Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They don't even need sensors, if the car is in reverse keep the indicator pointing the other direction.

But what is "other"? Let us say that you just reversed 10 feet and are exactly at the South Pole. Which way should the arrow point? This question cannot be answered b/c we do not know if you moved 10 feet East, West, North, or South to get to the exact South Pole. Without a starting point + ending point + direction of travel, we can't know which way to point. All I was saying upthread is that Tesla's code may not be keeping a history to allow for starting point + ending point.

For the record, I don't care about the indicator, I'm just thinking about the process.

The map and nav inside the car know the orientation of the car (with the map indicator showing which way north is) so there has to be a gyro or compass or something in addition to the GPS. Also since this is a new problem on cars that worked properly before, we know this is a software problem that an be fixed. My 2013 Model S showed everything correctly until recently; now it doesn't.

The directional indication in the car works on differentials..comparing 2 or more gps positions over time. It doesn't use a gyro or compass. If the GPS can figure out that you're heading northeast (which it can), then naturally it's easy to know that north is a simple rotation of 45° to the left. No gyro or compass needed. It works just like virtually every other automotive GPS system. The intent of the arrow is not to show which way you are facing, but instead to show which direction on the earth you are heading.

So when you are backing down your driveway, the arrow will point toward the direction of the trunk, by design. It is not intended to tell you which way your car is facing.

The directional indication in the car works on differentials..comparing 2 or more gps positions over time
Are you sure about this? What is your source? Most cars/phones/toys in a cracker jack box these days have inertial sensors used for navigating while out of view of GPS. In fact, on many systems, inertial nav is primary and GPS is only used for correction.

But certainly no flux gate compass.

Mostly perception of quality. I look at my phone app with aerial image overlay and see the car parked sideways in a parking spot... How would you feel showing that to someone while demoing the app?

Or on aerial image overlay, my car usually shows as in my front neighbor pool. And reversing in the garage the door open automatically, going forward it stay closed.

My personal take is if the designers of any app use an arrow, it's there to show direction. If the intent is to only indicate a location, a non-directional dot or bullet is preferred. I consider it a sort of basic when it comes to UI design -- even the little I was involved with way back-in-the-day. ;)

...so, on my Tesla, I would expect the Nav arrow to always be pointing in the right direction unless there was an unusual circumstance (e.g. calibration, out-of-GPS-contact perhaps), no different than it does in other vehicles I've owned or other apps I'm familiar with. Fortunately for me, I've not encountered a situation where my MS Nav arrow is pointing the wrong way as some others are finding. It would drive me a little nuts if it pointed the wrong way very often, especially in the most expensive luxury vehicle I've ever owned.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclone
MAJOR IMPROVEMENT NOTED

I am pleased to report that some major Model X seat movement issues have been corrected with 2.17.95 (possibility earlier as not all updates were received). My need to push the easy entry button twice to move an original second row seat completely forward is fixed (it would stop halfway). The best improvement is the restoration of preset front seat positions when returning the 2nd row to a passenger position. At last, the problem of the driver seat being dropped to the lowest position with minimal leg space is SOLVED.

(The missing key fob message no longer appears, another major plus.)

Reactions: int32_t and zambono
MAJOR IMPROVEMENT NOTED

I am pleased to report that some major Model X seat movement issues have been corrected with 2.17.95 (possibility earlier as not all updates were received). My need to push the easy entry button twice to move an original second row seat completely forward is fixed (it would stop halfway). The best improvement is the restoration of preset front seat positions when returning the 2nd row to a passenger position. At last, the problem of the driver seat being dropped to the lowest position with minimal leg space is SOLVED.

(The missing key fob message no longer appears, another major plus.)
Glad to hear of the improvement, even though my MS doesn't have a movable 2nd row. ;). Hopefully you've posted your finding in the Model X Forum where more MX owners may benefit.

Glad to hear of the improvement, even though my MS doesn't have a movable 2nd row. ;). Hopefully you've posted your finding in the Model X Forum where more MX owners may benefit.
Yes, an entry was made to the appropriate thread. They made comments that they don't get to try the new software fix because their Model X is being repaired at the service center.

Since this is a 7.1 issue, it needed to be mentioned here as well. It's not that often we get to celebrate a solution we have been requesting for months.

Or on aerial image overlay, my car usually shows as in my front neighbor pool. And reversing in the garage the door open automatically, going forward it stay closed.

I don't know why people are getting upset about the arrow ... the arrow is just a symptom of the main problem. When i back into my garage from far enough away after the opening in x meters appears, the distance for the x meters increases as i get closer to the garage. The programmers seem to be using unsigned variables in an inappropriate manner and it affects all sorts of things like gps set points and arrows ... the issue is with what other side effects we don't see by their improper management of a simple variable.

The latest issue i have been having is that the jack mode indicator has been coming on in my display (same icon but not the same color as the suspension needs servicing indicator) while i am driving. It is not in jack mode and the manual and automatic lowering still seem to be working as expected and a reboot does not clear it up. I send an audio bug report from the car whenever i notice it but have not gotten any feedback from Tesla about it. Is anybody else seeing this?

I don't know why people are getting upset about the arrow ... the arrow is just a symptom of the main problem. When i back into my garage from far enough away after the opening in x meters appears, the distance for the x meters increases as i get closer to the garage. The programmers seem to be using unsigned variables in an inappropriate manner and it affects all sorts of things like gps set points and arrows ... the issue is with what other side effects we don't see by their improper management of a simple variable.

I agree with you, I don't care much about the arrow, its just the bug you describe that is annoying.

The latest issue i have been having is that the jack mode indicator has been coming on in my display (same icon but not the same color as the suspension needs servicing indicator) while i am driving. It is not in jack mode and the manual and automatic lowering still seem to be working as expected and a reboot does not clear it up. I send an audio bug report from the car whenever i notice it but have not gotten any feedback from Tesla about it. Is anybody else seeing this?

Strange one indeed, have not seen this or heard of it reported before.

Be sure to also send an email to [email protected] with your bug report.

I've read elsewhere that they aren't using the audio bug report much. Email definitely works, I've used it.

My BMW i3 (Which I sold when I received my Model X) had this exact capability. If I wanted to engage standard (non-traffic aware) cruise control I could. I could also toggle between adaptive and non-adaptive cruise control. Very nice feature to have.
Apologies to Blurry and those that replied to his follow-up.

I misstated my request. I don't want/need a TACC vs. non-TACC setting. I need a "listen to my set speed when unobstructed" setting so that I can opt out of "I'll become a hazardous vehicle when taking turns with no one in front of me" when TACC is on.