Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think this is a good analogy. With ABS and airbags, you don't have a choice to disable them, whereas with autopilot, it is disabled by default and you have to engage it yourself, so I don't see this as a safety issue.

True, it's not on by default. But when turned on it very much is a safety critical piece of the car. And Tesla is pushing the hype machine hard in order to create demand...

I don't think this is a good analogy. With ABS and airbags, you don't have a choice to disable them, whereas with autopilot, it is disabled by default and you have to engage it yourself, so I don't see this as a safety issue.

It is if you turn it on... :)

That's a weak argument. What's preventing pretty much all cars out there from being driven at 100+ mph on public roads? Common sense and a sense of self-preservation apart from respect for the law (to varying degrees). Cars are capable of those speeds despite them being way higher than max speed limits in most parts of the world.

I was chatting yesterday with a friend who's been a long-time employee at nvidia and who's actively working on their automotive initiatives that include the collaboration with Tesla. We discussed what nvidia's working on - some degrees of Deep Learning (using their GPUs) about objects, creatures and situations encountered on the road - and how that faces off against Mobileye.

He was genuinely in awe of Tesla for taking this bold step to get the Autopilot features out there and I completely agree.

And, "Beta" testing is never ever complete, particularly with complex software like this. So, getting more data and real-world execution of the software is the right way to refine this to death.

And, "Beta" testing is never ever complete, particularly with complex software like this. So, getting more data and real-world execution of the software is the right way to refine this to death.

Refine it to death BEFORE you release the software, not at the expense of owners' safety. This software has been in beta testing for months only to be released as a public beta. We already have videos of the car steering into oncoming traffic and another towards a concrete barrier. What's next, a cliff?

Someone answer me this... did Mercedes release their version of this feature as a BETA? Anyone? Did Mercedes do this the "wrong" way, then, by releasing a finished product that was properly tested? Are you saying that Mercedes did not have enough real-world execution data, and the only way to get this is by releasing a beta product?

Are there videos of the Mercedes implementation steering towards dangerous objects?

Are there videos of the Mercedes implementation steering towards dangerous objects?

Firstly; Mercedes probably requires you to hold your hands on the wheels. So does Tesla, it says clearly in the manual and the release notes. Keep your hands on the wheel at all times! The two videos are of drivers not following this requirement and therefore it is not Teslas fault that the users of the car don't do as they where told to. Before radar based cruise control, what prevented you to set it at a too high speed and ram into the car in front of you? Nothing except the drivers common sense. Same applies here - use common sense. The same sense you use when you don't drink and drive. The same sense you use when you don't speed past a school. Or do the thousands of dangerous things you can do in a car. Every car allows the driver to kill themselves or people around the car. It is up to the driver to handle the deathly machine with caution.

Somehow I am missing a <sarcasm>...</sarcasm> tag in this post.
I am freaked out that Tesla would put this to general release, even admitting that it's beta.
I get the excitement of the tech lovers for all this. But it completely freaks me out that this has been released and is apparently being pushed to all cars.
People in general don't have common sense. People will try stupid stuff. And sooner or later this will go badly wrong.

Did you/do you have the same reaction to "ludicrous" mode? If not, why not?

Did you/do you have the same reaction to "ludicrous" mode? If not, why not?

No. That is an active decision where the driver decides to floor it and it actually takes some determination to keep your foot down.
The scary party about ap in my mind is that it lures you in. It makes you feel safe. Allows your mind to drift. Until suddenly you need to be super alert to deal with an issue.
I'll say comfortably that very few people will floor their fun pedal in ludicrous mode and feel lulled into complacency and have their mind drift [emoji3]

No. That is an active decision where the driver decides to floor it and it actually takes some determination to keep your foot down.
The scary party about ap in my mind is that it lures you in. It makes you feel safe. Allows your mind to drift. Until suddenly you need to be super alert to deal with an issue.
I'll say comfortably that very few people will floor their fun pedal in ludicrous mode and feel lulled into complacency and have their mind drift [emoji3]

OK. On the other hand, a powerful car, not to say a ludicrously powerful car, is virtually the canonical example for "people do not have common sense. People will try stupid stuff … Something will go badly wrong".

