was going to ask this earlier... are Trip A and B gone completely? Or are they somehow accessible from the big screen or something?

- - - Updated - - -

The fact that the system would run faster with less texturing of the UI... and that today I have the proof to back it up. v7 is infinitely more responsive than 6.2.
Oh I never had any doubt that you were spot on with that. That was the MAIN driving factor behind Apple switching to a flat design to begin with. Ignore all the babble about clean and whatever. It had ALWAYS been driven by the necessary GPU power. In Apple's case this was to reach their battery life targets. In Tesla case it's to be able to actually draw what they want to draw. Flat graphics are significantly less draining on the GPU.

Correlation is not causation.

Just because you perceive it as more responsive isn't evidence that the static shadows and textures on the previous UI had any impact on CPU cycles.
It's not the static textures - it's everything where there is change. The analog speed / power meter. Your rendering pipeline gets a lot simpler (I have spent too much time looking at this stuff for the past decade - that's part of what I do for a living). So just take my word for it, if you don't mind, Hank... switching to a flat UI has advantages - either in lower power or better performance (those are both exactly the same thing, much to everyone's surprise).

I'm looking forward to your review of this. You tend to provide great detail in such things, so it'll make my decision to hit install or wait.

Just took a quick drive around the block with the P85.

The P85, VIN P21xxx does NOT have the tire pressure monitor "app" as expected.

I can tell a little bit of difference with the throttle near 0 MPH. It's almost unnoticeable, and if I hadn't driven the P85 the other day I probably wouldn't be able to tell an improvement there.

No idea how much of an improvement RWD torque sleep provides, but I doubt it's too substantial.

Aside from the trips tab in the controls menu everything appears to be exactly the same as in 6.2, just with the new v7 look.

The speedometer/power meter is definitely a higher frame rate than it was previously. This car has the original lower resolution instrument cluster display which I thought didn't suffer from any latency before anyway due to the lower pixel count... but it's improved in v7 for sure.

The 17" is just as responsive as in the P85D now. Everything is just a hair snappier. The P85's interface wasn't as laggy as the P85D in 6.2, but it is now improved from where it was (which again, wasn't bad).

The full screen media app is nice. Being able to have the "Now Playing" and the playlist/selection screen open at the same time is probably one of the biggest UI improvements in the classic version of v7.

No new brake hold things like the P85D, as expected.

Basically it's the front end UI looks and some back end changes that seem to improve the overall responsiveness of the interface. The interface comes with the gripes of everyone that have been floating around for a while. Lack of time/date/temp on the IC, silly toy car (which does show the brake lights, although I think this should have just been tied to the regen bar color somehow instead of the toy car), etc. The 17" is improved for sure in v7, the IC is a little lacking now.

So, I'm on the fence about it. It's cool, probably best to stay updated, but I do like the 6.2 interface better for the non-AP cars I think.

I like the new UI. You have issues with it. That's okay.
The new UI isn't going away, though of course Tesla will modify it over time. But I am pretty sure the old UI won't be coming back.
Definitely not. I am not delusional. My imaginary friends will confirm that.
But I certainly hope that Tesla will take some of the feedback into account and fix some of the more annoying issues with 7.1. If the mistakenly leaked picture in the press kit is any indication, they may be working in the right direction - so there is hope.

- - - Updated - - -

dirk, Trip A (but not B) is on the instrument cluster "trips" app. Both A and B are available on the 17".
Thanks. Would you happen to have a screen shot? That would be neat.

Thanks. Would you happen to have a screen shot? That would be neat.

Here's a lousy one. I just took it to record my data. If you'd like a better one, I can go out to the garage and take a better shot of the full screen.

trips screen shot.jpg