Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok @Cyclone I'm with you...........

We are going to be banned......both from this thread and the SvCs. :) Can you imagine thousands of us spinning around the SvC lots, smiling at the cameras, speaking with South African accents or whatever else it takes to get the latest release? And then bolting here to report our outcomes?

We are boring the experts into silence. Lets please bring our technical wizards back here so we can learn from them, and move our geofencing efforts here: Firmware Updates - so whats your geofencing gig?

Edit: or you can disagree and continue, which is fine. I am just hungry for deeper conversation about our firmware and giving this a shot.

Last edited:
Model S in Canada just got 2.34.100 which is still the latest... that's some good news as we've been behind basically since Summon. Though I must admit I was really hoping for Release 8, at least I can hopefully enjoy the fixed dropping 3G and some new UHFS code.

Thought you all might get a kick out of this. I just had my 2 month old MS in for cosmetic service including a small rattle on the passenger side, front door speaker. The report back listed this solution "Installed foam tape to speaker grill and lowered bass from 10 to 8 to prevent speaker issues".

It's not rattling anymore so that's good... just don't use the features of the car :)
"Doctor, doctor! It hurts when I do this!" "Well, don't do that." ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Cyclone
I may be dreaming, but my perception is that MS has become a bit smarter not repeatedly presenting door handles and retracting them when the FOB passes by and the door is not opened in-between those cycles like it used to.

Example: Working in my garage with the FOB in my pocket, every time I'd pass or come near my MS, the door handles would present then eventually retract -- over-and-over with me never opening a door. It could become annoying, especially when drying my car or tinkering in the garage, so I learned to just hang the FOB out of range.

Today for some reason I kept the FOB in my pocket after pulling my MS into the garage after a wash. I was doing final drip touch-up a couple times around my MS, then put my detailing supplies away on the shelves next to my MS, but I recognized the handles only presented once and not repeatedly during all that time as they used to.​

I just went to 2.34.100 yesterday. Maybe this is as simple as my FOB battery is getting a little older, or as I said, I am just dreaming -- but if Tesla has indeed put some additional logic in place for this sort of situation, I'd declare it a huge boon, and honestly a great example where Tesla could get some positive mileage out of publicizing something like that in Release Notes. I'm sure the 2-3 media blogs would grab the info sooner than later and push it further. Owners would see little changes like this as the sort of continual change many of us have come to expect from Tesla, and non-owners would continue to be WOWed by free OTA improvements keeping our Tesla just that much further ahead of the eventual competition. IMHO not everything needs to be an AP improvement, big 8.0 thing, or a (useless) Easter Egg to get some press, but real tweaks that improve the owner experience ARE news and something I and likely most other Owners would be thankful for as well.
Funny: while, on one hand, I've certainly observed (and been minorly annoyed by) the present-retract-present-retract behavior, on
the other hand just yesterday I was annoyed when it didn't present the handles when I was standing right at the door with the fob in my
pocket. I had to -- God forbid, send the paramedics! -- reach out and touch the handle to make it extend. Afterwards I had to sit in the
next-gen leather seat, listening to the UHFS and letting the A/C blow on me for a minute to recover ;)

Pretty happy with 2.34.100 so far. It's only been 2 days, but I've noticed that the car hasn't been playing tracks continuously from my USB stick when I'm away. (The 'recents' list used to fill up with all the songs that it would play overnight, or while I was parked at work.)

Also, the Dolby Surround sound improvement is noticeable. At first I couldn't hear any difference; it sounded exactly the same as before the update, but then realized I had turned Dolby off a while ago because music had sounded less muted with it off. Now, I can say the opposite is true: it sounds much better with Dolby on. The equalizer settings sound best to me at around +3 or +4.

Disagree. There are a lot of reports where they "didn't" get any update (I'm still on .19, since mid-July, and have a 70D, the same model and options that others reported getting updated). I've tried three times driving to the SvC, rolling slowly through the parking lot and nothing. Down the block at the Sales and Delivery Center in Costa Mesa, I spend an hour at the Sunday Social last week, parked against the building. Nada.

So I think that there is indeed merit in trying to decode this whole "geofencing" thing. I agree it's more than placebo, but it's certainly far less than 100% effective, even on repeated attempts.

Dude, I agree with Cyclone. There are too many posts on Geofence working or not working. If all of the people that think Geofence posts are important, please start another thread on Geofencing. This thread is for changes in 7.1, not if you got the latest release or not.

Pretty happy with 2.34.100 so far. It's only been 2 days, but I've noticed that the car hasn't been playing tracks continuously from my USB stick when I'm away. (The 'recents' list used to fill up with all the songs that it would play overnight, or while I was parked at work.)
Guess I should have lived on 2.34.100 a few more days before posting. When I checked this morning, it had been playing songs all night again. So that bug isn't fixed after all.

Guess I should have lived on 2.34.100 a few more days before posting. When I checked this morning, it had been playing songs all night again. So that bug isn't fixed after all.
Yup. Having recently gone from .19 to .34.100, the only real difference I've found is perhaps the Dolby and/or equalization. My jury is still out as to how significant or not that is to my ears -- a highly subjective area of discussion for sure. Have not found any sensor improvements beyond what I reported long ago on .19 up-thread, and have not had a chance to give AP a try on my "baseline" runs to see if anything changed (which I doubt). All-in-all thus far, it was fun trying to help myself (and maybe the community) what was going on with geofencing, but I understand why Tesla has not considered any of these interim dot releases important enough for mass distribution. ;)

Last edited:
Yup. Having recently gone from .19 to .34.100, the only real difference I've found is perhaps the Dolby and/or equalization. My jury is still out as to how significant or not that is to my ears -- a highly subjective area of discussion for sure. Have not found any sensor improvements beyond what I reported long ago on .19 up-thread, and have not had a chance to give AP a try on my "baseline" runs to see if anything changed (which I doubt). All-in-all thus far, fun trying to help myself (and maybe the community) what was going on with geofencing, but I understand why Tesla has not considered any of thes interim dot realizes important enough for mass distribution. ;)
How about the range algorithm?

Yup. Having recently gone from .19 to .34.100, the only real difference I've found is perhaps the Dolby and/or equalization. My jury is still out as to how significant or not that is to my ears -- a highly subjective area of discussion for sure. Have not found any sensor improvements beyond what I reported long ago on .19 up-thread, and have not had a chance to give AP a try on my "baseline" runs to see if anything changed (which I doubt). All-in-all thus far, fun trying to help myself (and maybe the community) what was going on with geofencing, but I understand why Tesla has not considered any of thes interim dot realizes important enough for mass distribution. ;)

Or maybe they are just testing out various geos for the real stuff to come? ;)
My ears aren't as well tuned as yours Bert, but I've been quite vocal with my tin can comments. After picking up my car today from its 3 day stay at the Tesla Service Resort including free meals and a 34.100 massage, I can no longer call Dolby a tin can. Not tooooo bad.

• Funny
Reactions: msnow and chillaban