Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yah, I've been meaning to report this to Tesla. When taking the 520 E exit from 405 N, with TACC set at 65mph (speed limit 60mph) the car slows to 45mph. Not just annoying. Unsafe. Incredibly so.
I agree. Driving on a 2-lane mountain road TACC is worse than useless. I have to turn it off. If it would just hold the set speed as an old-fashion cruise control would then it would be just fine; I can manually tap the brake for the odd corner that may require slowing.
so why is it so bad to just tap the accelerator when needed?
For me, much of the time the entire reason to use CC is because I don't have to manage speed -- without it, I'd be comfortable driving 120mph on almost any freeway / highway that I drive. (Assuming no significant traffic.)

If the solution to "broken TACC" is "press the accelerator", then it's not satisfying my primary need for CC -- that I don't need to manage speed.

Navigation also gets confused when you back out sometimes -- leading to extra lefts or rights or U-turns at the beginning of your journey. Lately, I don't trust the nav until at least 2 blocks have been driven.

Unfortunately I can't trust Nav at any point in my journey. It takes me in circles about 30% of the time and reroutes me without notification or warning.

Definitely report that to Tesla. Totally unacceptable -- and unusual.

I have reported this dozens of times and while I agree not everyone has this problem a lot do as evidenced in the many, many TMC threads on this topic. I'm sure you know that if you have the setting turned on Nav will re-route you automatically (without notification) if it thinks it can save you time.

Tesla believed the problem was in the outdated Navigon maps database but after getting the newest one last January it's only marginally better. I just use my iPhone Nav (Apple Maps or Waze) now because I need to trust Nav and it's not really a priority for Tesla.

I have reported this dozens of times and while I agree not everyone has this problem a lot do as evidenced in the many, many TMC threads on this topic. I'm sure you know that if you have the setting turned on Nav will re-route you automatically (without notification) if it thinks it can save you time.

Tesla believed the problem was in the outdated Navigon maps database but after getting the newest one last January it's only marginally better. I just use my iPhone Nav (Apple Maps or Waze) now because I need to trust Nav and it's not really a priority for Tesla.
Thanks for the reports. Hopefully, eventually this will nudge Tesla to improve the software.

How does your car behave if you don't the reroute setting on?

Thanks for the reports. Hopefully, eventually this will nudge Tesla to improve the software.

How does your car behave if you don't the reroute setting on?

Still the same circling about a third of the time at the destination but it doesn't take me on circuitous routes to get there. I think the traffic setting is a really great idea but it should give drivers an option to accept or reject the routing.

Reactions: TaoJones
Unfortunately I can't trust Nav at any point in my journey. It takes me in circles about 30% of the time and reroutes me without notification or warning.

Exactly this, yep, and it's far from unusual. And dangerous when you consider the implications (as Tesla is well aware and has acknowledged). While seasoned travelers know to not rely upon any sole source/single navigational aid, it's a tad frustrating when the primary one arbitrarily reroutes you without so much as a courtesy reacharound. So to speak.

I've reported this to Tesla as well - they fixed one or two bugs (each confirmed and escalated, but with no external tracking provided for followup), but it's still bad - especially the failure to notify when lateral rerouting occurs. As an example, this sent me into a bad section of a midwestern city late one evening and I was NOT happy; a simple alert/ok window noting the change is all that's needed. First name basis with more than one Tesla support rep at the other end of the ownership line that trip, yeah - and they're well aware of the problem(s). Also quite helpful with getting logs together and accurately conveying details as long as you're patient with them. Details matter, yeah.

Am about to embark upon a series of journeys to visit most if not all of the 19 states I missed last year. Whether Nav has improved or not is immaterial since I have learned to not rely upon it - similar to the web browser. Even with the LTE upgrade, it still can't handle the Design Studio, and that's just embarrassing. No fix until a new chipset, which hopefully started with the Model X or at least with the facelifted cars.

Anyway, for Nav reliability, there's Waze, mounted between the MCU and the IC in clear view and Google Maps as a backup. Hopefully Nav has improved, but it's not evident yet with the small trips ( up to 500 miles each way) that I've taken this year so far - I'd like to get 1000 miles down the road without something odd happening with navigation.

I have to say I have given up trying to track what's broken and what's fixed and what behaves what way from build to build, but given the conversation a few days ago I'll just add this: The rain sensing wiper control algorithm is f***** in 2.16.17. It's worse than whatever build I had in December, then was subsequently improved, and now broken.

But hey, I guess it doesn't rain in california, so how would they know? Maybe from all that data collection they are doing o_O:rolleyes:. Yeah right.

Reactions: PaulusdB
there is this thing that most of us have but not all of us implement, it is a brain. people should feel free to put their brains to use in such situations. while the trip planner in the car has seen significant improvements it is far from perfect and should be used in conjunction with your knowledge of the car and climatic conditions to decide whether a charge stop is necessary or if it can be skipped.
safe travels

No one knows where the ON button for that is anymore.....

Reactions: int32_t and kort677
The latest issue i have been having is that the jack mode indicator has been coming on in my display (same icon but not the same color as the suspension needs servicing indicator) while i am driving. It is not in jack mode and the manual and automatic lowering still seem to be working as expected and a reboot does not clear it up. I send an audio bug report from the car whenever i notice it but have not gotten any feedback from Tesla about it. Is anybody else seeing this?

Smart Air Suspension icon on the instrument cluster in yellow indicates a fault. SAS icon in red indicates that self-leveling is disabled or SAS is in jack mode.

I received a constant SAS red indicator light several months ago, turned out that there was a tiny leak in the system and the internal pressure was insufficient to raise the car on one wheel, so the vehicle couldn't self-level.

I recommend you make a service appointment.

... and we have the first report of 2.18.18 (still calls itself 7.1 it seems). That's the 32nd build of 7.1 that we have reports for (ignoring betas).
Overall the number of reports in the past 10 days has been quite slow - after the fairly complete roll-out of 2.17.37 (330 reports) only 2.17.95 got a noticeable number (31). 2.17.50, 2.17.65, and 2.17.80 didn't get much traction at all.

FYI 2.17.95 updated the following systems (from 2.17.37):

CID (Center Display)
IC (Instrument Cluster)
Gateway
Parking Brake

Not much this time.
That answers my question regarding whether the Service Center installed it because they replaced my charge port motor or just for fun -- apparently the latter. A few days later, I had a spontaneous reboot when I returned to the parked car -- spent several minutes waiting for it to come up to drivable state. Probably it had gone catatonic shortly after I walked away after parking, because it had been unresponsive to the remote app. No apparent reason, though the center display had been balky before I parked, and I'd been getting music playback skips. First time it's happened to me.

That answers my question regarding whether the Service Center installed it because they replaced my charge port motor or just for fun -- apparently the latter. A few days later, I had a spontaneous reboot when I returned to the parked car -- spent several minutes waiting for it to come up to drivable state. Probably it had gone catatonic shortly after I walked away after parking, because it had been unresponsive to the remote app. No apparent reason, though the center display had been balky before I parked, and I'd been getting music playback skips. First time it's happened to me.
The skips and balkiness happened to me on Saturday. It then rebooted itself. Still on .37