Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually i might take first on that, I went for a run by a service center last night about 11:30pm got the update notification and applied it this morning about 1am when I got home.... The update fixed my backwards wheel controls but I still have the spoiler and towing options:D I was hoping it would resolve all the issues, oh well I'm still going to bring my car in for service in a few weeks I'm guessing it will be a quick fix with a service center laptop to remove my spoiler and towing options lol I'd rather not have to leave my car for such a minor issue:rolleyes:
When I entered it in Tracker there were no other entries for that version but if you want to claim first take it, not a problem. Weird that it didn't clear your MX options. Better call the Service Center.

The update fixed my backwards wheel controls but I still have the spoiler and towing options:D I was hoping it would resolve all the issues, oh well I'm still going to bring my car in for service in a few weeks

Somewhere out there exists a baffled X owner that stumbled on a screen to open their sunroof while searching for what happened to their spoiler control.

Very cool! Thanks for the info. Now does anyone have enough free time and magical abilities to be able to make a more usable map of these locations?

That's what Sundays are here for, right? ;-)

Here, you can see the Geofences on Google Maps:
Tesla Service Center Geofences

You have to click the little arrow on the left where it says "Service Center Geofences" to see the complete list of the Service Centers / Geofences.
The list is not in alphabetical order, I kept the order the same as in the .json file from Ingineer, but you should be able to use your browsers search function to find a specific Service Cener. Or just zoom in on the map.

If you're in New Jersey, looks like the entire Short Hills mall is geofenced.

Even more interesting is it looks like just the gallery in Montgomery Mall is geofenced.

upload_2016-8-7_12-15-8.png

Sorry if this is an old question already answered, but where does that geofence data come from? It lists Santana Row in San Jose as all of Santana Row which is a relatively large area, not to mention it's not a service center but a retail outlet.

Ingineer postet a .json file with all the information here:
Firmware 7.1

I don't know how exactly he got it, but he also often posts which parts of the car are affected by a certain update, so I guess he rooted his car or something.

All I did was writing a quick and dirty bash script which reads the .json file an writes the information into a .kml file, which I then uploaded to google maps.

I also noticed that some Geofences cover a very large area, while others are barely the size of the service center.

• Informative
Reactions: TaoJones
Went to the West Palm Beach SeC and SuC last night to top off and within 20 minutes I had the update notification. Installed it after I got home. Went from 2.28.19 -> 2.30.33. That makes 6 out of 7 updates I received while charging there.

For the first time I did pay attention, the car did indeed connect to their wireless network, but I only had one bar. I also noticed that you can tell if an update is downloading, even before the notification, by the very poor and laggy performance (even worse than usual lol) of the browser, which I use quite often while charging.

View attachment 188917 Looks like mostly model s and only 1 model x got this firmware... Here's the picture from my model s P90DL refresh just over a month old now. Just realized its offering me towing mode as well lol

That's funny and highly troubling at the same time since who knows what other functions of your car is being managed like an X and not an S. Unless they can assure you it's only things of no consequence (tow, spoiler) and not drive or safety systems, should the car be on the road? I mean it's not like installing the wrong printer drivers on your laptop, it's the operating system.

So does this mean we have to stop making fun of pokemon players going after geofenced virtual animals while we chase after geofenced updates?

Yesterday when walking to the restroom of the Port Orange, Florida Supercharger, four teenagers stopped me and asked if I found any good Pokemón today. I guess they aren't used to someone parking and walking about for no reason.

• Funny
Reactions: Matias
I can confirm with the Geofence update theory,
I got 3 updates with 3 visit to 2 service centers across 3 weeks, never got an update directly on random day. But each time after I pay a visit to the Service plus, after an hour or two I received the update notification.
Definitely gonna do that again when 8.0 drops.

If you're in New Jersey, looks like the entire Short Hills mall is geofenced.

Even more interesting is it looks like just the gallery in Montgomery Mall is geofenced.

View attachment 189069
It makes one wonder what the purpose of geofencing is. I could see if geofences were only around service centers, they would help techs be certain all cars were returned with the latest build when service is complete. However, why around this mall? Why around the King of Prussia Mall in PA, where there is a Tesla store but no Service Center? What purpose could this serve?

It makes one wonder what the purpose of geofencing is. I could see if geofences were only around service centers, they would help techs be certain all cars were returned with the latest build when service is complete. However, why around this mall? Why around the King of Prussia Mall in PA, where there is a Tesla store but no Service Center? What purpose could this serve?
The malls and retail locations may have demo MS that Tesla wants to keep current with the latest and greatest which would make sense to me. Also e.g. at one store location near me you have to walk quite a ways from the store to the garage where the demo units are located. Other locations I've seen pictures of have Superchargers in difference locations from that. I suspect the variations just gives Tesla options -- as to if they are as effective as they could be, and the exact reason why some malls are fully-covered and others are more specific, well, that's their's to say but I suspect it comes down to the human factor -- not something that has overly-thought-out and consistent logic. After all, the list of geofenced locations that was kindly mined and provided to us here, isn't widely distributed for consumer consumption and Tesla hasn't even officially stated this geofencing thing is in place for our use. It's really there for Tesla's benefit I suspect. ;)

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclone and msnow
Observation:

This thread has turned into:

1. Confirmed, driving by service center triggers an update! (I think we all pretty much understand that now, IMHO no more confirmation needed).
2. Service Center Geofencing.

Suggestion:

Take the geofencing stuff to a separate thread, and let's keep this about 7.1 and its 417 different releases. (Did you hear that? I think that was 418!)

Observation:

This thread has turned into:

1. Confirmed, driving by service center triggers an update! (I think we all pretty much understand that now, IMHO no more confirmation needed).
2. Service Center Geofencing.

Suggestion:

Take the geofencing stuff to a separate thread, and let's keep this about 7.1 and its 417 different releases. (Did you hear that? I think that was 418!)

I know who didn't hear it the fool who has a thread about keeping his beloved 7.0 lol