Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Marc, thanks for the videos and it confirms what is printed in the documentation. No timed nag at all.

I was reading the newly updated 7.1 North America Owners Manual and under the Autosteer section, it states clearly when the "Hold Steering Wheel" will occur:

"When entering a curve or driving at a highspeed, if Autosteer does not detect yourhands on the steering wheel, it displays thefollowing message on the instrument paneland eventually sounds a chime:"

There is of course the question of what defines a curve or what defines high speed and I think that's what Marc is trying to determine with his videos and our observations. If Marc were to reduce his speed to the speed limit and take those same curves would he have to hold the steering wheel? Perhaps there is a timed nag if you exceed the speed limit by more than some threshold, or perhaps it's a fixed value of 80 or 90mph. My experience has been that when driving the speed limit (or within 5%) I don't get the nags unless there is a curve approaching.

I think Tesla has done a great job thinking this through. Good news is that for all you Nebraska owners, you'll never have to touch the wheel. :)

I was in a traffic jam today on the highway with AP turned on. When it started to clear up, the AP for some reason thought the road was restricted to only 50kph while it was restricted to 100kph. It wouldn't go faster than 50kph so I had to stop the AP.

This was my first day driving with 7.1. I'm not happy about this.

- - - Updated - - -

Sigh, I'm really not liking the restriction.

On my regular commute, it's a 2-lane state highway (rural areas) with 75mph speed limit. I usually set cruise/AP on 79 and it handles it like a champ because the road was recently repaved with bright new stripes. However, it two areas it mysteriously thinks the speed limit drops to 70. It's the exact same spot, and there are no signs around. So it must be some type of GPS database that is out of date. So driving happily along all of the sudden I get the error message "This road is restricted, speed limited." Obviously I just cancel AP, and resume cruise control for about 5-7 miles until we pass another 75mph speed limit sign....not a huge deal but still an annoyance (and one that wasn't there before 7.1). :mad:

Fully agree, this new restriction sucks!

I was in a traffic jam today on the highway with AP turned on. When it started to clear up, the AP for some reason thought the road was restricted to only 50kph while it was restricted to 100kph. It wouldn't go faster than 50kph so I had to stop the AP.

- - - Updated - - -

Fully agree, this new restriction sucks!
According to other posters here, you should contact Tesla and demand to know what their plan is to fix locations mis-identified. Please do.

Meanwhile I'll wait until they actually fix it before going to 7.1

Finally got the notification last night. I was on 2.9.40 and got upgraded to 2.9.173. Summon mode works well in my garage, with a lip and with a slope.
How steep is your driveway? I have a slight slope and summon will not work unless I have about a foot of the car in the garage.
Anyone know how it senses the slope. I even tried lowering and raising car suspension, still no luck.

How steep is your driveway? I have a slight slope and summon will not work unless I have about a foot of the car in the garage.
Anyone know how it senses the slope. I even tried lowering and raising car suspension, still no luck.

it is sloped but it evens out about 2 feet before the garage starts. My issue was with the lip, the front wheels went in well, and then when the rear wheels approached the lip the car stopped for like 7 seconds and then voila went back in again. I was worried on exiting the garage, as the car exited, it was rolling down the slope and then it applied the brake, for a second I thought the car would not be able to hold and roll off the hill. but it went well. I only tried it once as I got the update last night and had to go to work. Summon is an entertainment feature and a lot of fun to watch.

It would be great if they also allowed a hotspot mode. Tesla's connectivity is often better than my tablet's or phone's.
Agreed, but when it goes down it goes down hard. I've either had a good stroke of luck or the recent updates have made my 3G even more reliable.

If they end up charging us I would very much want hotspot and I'd understand if it was an added cost option. Hopefully no data-based scheme though, this is the 21st century and we actually expect to use these things (reasonably, of course, as with local Supercharging).

In fact, if it's recurring services revenue they want, AND continued happy customers, then maybe leave the connection free for life but add hotspot as a monthly service.

