Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having now driven on 2.32.100 for 2 days (not the latest 2.34.100), I noticed a number of changes from 2.28.19:

- 3G reception is still sometimes broken, e.g., when my car switches from WiFi to 3G cellular I'm still forced to reboot the CID to get a signal back. 3G was working perfectly under 2.28.19.
- A new bug is that when playing music (from USB memory stick), I was no longer able to use the steering wheel controls to skip tracks forward or back, and the time displayed for the track was frozen. Rebooting the CID fixed this. (It only happened once.)
- Autopilot is improved in its ability to follow sharper curves. The car now tracks curved highway entrance ramps much better. And it no longer swerves much to the left or right when cresting a hill on a 2-lane road. Overall, however Autopilot appears to be more "nervous" and less smooth than before.

I'll have to see if I can get 2.34.100 for improvements to the 3G and music issues.

I am on 2.32.23 (installed on 8/15/2016 on my car) and have noticed a few oddities with the Audio system.

All are fixed if I do a roboot of the CID (both wheels down and break pedal press until Tesla Logo shows on CID).

1) At times, the Audio system will very very quickly keep repeating the same note being played perhaps 5 to 7 times per second and keep repeating until I use the skip track toggle on the steering wheel. This is a "tell" to reboot and I can, after a reboot, go many many days without this occurring again.
2) Like 1 above this has occurred twice when under near full acceleration, somehow this can cause the current track to do one above but not at all repeatable, and only when playing music from the USB stick.
3) The LTE will not grab the next audio track from Slacker, spin a while, and say it could not get the next track. Usually in a one bar area.
however the maps keep updating fine

The BASS response has been getting better in the UHFS system over the last few firmware drops. YAY

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: msnow
I am on 2.32.23 (installed on 8/15/2016 on my car) and have noticed a few oddities with the Audio system.

All are fixed if I do a roboot of the CID (both wheels down and break pedal press until Tesla Logo shows on CID).

1) At times, the Audio system will very very quickly keep repeating the same note being played perhaps 5 to 7 times per second and keep repeating until I use the skip track toggle on the steering wheel. This is a "tell" to reboot and I can, after a reboot, go many many days without this occurring again.
2) Like 1 above this has occurred twice when under near full acceleration, somehow this can cause the current track to do one above but not at all repeatable, and only when playing music from the USB stick.
3) The LTE will not grab the next audio track from Slacker, spin a while, and say it could not get the next track. Usually in a one bar area.

The BASS response has been getting better in the UHFS system over the last few firmware drops. YAY
1+2) Yes. Many of us refer to this as "stuttering" (search will find those many threads/posts). Not a new bug and has existed IIRC since somewhere around 6.2 before my time with MS. I've had the problem since delivery. It's acknowledged by Tesla as something to be resolved "in a future firmware release".
Check other threads for loads of detail. Net is: Reducing memory usage seems to reduce frequency of the problem, and reboots clear it up for some period of time (dependent upon the former), but the problem will eventually come back for owners with any substantive number of tracks on their USB device and as Gracenotes art is cached. Try reducing the number of tunes on your USB Stick (I have 6K and can live with frequency of the problem) and clearing old Nav Places out one-by-one, then do a full CID reboot (both scroll wheels while your foot is on brake, and release all 3 only when you see the Tesla T.)​

• Informative
Reactions: Duma and msnow
BertL:
Yes STUTTERING is a PERFECT description of the symptom. Thank You.
I have about 370+ FLACs and MP3's on my road tripping USB.
I would suspect that TESLA has a memory leak in some of its codes. If that is what you are pointing to as a cause.
I have recently removed some of the old destinations and odd voice command entered destinations from my NAV PLACES.
Thanks for that reminder.

Some day, perhaps they will eliminate the STUTTERING but it has not become very problematic or intolerable.
Glad I am not alone.... (did I really type that? ;-)

I may be dreaming, but my perception is that MS has become a bit smarter not repeatedly presenting door handles and retracting them when the FOB passes by and the door is not opened in-between those cycles like it used to.

Example: Working in my garage with the FOB in my pocket, every time I'd pass or come near my MS, the door handles would present then eventually retract -- over-and-over with me never opening a door. It could become annoying, especially when drying my car or tinkering in the garage, so I learned to just hang the FOB out of range.

Today for some reason I kept the FOB in my pocket after pulling my MS into the garage after a wash. I was doing final drip touch-up a couple times around my MS, then put my detailing supplies away on the shelves next to my MS, but I recognized the handles only presented once and not repeatedly during all that time as they used to.​

I just went to 2.34.100 yesterday. Maybe this is as simple as my FOB battery is getting a little older, or as I said, I am just dreaming -- but if Tesla has indeed put some additional logic in place for this sort of situation, I'd declare it a huge boon, and honestly a great example where Tesla could get some positive mileage out of publicizing something like that in Release Notes. I'm sure the 2-3 media blogs would grab the info sooner than later and push it further. Owners would see little changes like this as the sort of continual change many of us have come to expect from Tesla, and non-owners would continue to be WOWed by free OTA improvements keeping our Tesla just that much further ahead of the eventual competition. IMHO not everything needs to be an AP improvement, big 8.0 thing, or a (useless) Easter Egg to get some press, but real tweaks that improve the owner experience ARE news and something I and likely most other Owners would be thankful for as well.

