Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed that after pulling the car out of the garage with summons that the auto present handles do not open, I have to use the fob to open the door

I ran my car back and forth about eight times. Out of those, the handles auto-presented once. On some of the other runs, pressing on the handle opened it, on some it didn't. Weird. I filed a bug report (using the in-car voice bug reporting).

I ran my car back and forth about eight times. Out of those, the handles auto-presented once. On some of the other runs, pressing on the handle opened it, on some it didn't. Weird. I filed a bug report (using the in-car voice bug reporting).

Yes, I believe the top middle fob button is causing this when you initiate summon. I have it too.

I can add my experience with 7.1, if anyone is still reading this huge thread.

autopilot - There is more frequent nags to hold the wheel. It's a minor annoyance. All you have to do is touch the wheel and it goes away. There is much less, but not zero, dive to the right when you pass freeway exits. I haven't found any inconsistencies with AP-limited roads. Reading of speed signs continues to be near-perfect for me. I also found the AP-limited roads to be no big deal as it's not common I want to speed on those while using AP...so 5 over is OK. I can live with it. Thanks ***holes for posting idiotic videos making this necessary.

auto homelink - works great

auto perpendicular parking - works well, but I can do as well myself.

Summoning - entertaining but ultimately totally useless for me, with a normal garage and access to my home from my garage. May lead to bigger and better things that I will find useful. As it is will never use it.

windshield wiper performance - noticeably less horrible than before. Actually seems somewhat responsive to how much it's raining unlike before when it seemed more intent on tormenting me with crazy erratic speeds

Last edited:
Summoning - entertaining but ultimately totally useless for me, with a normal garage and access to my home from my garage. May lead to bigger and better things that I will find useful. As it is will never use it.
I agree, I'll probably never use this to pull out of my own garage, however I think it will be very useful when someone parks very close to my car in a parking lot. Instead of trying to squeeze into the drive side door or climb in from the passenger side, I can just have the Tesla back out of the spot.

I agree, I'll probably never use this to pull out of my own garage, however I think it will be very useful when someone parks very close to my car in a parking lot. Instead of trying to squeeze into the drive side door or climb in from the passenger side, I can just have the Tesla back out of the spot.
I used it today for exactly that! And to move it out of the garage to get to something in the corner yesterday. More useful so far in just two days than I ever imagined.

I suspect the problem with recognizing 120 km/h sign is that the numbers are too close together to fit the standard North American sign width. The number 2 in the middle takes more real estate than the number 1 in a 110 km/h sign.
But exactly the same realestate at the 0 in 100 so I don't buy that for a second. I can pretty much guarantee it's failing a sanity check somewhere in the code that tells it 120kph isn't a valid speed limit.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure that's an obvious conclusion by any means; it's a projection of your frustration because they haven't acknowledged your reports.

I think Tesla is not unlike many technology companies with a large user base, where bug reports can frequently come in faster than engineering can deal with them. If your issue isn't fixed right away, it's probably because they've had to triage higher-priority problems, or this is actually harder/riskier to fix than it appears and they don't have a solution yet. No inside knowledge of Tesla here, just an educated guess based on having to make similar hard choices with limited time and resources.
I agree. but that's also why I don't think submitting more bug reports is likely to solve all our problems, and why I won't take a feature that is likely crippled by bugs when I don't think they are likely to do anything about fixing said bugs.
On a side note, I have also never heard of anyone else getting a similar issue resolved. So I'm not holding my breath, or my update.

- - - Updated - - -

Not directed at you specifically, but I don't see why a for-profit fledgling company like Tesla should take cash from their bottom line to pay outside companies for additional free services
You're looking at it all wrong. The outside company should be paying Tesla to make the vehicle capable of using the service, and Tesla has no obligation to provide a free account.
If they've gone to all the work of programming the app for all those services, why not have them in the list on all cars? You don't have to provide an account, leave that up to the owner if they want to use that service. There's zero downside to Tesla if they've already built the app.

- - - Updated - - -

My experience is different. I very seldom have errors here in Alberta (the Coquihalla in BC is a noted exception) and particularly on the unrestricted type roads listed by green1 I have no issues reading signs unless a sign is actually obscured by traffic. Most anomalies I see are in residential areas. I wonder if green1 should have his camera checked.
To clarify, when you are driving around town on a normal day, and you pass speed limit signs, they almost always get displayed immediately on your dash? for all speeds? If that truly is the case, I'll ask Tesla to check my camera, the reason I've dismissed it as a camera issue are 2 fold:
1) Lane marking recognition using the same camera is EXCELLENT, it's as good as my own eyes at seeing the lines (sometimes better) (note, I can still do a better job of inferring where they should be when obscured)
2) When I was briefly in the US 2 months ago it read 100% of speed limit signs accurately, but in Canada it's always been less than 50%, My assumption has been that it's something to do with our signs looking a little different (ie: ours read "maximum" and a number instead of "speed limit" and a number)

...You're looking at it all wrong. The outside company should be paying Tesla to make the vehicle capable of using the service, and Tesla has no obligation to provide a free account.
If they've gone to all the work of programming the app for all those services, why not have them in the list on all cars? You don't have to provide an account, leave that up to the owner if they want to use that service. There's zero downside to Tesla if they've already built the app.

