Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The last time my car was at the Service Center they pushed the latest firmware which I installed that night when I got home. The amusing part is that the service record said I had "deprecated firmware". It had just been installed about one week prior! Hardly deprecated but I guess not new enough.

It may have been deprecated because there was a bug in it that they didn't want to propagate. (There is no reason for something to be old to be deprecated.)

The amusing part is that the service record said I had "deprecated firmware". It had just been installed about one week prior! Hardly deprecated but I guess not new enough.
Ask most software engineers and, if you're not running the still-warm bits they just compiled as you were walking up to them, they'll say "Oh, you're still running that old sh!t?"

• Funny
Reactions: Electricfan
It will only move over one lane. If you want two lanes over, you have to release the turn signal and do it a second time. I think the first versions of the feature (7.0) kept on going. But not the case anymore. Also breakdown lanes do not count. The car will (should) not autosteeer into the road shoulder.

I just witnessed my AP try to change lanes into the road shoulder today. I was on the 405 North (Los Angeles area) approaching the Sherman Way West exit and I was testing the slow for exit functionality mentioned in the release notes of 7.1, and I selected a right hand turn signal (clicked into place, wasn't holding) maybe 1/5 mile before the exit and the car tried to take me out of my lane into the right shoulder, without slowing down.

I just witnessed my AP try to change lanes into the road shoulder today. I was on the 405 North (Los Angeles area) approaching the Sherman Way West exit and I was testing the slow for exit functionality mentioned in the release notes of 7.1, and I selected a right hand turn signal (clicked into place, wasn't holding) maybe 1/5 mile before the exit and the car tried to take me out of my lane into the right shoulder, without slowing down.
I don't know about the "slow to exit" function you mentioned but sounds like you hit the stalk too soon if you were trying to time it for the exit.

Can you give me the page number on that?

Sure -- it's page 69:

In right hand tra c, engaging the right turn signal when driving in the right-most lane within 164 feet (50 meters) of an exit (on a restricted access road only, such as a highway or freeway), causes Tra c-Aware Cruise Control to assume you are exiting. As a result, Tra c-Aware Cruise Control begins to slow down the vehicle. Likewise in left hand tra c, when engaging the left turn signal when driving in the left-most lane within 164 feet (50 meters) of an exit. The onboard GPS (Global Positioning System) determines if you are driving in a region with right or left hand tra c. In situations where GPS data is unavailable (for example, inadequate signal), engaging the turn signal near an exit does not cause Tra c-Aware Cruise Control to slow down the vehicle.

I don't know about the "slow to exit" function you mentioned but sounds like you hit the stalk too soon if you were trying to time it for the exit.

Possibly, but I'm fairly certain I've tried it before in the same location (and other locations) trying to test this function and never got it to work... But it's never attempted to change lanes into the shoulder when testing it till today. Oh well, it's somewhat of a silly feature anyway if the car isn't going to actually take the off ramp and you're forced to take command in these situations, so what's the point... Still got my attention!

Possibly, but I'm fairly certain I've tried it before in the same location (and other locations) trying to test this function and never got it to work... But it's never attempted to change lanes into the shoulder when testing it till today. Oh well, it's somewhat of a silly feature anyway if the car isn't going to actually take the off ramp and you're forced to take command in these situations, so what's the point... Still got my attention!

I've never got it to work either.