Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure -- it's page 69:

In right hand tra c, engaging the right turn signal when driving in the right-most lane within 164 feet (50 meters) of an exit (on a restricted access road only, such as a highway or freeway), causes Tra c-Aware Cruise Control to assume you are exiting. As a result, Tra c-Aware Cruise Control begins to slow down the vehicle. Likewise in left hand tra c, when engaging the left turn signal when driving in the left-most lane within 164 feet (50 meters) of an exit. The onboard GPS (Global Positioning System) determines if you are driving in a region with right or left hand tra c. In situations where GPS data is unavailable (for example, inadequate signal), engaging the turn signal near an exit does not cause Tra c-Aware Cruise Control to slow down the vehicle.
Okay but that section you quoted is about when you only have TACC engaged and reducing speed when you're signaling an exit. Auto lane change would only be active if AutoSteer was active. I didn't take what the manual says to mean that if you have AutoSteer active and want to exit that it will slow down.

Reactions: BertL
Okay but that section you quoted is about when you only have TACC engaged and reducing speed when you're signaling an exit. Auto lane change would only be active if AutoSteer was active. I didn't take what the manual says to mean that if you have AutoSteer active and want to exit that it will slow down.

I didn't either.... I agree with your interpretation that the slow down feature only applies to TACC and also only if the nav system understands you're close to an exit.

This is a new one for me. After plugging in to a Supercharger and then walking away I tried to turn on the AC from the iOS app. This is the message I received:

20160621_142150000_iOS.png

I have never seen this before (perhaps I never tried to activate the AC from the app with lower than 50 miles rated range remaining). The part that I find strange is that I was plugged in to a supercharger and actively charging when I received this message. I could not activate the AC until the battery reached approx. 50 rated miles. It seems to me that it should not restrict you when charging.

Mike

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclone
This is a new one for me. After plugging in to a Supercharger and then walking away I tried to turn on the AC from the iOS app. This is the message I received:

View attachment 182464

I have never seen this before (perhaps I never tried to activate the AC from the app with lower than 50 miles rated range remaining). The part that I find strange is that I was plugged in to a supercharger and actively charging when I received this message. I could not activate the AC until the battery reached approx. 50 rated miles. It seems to me that it should not restrict you when charging.

Mike
That does seems silly. You'd think at the very least it would note your request and just tell you "The A/C will not engage until the battery has charged to XX%" or some such, and then do what you asked when it can.

Reactions: Cyclone

View attachment 182464

Mike
Probably just sloppiness -- a minor bug if you prefer. Although for my money, if the pack is capable of absorbing all the power the SC can provide, I'd prefer it go there first. Ideal would be for the AC to engage after the pack starts to taper a little, as @RogerHScott suggests. I assume if you were in the cabin you'd have been able to engage the AC.

Probably just sloppiness -- a minor bug if you prefer. Although for my money, if the pack is capable of absorbing all the power the SC can provide, I'd prefer it go there first. Ideal would be for the AC to engage after the pack starts to taper a little, as @RogerHScott suggests. I assume if you were in the cabin you'd have been able to engage the AC.

Yes, if you sit in the car (or activate it by just opening a door) the A/C will run.

I prefer to be the "decider" as to whether or not any energy is diverted to the A/C. It is small and insignificant (especially the A/C) compared to what the supercharger is sending to the car. Not to mention when it's warm out and supercharging the A/C compressor is running anyway to cool the battery coolant.

Mike

• Informative
Reactions: sxnahm and GoTslaGo
Yes, if you sit in the car (or activate it by just opening a door) the A/C will run.

I prefer to be the "decider" as to whether or not any energy is diverted to the A/C. It is small and insignificant (especially the A/C) compared to what the supercharger is sending to the car. Not to mention when it's warm out and supercharging the A/C compressor is running anyway to cool the battery coolant.

Mike
Fair enough. For my own purposes, I reckon there is virtually no chance I'm going to want to leave before the car is well above 50 miles rated. So there will be ample time to cool the cabin. Anyway, no reason they shouldn't fix the bug and satisfy everyone.

I think the reason for the error message is that when you're charging at a high rate because your SOC is low, all of the A/C's capabilities are required to keep the pack cool--they wouldn't want to divert that away--you'd then find that your battery pack temperature starts rising, which of course isn't good for the cells.

Except that you can sit in the car and blast the A/C full during that time. It just won't let you turn it on via the app.

Except that you can sit in the car and blast the A/C full during that time. It just won't let you turn it on via the app.
This is not always the case (at least for the Model X). When temperatures are too high, the system cooling takes precedence. This has happened to me at the most inopportune times (when it’s 118º outside). And “Air Conditioning is Reduced” means no A/C - just hot air:
Vehicle Systems Being Cooled Notification.JPG

I received 2.24.78 from a service center yesterday and just received a update notice a few minutes ago. Guessing it's the 86 update as well. I've never received updates in succession like that before. Must have been an issue with the one from yesterday.

I think the reason for the error message is that when you're charging at a high rate because your SOC is low, all of the A/C's capabilities are required to keep the pack cool--they wouldn't want to divert that away--you'd then find that your battery pack temperature starts rising, which of course isn't good for the cells.
I think this makes the most sense. Pack is hottest at highest rate of charge. I have had the message while in the car supercharging, that the AC would be reduced in effectiveness in order to cool the battery pack. Good move on Tesla's part. I can sacrifice a little comfort for the batteries not exploding.