What we do not know is what the contract is Tesla has with Slacker and inTune... If there are exclusivity clauses of some sort, for some period of time, all bets are off, and that would be a VERY good reason why Tesla isn't offering other native app streaming services here in NA... Remember, Tesla negotiated some of this when they had not yet delivered a single car, so I suspect they were more accommodating then, than perhaps they would be today, trying to provide streaming music services to fill out their initial portfolio of capabilities to wow the press and public.

I negotiated and was in the middle of major contract negotiations between big companies for years, and if I had something the other wanted, but they couldn't offer me enough benefit to equal that out from my POV, and I didn't see as much benefit within my own business model somehow getting in bed with them myself, well, I'd ask for a little more from them (like perhaps exclusivity for some period of time)... I suspect you or others may follow my train of thought, right or wrong as it may be. I won't debate the point further as its all supposition on all our parts, and everyone has their own opinions.

What we do not know is what the contract is Tesla has with Slacker and inTune... If there are exclusivity clauses of some sort, for some period of time, all bets are off, and that would be a VERY good reason why Tesla isn't offering other native app streaming services here in NA...

That's an excellent point. And a point that is supported, at least to some extent, by something wk057 posted about in his hacking thread.

He was able to activate Spotify, but to do so he had to deactivate Slacker. That could certainly be consistent with Tesla having entered into some sort of exclusivity agreements.

As I guess most people have heard by now, a new build is on the loose (2.9.172). It seems to be rolled out less aggressively than the first 7.1 build (2.9.154), but has already reached 48 reports (and 7.1 has hit an all time high of 342 reports - my deepest appreciation to all the people on the forum who help us with the data collection).
At first there was speculation that maybe .172 was only targeting 70s, but that myth has been busted (hi Jamie and Adam). While we haven't seen any reports from 40s and 60s, yet, we definitely have seen a number of 85s and 90s that were updated.

Still no 7.1 for the Model X (but another, day, another 7.0 build for them).

As I guess most people have heard by now, a new build is on the loose (2.9.172). It seems to be rolled out less aggressively than the first 7.1 build (2.9.154), but has already reached 48 reports (and 7.1 has hit an all time high of 342 reports - my deepest appreciation to all the people on the forum who help us with the data collection).
At first there was speculation that maybe .172 was only targeting 70s, but that myth has been busted (hi Jamie and Adam). While we haven't seen any reports from 40s and 60s, yet, we definitely have seen a number of 85s and 90s that were updated.

I just checked the tracker for cars with multiple updates of 7.1 versions.

There are only three cars that aren't 70s that had .154 and now have .172, and all three of them received .172 at SCs. (I then checked the full data extract to see that.)

My point is that to me it appears .172 probably just replaced .154 as the current version being pushed, as no cars with .154 (except for 70s) have received .172 OTA.

I just checked the tracker for cars with multiple updates of 7.1 versions.

There are only three cars that aren't 70s that had .154 and now have .172, and all three of them received .172 at SCs. (I then checked the full data extract to see that.)

My point is that to me it appears .172 probably just replaced .154 as the current version being pushed, as no cars with .154 (except for 70s) have received .172 OTA.
Great analysis! Thanks for picking up on that detail. Makes sense.

Still no 7.1 for the Model X (but another, day, another 7.0 build for them).
Any in CA yet?

Any in CA yet?

I'm not sure .172 will go to any non-70 that already has .154 on it. So someone who hasn't received the .154 update OTA will likely get .172 (as it's the current version pushed), but someone who already has .154 will likely not get .172 unless at the SC.

I could easily be wrong since there is no indication anywhere officially about what changed.

Any in CA yet?
In CA and I upgraded my software today but didn't notice which 7.1 it is ... I'll double check tomorrow.

My first observations are that the trip planner still routes me past my destination for a 5 minute supercharger stop. I had 2 collision warnings on the way home (set at early notification) in stop and go traffic (update was supposed to fix that, in one trip I think it's worse). Automatic home link worked great on opening my garage door, I see if it closes tomorrow.