Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Autopilot limitations active in this build?
I don't know yet. It's really gross out today. I will try tomorrow and report back. All I read on screen that was new was the Launch Mode and Nav fixes, same as someone else posted for 2.9.40. Then the rest below that seems to be the original 7.0 notes. It does say that AP is not available above 45mph on residential roads, but that's in the 7.0 notes so think that's been there all along? Can't remember but maybe someone who hasn't updated can check and see if theirs says something different?

Is "HeaterGate" acceptable? Sounds better. ;)

No one is asking me, but I'll offer my two cents anyway: gate makes it sound like there is some sort of controversy surrounding this. For example, the version that in theory may have limited auto pilot features would have, in my mind, more appropriately had a "gate" appended on to its name. But if the purpose of naming this version is to recognize the fact that it is --solving-- a problem, the "gate" seems misguided.

Is "HeaterGate" acceptable? Sounds better. ;)
Yes, it does sound better. It's all in fun, right? I've been reading so much from those in colder climes who are freezing and I feel their pain - occasionally...:tongue:

- - - Updated - - -

What?? Are we getting the old speedometer back?
And the big Clock is gone!:wink:

<sarcasm sign>

I don't know yet. It's really gross out today. I will try tomorrow and report back. All I read on screen that was new was the Launch Mode and Nav fixes, same as someone else posted for 2.9.40. Then the rest below that seems to be the original 7.0 notes. It does say that AP is not available above 45mph on residential roads, but that's in the 7.0 notes so think that's been there all along? Can't remember but maybe someone who hasn't updated can check and see if theirs says something different?

AP not being available above 45 on residential roads was not in the original autopilot release notes. I believe it was added in the 2.9.40 release notes.

On the other hand, if Tesla manages to get the entire fleet updated before there are any catastrophic accidents, they will have then, of course, decreased their liability. I just think they are taking some big risks trying to get to that point.

I have to disagree with you there. At some point a car with the AP restrictions will be involved in a catastrophic accident, at which point, plaintiff's lawyers will say that Tesla knew AP was unsafe because they chose to restrict it instead of placing responsibility solely on the driver.

IANAL but I suspect relevant case law is the numerous lawsuits over fatal crashes of the Carrera GT, which does not have electronic stability control (and is also the most awesome car I've ever had the privilege to drive).

$4.5 million awarded in Porsche Carrera GT case
Paul Walkers Daughter Files Wrongful Death Lawsuit Against PorscheÂ*
Paul Walkers Father Is Also Filing A Wrongful Death Lawsuit Against Porsche

Actually, that gets me thinking - perhaps Tesla can include a procedure to turn the AP limitations off that you have to do each time the car is started. It would then be similar to disabling stability control. Of course I prefer the current system but this might be a reasonable compromise.

Last edited:
2.9.68 Differences from 2.7.56

SC downloaded 7.0 2.9.68 while I was there yesterday for a couple other things. Given how late it was, they allowed me to perform the update at my convenience, which I did last night to replace 7.0 2.7.56 in my S90D. Estimated install time was 1 hr 40 mins. It's too early and weather is too ugly outside to try it on the road yet, but I've just spent some time looking at the displays and comparing release notes to photos I had taken of 2.7.56. Sorry if I've missed something, but wanted to get some facts out here vs the continued speculation in case it's useful to others. ;) My first look at 2.9.68:

Physical/Display Differences 2.7.56 to 2.9.68
  • IC now has temperature to right of Rated Range, as well as digital time to the left of gear position indicator at bottom of the display
  • 17" retains digital time in upper right header, but has no temp
  • The optional IC analog clock remains if one wants to use it, with the blue sweep second hand, and a loss of digital time on the face (I think it had? I don't use this, so don't remember for sure.)
  • No other controls or settings have apparent changes as I flipped through them on the IC and 17", but I could have missed some nuance
  • I see no change to Rated Range calculation after a 90% charge (see 90D thread)

Release Notes
Two "New Features & Improvements" noted at the top of the screen
  • Navigation is easier to use: You now have quick access to your recent location searches when you tap the search field. Additionally, Offline Address Entry is easily accessible for starting Navigation in low-connectivity areas.
    The way this works is you touch the Places button. The drop down shows 5 last destinations or searches where they can be tapped to be reentered. At the bottom of those 5 entries is a new "Offline Address Entry" selection that when touched provides a pop-up allowing an address, city and state to be manually entered.

