Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I understand why the v7.1 center reboot button hold was reduced from 20 seconds to 5 seconds.
I've never had to reboot so many times compared to v6.x .. GPS shows me driving 50 feet beside the road, Media playback freezing between Browse and Playback tabs, screen swaps to config screen ....
Sure doesn't seem as stable as 6.x

The time was reduced? It seems about the same as always, to me, which is about 5 seconds. Maybe it's changed a little, but I don't believe it was ever anywhere close to 20.

What update has an estimated 45 minute install time?
IMG_3385.JPG

Bloomberg reviewed 8.0 & here is what they had to say about music & navigation,
Good on music, bad on traffic
The updates that will probably affect the most users are the maps and media player. The Tesla 8.0 media player is much more intuitive, with a powerful search engine that combs through radio stations and podcasts from TuneIn and Slacker. The best new feature is the prominent “Favorites” category, which provides one-touch access to your favorite songs, stations, and podcasts from multiple Internet sources and the radio, all in one place.

Most car media centers are a crude imitation of the apps that are already available on your phone. In this case, the easy integration of content from multiple sources is something I haven’t seen before, and it works great for the car, where you really shouldn’t be digging into apps while driving.

The maps still leave much to be desired. Don’t get me wrong, the integration of Google maps and charging data is superb. The search functionality is great, and the app will tell you how much charge you can expect to have left when you reach your destination. The voice controls, built in-house by Tesla, were much improved and useful for navigation.

The problem is with the traffic-based navigation, which is built by Tesla and overlayed on Google Maps. The directions it provides often offer the most direct route, even if it sends you into a heap of gridlocked traffic. Meanwhile, Google maps on my phone picks the roads less traveled and gets me to my destination in half the time. Also, Tesla’s navigation estimated that I could drive from my home in Brooklyn to my work in Midtown Manhattan in half an hour. That would be difficult to accomplish even at midnight on a Sunday. During rush hour on a Tuesday, it’s laughable. Google’s estimate, coming in at an hour, was a bit more realistic. This isn’t a huge knock on Tesla; no one can do Google maps like Google can. It’s just unfortunate that in bad traffic, I still had to rely on my phone, which looked sad as it rested up against Tesla’s monster screen.

Tesla Motors & Elon tweeted the article Tesla Drivers Wake Up to a Serious Upgrade

Bloomberg reviewed 8.0 & here is what they had to say about music & navigation,
Good on music, bad on traffic
The updates that will probably affect the most users are the maps and media player. The Tesla 8.0 media player is much more intuitive, with a powerful search engine that combs through radio stations and podcasts from TuneIn and Slacker. The best new feature is the prominent “Favorites” category, which provides one-touch access to your favorite songs, stations, and podcasts from multiple Internet sources and the radio, all in one place.

Most car media centers are a crude imitation of the apps that are already available on your phone. In this case, the easy integration of content from multiple sources is something I haven’t seen before, and it works great for the car, where you really shouldn’t be digging into apps while driving.

The maps still leave much to be desired. Don’t get me wrong, the integration of Google maps and charging data is superb. The search functionality is great, and the app will tell you how much charge you can expect to have left when you reach your destination. The voice controls, built in-house by Tesla, were much improved and useful for navigation.

The problem is with the traffic-based navigation, which is built by Tesla and overlayed on Google Maps. The directions it provides often offer the most direct route, even if it sends you into a heap of gridlocked traffic. Meanwhile, Google maps on my phone picks the roads less traveled and gets me to my destination in half the time. Also, Tesla’s navigation estimated that I could drive from my home in Brooklyn to my work in Midtown Manhattan in half an hour. That would be difficult to accomplish even at midnight on a Sunday. During rush hour on a Tuesday, it’s laughable. Google’s estimate, coming in at an hour, was a bit more realistic. This isn’t a huge knock on Tesla; no one can do Google maps like Google can. It’s just unfortunate that in bad traffic, I still had to rely on my phone, which looked sad as it rested up against Tesla’s monster screen.

Tesla Motors & Elon tweeted the article Tesla Drivers Wake Up to a Serious Upgrade
I wonder if he maybe doesn't have Traffic-based Routing turned on.
IMG_3386.JPG

Weird that all the money shots of dashboards in the Bloomberg article talking about all the new nav stuff, shows the analog clock on the left side of the IC, ugh. Art editor must have thought it made for a better photo ... eesh, the most unloved app.