BertL:
Yes STUTTERING is a PERFECT description of the symptom. Thank You.
I have about 370+ FLACs and MP3's on my road tripping USB.
I would suspect that TESLA has a memory leak in some of its codes. If that is what you are pointing to as a cause.
I have recently removed some of the old destinations and odd voice command entered destinations from my NAV PLACES.
Thanks for that reminder.

Some day, perhaps they will eliminate the STUTTERING but it has not become very problematic or intolerable.
Glad I am not alone.... (did I really type that? ;-)
Yes, likely a combination of memory leaks AND not enforcing a maximum numbers of owner-controllable "things" that use memory -- i.e. poor design that needs to be tightened-up. E.g. There does not seem to be an upper end, or at least a reasonable number of old Nav Places that are retained -- at least one Owner stated he had hundreds that he had to manually delete one-by-one; and Tesla unlike every other mfgr I know does not specify max tracks, depth of file structure, etc on USB devices. I've had more than 16K tracks and MS accepted it, albeit my stuttering, CID slow-downs and lock-ups were more frequent. All of that takes memory somewhere, and if combined with any memory leak issues, well, it matches the symptoms of slow-down, erratic behavior, and why reboots at least temporarily help as well.

Substitute LTE with 3G and I've experienced both of these multiple times over multiple v7.1 firmware releases.

I always take your advice, but in this case, if true, then there remains a very mysterious reason as I reported upthread as to why I did not receive an update with both of my 3-5 min drive-thru's of two different geo-fenced locations on separate days several days ago (that have reported automatic update notifications from other owners here).

My apologies if this has been covered already... Nothing specifically to do with the geo fence issue, but a while back everyone was getting updates and I wasn't. Turned out, it was my 12V battery. On someones recommendation, I called Tesla, and had them check, and remotely they confirmed my car was blacklisted from updates due to a low 12V battery (no alerts in the car). Once I had that replaced, I got updates again without issue, so perhaps take the 5 minutes to call them and just ensure that is/isn't an issue for you.

Took a step back in release time today when I was given a P85D loaner while dropping off my S90D. First thing I did was check the release - 2.28.75. Only a few back road miles to the office, so I haven't done much yet but most significant were the lack of sensor signals and road noise (non release issue). Not a peep or beep, including pulling into my super tight parking spot. Usually my dash lights up and sounds like a circus with both nose and sides radiating warnings. Nothing, absolutely nothing. Amazing how reliant we become.....I damn near kissed the wall. Makes me concerned about using AP on the way home.

Edit: might as well add that within 5 minutes of driving away the loaner, my app pinged that a new release was available for my car. Maybe I'll honk the horn and flash the lights to thank them. LOL

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: msnow
With apologies to @Cyclone for talking about geofencing, just want to add another data point.

I tried twice earlier this month to activate an update from 2.28.19 by crossing geofences at Sunnyvale and Stanford, roughly 10 days apart. Those attempts did not work.

After reading the recent posts from @BertL and @rxlawdude, I decided to drop by the Sunnyvale SC again on my way home tonight. Didn't linger; just pulled into the lot, turned around, and pulled back out.

About 45 minutes later, I got the update notification on my phone. (Edit: 2.34.100.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclone and msnow
I've been trying every day now for 6 days, no luck. Been just crossing the geofence each time. Except today where I thought I would park at the Sunnyvale SC's HPWC and make a quick errand run at Best Buy next door, and came back and found myself boxed in by a tow truck unloading a damaged Model S :D

I felt like this was karma for using their free electricity so I politely told the tow truck driver to take his time unloading the car, and I'll just wait in the car...

Hmmmmm very interesting that there are 3 current firmware revisions being pushed out simultaneously. I was the first to report (enter) 2.32.65 and after 3 drive thru / super charger / say hi to the staff (all within the geo-fence but did not get either .100 pushed to my car). Meanwhile .65's are still popping up daily. Wonder if Tesla is trying out 3 variants of something right now before 8 hits gold first release.

I got 2.32.100 and did not drive anywhere near a service center, probably because of the close-on-one-click keyfob fix. I’ve noticed it takes much less effort to dismiss the alert to hold the wheel (mind you I am usually holding it when this appears, just not giving any resistance).

I got 2.32.100 and did not drive anywhere near a service center, probably because of the close-on-one-click keyfob fix. I’ve noticed it takes much less effort to dismiss the alert to hold the wheel (mind you I am usually holding it when this appears, just not giving any resistance).
"close-on-one-click keyfob fix"? Perhaps it's a MX specific thing? (This is a MS thread in the MS forum, hence perhaps part of my confusion and maybe why you got an OTA update other MS-owners have not?)

Last edited:
Hmmmmm very interesting that there are 3 current firmware revisions being pushed out simultaneously. I was the first to report (enter) 2.32.65 and after 3 drive thru / super charger / say hi to the staff (all within the geo-fence but did not get either .100 pushed to my car). Meanwhile .65's are still popping up daily. Wonder if Tesla is trying out 3 variants of something right now before 8 hits gold first release.
I suspect it is probably more a case of quite large downloads arriving in fragments due to varying reception, but once a car has been targetted it goes on to complete that download. Another car in the meantime might be targetted later with a newer build and get it quite quickly if reception is good.