• The auto windshield-wiping logic has been improved.
    I've not tried this yet, but IMHO, changes are always welcome here. I previously fiddled with this and applied manual sweeps more in my MS than I ever did in my previous Lexus or MBZ when on Auto.

I've noted the following additional changes scanning photos of previous release notes to the new display (sure wish Tesla would use change bars, but we did get two new items called out above this time around!):
  • A number of photos have been updated -- several help with clarity as to what's being described, or just include current display elements to match this release (like the blue sweep hand and lack of digital time in the optional analog clock)
  • There is a specific new sentence at the top of the release notes now referring readers to the Owner's Manual for more detailed information
  • For those that care about minutia, there are some font changes and text reformatting in the release notes themselves -- resulting in no substantive new/changed information... BUT what many of you likely care more about:

• Autosteer (NEW TEXT)
    • In general, you must be traveling at least 18 mph to engage Autosteer. However, you can initiate Autosteer at any speed when a vehicle is detected in front of you. Auto steer cannot be activated above 45mph on roads without a center divider or residential roads.
  • Autopark (NEW TEXT)
    • Autopark needs to go through a calibration process before it can be used. This process can take anywhere from 30 minutes to several days depending on driving behavior. You will see "auto park is calibrating" in the Driver Assistance settings while Autopack is being calibrated."
    • Autopark will repeat the calibration process whenever tires are changed.

Last edited:
With just a few miles running errands on 2.9.68 just now, I agree that it appears there is no physical difference in Autopilot restrictions from what I knew with 2.7.56, and only the more restrictive language has (so far) been placed into the release notes ... i.e. what's written doesn't match what's presently implemented.

So, is there consensus that 7.0 versions do not actually include the autopilot limitations? If so I might see if service will stage it for me so I can get launch mode. :)

I think I've counted two confirmations, but I haven't read the whole thread...

So, is there consensus that 7.0 versions do not actually include the autopilot limitations? If so I might see if service will stage it for me so I can get launch mode. :)

I think I've counted two confirmations, but I haven't read the whole thread...

There are definitely more than two reports that the current versions (other than perhaps the versions that people think may have been incorrectly released beta versions) do not actually restrict the auto pilot the way the notes indicate that they do. And I believe on the flip side, there are no reports (again, those odd beta releases excluded) of any standard releases that have added restrictions.

So I think you should be safe, provided you get one of the versions people have been reporting on.

Edit: The one caveat I should add is that some fear that since the warning is in the notes, these versions could somehow allow Tesla to change something from their end, and limit autopilot that way, without an additional firmware update. I'm guessing you are aware of that concern, and discount it as unrealistic.

Edit: The one caveat I should add is that some fear that since the warning is in the notes, these versions could somehow allow Tesla to change something from their end, and limit autopilot that way, without an additional firmware update. I'm guessing you are aware of that concern, and discount it as unrealistic.

Why unrealistic? Wasn't Tesla able to disable AP in Hong Kong after it was already deployed?

Why unrealistic? Wasn't Tesla able to disable AP in Hong Kong after it was already deployed?

I'm not making a comment on whether or not I believe it is unrealistic or not. I don't know enough. I was assuming that wk057 must think it was unrealistic, or he wouldn't be considering upgrading to a version of the firmware with notes that suggest limitations he does not want.

I'm not making a comment on whether or not I believe it is unrealistic or not. I don't know enough. I was assuming that wk057 must think it was unrealistic, or he wouldn't be considering upgrading to a version of the firmware with notes that suggest limitations he does not want.
I'm not sure I'd call it unrealistic. It's pretty easy for Tesla to add logic to firmware to "limit feature at location W if maps have XYZ data there" and then push the map updates later (as unprompted, non-firmware "updates").