Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the dissection Ingineer. Anyone noticing anything interesting yet?
I'm still on 2.28.19, but if inspired by your observations, then I may stop waiting and just start hacking instead.
IMHO from reading every single post in this thread since its inception, nothing generally gets confirmed by multiple people "for sure" in any of these more minor dot releases. We don't lack for opinions and supposition, but most of the time don't seem to ever know on these more minor drops for a fact anything beyond what may be in the occasional release notes when Tesla elects to provide something of substance. @Ingineer's dissection of modules is about as close as we seem to get most of the time these days, fueling supposition, hope, and more posts with folks wondering what's really going on. ;)

FWIW, I'm also still on 2.28.19, and am only considering traveling 90 mins round trip to a geofenced location, in hopes that a newer annoyance I've previously documented here and happens on a regular basis since that drop was installed, may go away. I would generally never do it "just because" to get a dot release with no known benefit or change -- but that's just me. I figure when there is something important enough, Tesla will push the update to my MS. Anything between that is just a set of changes that may introduce both good and bad, and likely give me the opportunity to be more of a guinea pig than what happens in larger releases across the fleet. Being first used to turn me on when I was in more control, but no longer most of the time -- especially with my MS that I really desire to just work. To each our own with such decisions! Enjoy!

Reactions: zambono
Since its referenced, I'm hoping they fixed the Dolby....it sounds like a concert in a tin can.
Totally agree. I've mentioned on other threads before, but damn, the salesguy almost made me not order UHFS because he turned on Dolby when demoing the system. I've heard better sound bars at Costco before!

FWIW, 2.28.75 seems to have improved Dolby noticeably. It's not amazing, but it's at least not appallingly bad anymore. I also hope they'll improve it more.

• Funny
Reactions: NikeWings
FWIW, I'm also still on 2.28.19, and am only considering traveling 90 mins round trip to a geofenced location, in hopes that a newer annoyance I've previously documented here and happens on a regular basis since that drop was installed, may go away. I would generally never do it "just because" to get a dot release with no known benefit or change -- but that's just me. To each our own with such decisions! Enjoy!

Oh I was only kidding about the hack job BertL. (the great forum debate has intrigued the heck out of me though) I am about as qualified to hack as I would be to perform brain surgery. And like you, I couldn't care any less about the timeliness of my upgrades, much less chase them despite a few lingering annoyances. Since most here are more technical than I, reading what others are experiencing is interesting.......even if just opinions or imaginations.

FWIW, on my return from San Diego today, I topped up at the LA - Centinela SC which is geofenced with the SvC ~ 3 miles away.
No upgrade message for me.......you might think about saving your 90 min drive. Just confirming your observation @Todd Burch :D

2.30.33 updated the following systems (from 2.28.75):

CID (Center Display)
IC (Instrument Cluster)
Gateway
Battery Management
Charger Main Control
Charger Phases
Charge Port
Drive Inverter(s)
Pedal Monitor
Thermal Control
Sunroof (Pano) Control
Driver Assistance features (NOT Autopilot)
Audio DSP

Like @Ingineer was I am 2.30.33. I stopped by my trusty ServiceCenter for a bit this morning but I did NOT get a software update triggered. My last 4 have been like clock-work after a visit but not today. Interesting seeing that I had the same build and a (newer) car with all the bells and whistles and extras. Not a big deal but throws a kink in my 4 streak run. Lol lol :-/

...FWIW, on my return from San Diego today, I topped up at the LA - Centinela SC which is geofenced with the SvC ~ 3 miles away.
No upgrade message for me.......you might think about saving your 90 min drive. Just confirming your observation @Todd Burch :D
Thx. Agree. I'm just hanging in there listening to a little more FM these days, as the newer problem I've started having since the last update with Media Player rescanning my USB stick even when I didn't reboot the CID, drives me a little crazy since it takes over 10mins to complete the scan of my 6K tracks and I prefer to not drive in silence while that is happening. Sighhh.

@Ingineer are you comparing simple what module's code is changed in one firmware base vs. the other? If so, could some of the "changes" be tweaks in sections of code that are used by Model X exclusively? I get that both cars run the same firmware and have UI switches, but some components may be set a little differently to account for differences in the vehicle. Or are you looking at the differences once your car filters through its settings and loads what it needs from the base firmware (which invalidates the above supposition)?

Does the audio get updated often?

It's pretty rare.

@Ingineer are you comparing simple what module's code is changed in one firmware base vs. the other? If so, could some of the "changes" be tweaks in sections of code that are used by Model X exclusively? I get that both cars run the same firmware and have UI switches, but some components may be set a little differently to account for differences in the vehicle. Or are you looking at the differences once your car filters through its settings and loads what it needs from the base firmware (which invalidates the above supposition)?

There are different modules in the Model X, so for instance, the Falcon wing controller code isn't going to be in a Model S install. Since I don't have an X yet, I don't bother to figure out what's changed. It would be a lot of extra work. Especially now considering how often they are cranking out updates. By far though, the S and X share most of the overall code, it's just the little things that differ.

Does the pedal monitor ALWAYS get updated?
I think I've seen that on almost every update.

The Pedal Monitor's job is mostly for safety, so anytime any of the major systems get updated, it's going to also get updated.