Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, you do not have to connect to Tesla WiFi to trigger the update. You just have to enter one of these Tesla Facilities:
Prior to my fairly recent update, I had been to the Rocklin SC twice to try and trigger an update (I think it was maybe two months since last update). Does it have to connect to the Tesla Service AP? I never saw it in the list of available AP only Tesla Guest. Does it connect automatically or does it require a Tesla person to enter in the password at least once for that to happen?

...there's some unknown aging parameter that prevents one from being sent if you have already had one recently.
Aging will do that, I hear. Good thing I'm still mentally in junior high school.

rCpFHXO.jpg

For the record regarding failed software updates and SvC proximity updates: one can at least sometimes fix that without help:

Details: 10 days ago I installed a spontaneous software update (2.28.60). The following day I got a warning message to contact service regarding a needed software update (forget the exact wording). Ignored it for the trip to Reno for TMC Connect and GF Party. After talking to owner support on Sunday, trying a recommended deep reboot without success and not receiving a promised call from my local service center for 2 days, I just parked at the Sunnyvale service center, set a timer for 10 min and left for home. Right after arriving at home (~15 min) I got a notification about a software update being available. Installed 2.28.75 and it resolved the error message.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: ICUDoc and TaoJones
I'll say it a 3rd time, it has nothing to do with the WiFi connection. It's a Geofence. The car has the coordinates of all the Tesla facilities I listed in my previous posts, and if you get within range of that location, the car sends a message to the mothership and if they decide you are ready for an update, one is created for your car (a patch). This patch is relatively small as it only contains the differences from the new version from your existing version. (Usually well under 100 megs). The patch usually starts downloading within a few minutes, and will download over cellular or WiFi, and if the connection is lost or changed, it will resume where it left off. The download usually only takes a few minutes even on 3G. Once the patch is downloaded it's decoded and verified. This process takes the longest and will usually be evident as the CID will be laggy and slow to respond, as there are significant computing resources needed. Do not reboot your CID if it gets laggy during this process our you risk killing your update.

One the update passes verification, that's when you'll get the notification and Alarm Clock icon.

I do not yet know how the mothership decides when you are eligible for an update, but it's clear to me that it's very rare to keep getting them one after another even if you regularly visit a Tesla facility. There are enough exceptions to keep one guessing. Maybe that's by design.

I would not advise anyone to bother driving to a Tesla facility to get "the latest". Maybe once 8.0 is released and there are major changes, but otherwise you are wasting your time. Most of the stuff released are just small bug fixes. It's very unlikely you'll get any cool new must-have features to make it worth your time. Relax, Enjoy your amazing Tesla!

Yes, you only need enter the geofence momentarily, and as I said, it will not always work if your car isn't "due" for an update.

Attached is the full list of geofence coordinates for those curious.

Interesting...thanks for sharing this!

Is that JSON object bundled as a part of a firmware load or is it updated independently (like the list of Superchargers)?

Any idea what the "type" field is used for? (I see three legal values: "retail", "service", and "facility", and can guess what they mean, but I'm curious as to what would make use of the values.)

Bruce.

Yes, all the JSON files are updated separately of software, just like the SuperCharger list. When you enter one of the Geofences, the car sends an alert to the mothership with the facility ID code, and then when you leave, it sends another. I do not know exactly what the type field is used for.

Got 2.28.42 few weeks ago had a weird experience with this update... My steering wheel control has reversed. Specifically when I pull the steering wheel adjuster to move the wheel towards me it moves away from me, when I push it to move the wheel away it moves towards me. I've got a service center appointment in a few weeks for them to look at it though I'm hoping the car will get another update and resolve the issue... Another weird think I've noticed is my car now offers me spoiler settings like it was a model x...

Got 2.28.42 few weeks ago had a weird experience with this update... My steering wheel control has reversed. Specifically when I pull the steering wheel adjuster to move the wheel towards me it moves away from me, when I push it to move the wheel away it moves towards me. I've got a service center appointment in a few weeks for them to look at it though I'm hoping the car will get another update and resolve the issue... Another weird think I've noticed is my car now offers me spoiler settings like it was a model x...
Have you checked Tesla Tracker to see if that firmware was for an MX?