I remember all these concerns being raised when the traditional cruise control started to come out. "I'll never trust my life to the cruise control", etc. It's new -- people have to get used to it and it's limitations. Net net, it will save lives -- more so as it gets better and people understand how it works, and not works.

Day 3 of AP: over 550 miles driven because I decided to take a drive to Lake Tahoe and back to look at Fall colors. Yea, I'm that committed. But also, the car drove 95% of the way.

AP was impressive and definitely helps reduce workload on the driver. In its current state, I think it's very good for drivers who understand how it works and are willing to develop a sense of its limitations by feel. You will need quick reflexes and constant scanning of the field of view. There will be times where you will have to rescue the AP from doing something inappropriate and potentially unsafe. But that's why you need to keep your hands on the wheel.

Leaving South Tahoe with 59 RM left and 80 miles to Folsom SC was scary. Arrived with 25 miles of range left though thanks to downhill action.

Here are some conditions I drove through today for a Tahoe trip ... AP worked in all of them.

Fog so dense I could not see the car in front of me, but AP could:
20151017_155805.jpg

Stop-and-go traffic, no problem:
20151017_161642.jpg

Low angle sunlight that freaks out BMW i3's, no problem:
20151017_175352.jpg

Night time highway:
20151017_190003.jpg

Tunnels:
20151017_190654.jpg

Drive safe out there.

- K

Day 3 of AP: over 550 miles driven because I decided to take a drive to Lake Tahoe and back to look at Fall colors. Yea, I'm that committed. But also, the car drove 95% of the way.

AP was impressive and definitely helps reduce workload on the driver. In its current state, I think it's very good for drivers who understand how it works and are willing to develop a sense of its limitations by feel. You will need quick reflexes and constant scanning of the field of view. There will be times where you will have to rescue the AP from doing something inappropriate and potentially unsafe. But that's why you need to keep your hands on the wheel.

Thanks for the detailed report.

In other 7.0 news that are not related to AP (those who don't have AP might be feeling left out of this thread), I noticed a change in behavior in drive-away door locks.

In 6.x releases, it took about 20 seconds after walking away at least a dozen feet from the car for the doors to lock.

Now with 7.0, it seems that this takes about half as long. I haven't timed it yet, but it seems to be about 10 seconds.

Anyone else notice that?

We did a day trip from Lafayette to Petaluma and back today (part of which involved me trying my hand at milking a cow, but I digress). For non-Bay Area-ns, that's about an hour each way, almost all freeway driving.

My wife drove the outbound leg totally manually, and spent this time getting used to the new 7.0 UI. She has less than 10 hours of driving time in the Tesla, she drives a BMW 3-series. The new UI really made her uncomfortable (she wants the 6.2 UI back too), until I told her that if she's the one doing the driving (no AP or cruise control), she could ignore almost everything in the middle of the IC except the speedometer.

I drove back, partly on AP in light to moderate traffic on a freeway at night. It started off doing pretty well, no surprises, although I took over for it a couple of times when I thought it was getting too close to a car in an adjacent lane, and one time on a descending turn when it completely gave up. As many other posters have noted, situational awareness, and being ready to take over, is key. Ultimately I went back to manual control, because the tones from switching AP on and off made my wife pretty nervous. The constant stream of questions from our 8-year-old son wasn't helping...driving with AP engaged is actually more work at this point because I have to monitor the AP *and* answer all his questions about a system I'm just learning about myself...sigh. Maybe I need to do a long solo road trip somewhere!

(I charged at the Petaluma supercharger for the first time, just for the heck of it. Saw everything from a very low VIN Sig P85 to a month-old S90D and had some nice conversations with some other owners.)