The nag does not bother me at all. I just keep my left hand on the wheel while resting my left arm on my left leg. I keep my left leg leaning against the door and pulled a little closer to me. It's really very relaxing. Worked for 1,200 miles this week. If I have to do something that takes two hands, I just give the steering wheel a jiggle and then do the quick task.

Has anyone else noticed that lane keeping gives up with a loud scream if you go over 90 mph? There are lots of roads with 75 mph speed limits and some parts of I-15 in Utah have a speed limit of 80 mph.

I made some other, detailed comments on another thread: 1200 miles on 7.1 — Grade: C - Page 4

I think I discovered something very interesting!

I'll post a video shortly explaining what I found, but in the meantime here's a photo that might give you a clue.

HINT: I had neither hands (or knees) on the wheel, NOR feet on pedals :biggrin:

image.jpeg

I woke up this morning and excitedly went to check my car which had the update scheduled to occur overnight. Neither computer screen lit up and I had a notification on my phone saying the update had failed. It did respond to the fob. Called Tesla who said the car had "shutdown" and is arranging a tow. I'm sure they will get it fixed, but disappointing to not be able to play with the new features.
Got my car back this morning. The service advisor said the problem was a bad connection in the HV battery pack. I got the impression that checks done by the new 7.1 firmware found the problem and shut the car down. All is well now and I am having fun trying the cool new features.

All you need to do is put your foot on the pedal and accelerate until the car passes and identifies the next speed limit sign--autosteer will stay engaged.

The HINT above mentioned the important piece :wink:

Ok enough torture, here's the video:

Very nice, but I think that Tesla would consider this work around a "bug," and you just gave them the info on how to recreate the "bug" so that they can go fix it in a future version...

I could be mistaken, and by the time you read this I expect you will have tested it more, and you'll have a definitive answer. But based on your video, it looks to me as if the system just isn't aggressive in getting the car slowed back to the imposed limit if you have exceeded the limit with the accelerator. I could be mistaken--there wasn't a lot of time to really tell from that one video--but my impression is that when the limit was 55 if the truck in front of you had been going 65 and you had accelerated to 65 and removed your foot from the accelerator, you would not have kept going 65 for any significant length of time. True, you do not slow down to 60 as quickly as you slow when the speed limit decreases, but if I'm correct, you would slow--it would just be more gradual.

I could be mistaken, and by the time you read this I expect you will have tested it more, and you'll have a definitive answer. But based on your video, it looks to me as if the system just isn't aggressive in getting the car slowed back to the imposed limit if you have exceeded the limit with the accelerator. I could be mistaken--there wasn't a lot of time to really tell from that one video--but my impression is that when the limit was 55 if the truck in front of you had been going 65 and you had accelerated to 65 and removed your foot from the accelerator, you would not have kept going 65 for any significant length of time. True, you do not slow down to 60 as quickly as you slow when the speed limit decreases, but if I'm correct, you would slow--it would just be more gradual.

You're right, I didn't get enough testing. The truck wasn't going significantly faster than 60 for too long, but my car did follow it for a while at 61/62 (not captured on video).

It's pretty tricky to get the "bug" to allow this following-another-car-at-higher-than-5mph-over-speed-limit trick. I've arrived in Mammoth now and won't be on a highway for another 3 days, so I won't be able to test it until my drive back to SF on Monday.

Last edited:
Sigh, I'm really not liking the restriction.

On my regular commute, it's a 2-lane state highway (rural areas) with 75mph speed limit. I usually set cruise/AP on 79 and it handles it like a champ because the road was recently repaved with bright new stripes. However, it two areas it mysteriously thinks the speed limit drops to 70. It's the exact same spot, and there are no signs around. So it must be some type of GPS database that is out of date. So driving happily along all of the sudden I get the error message "This road is restricted, speed limited." Obviously I just cancel AP, and resume cruise control for about 5-7 miles until we pass another 75mph speed limit sign....not a huge deal but still an annoyance (and one that wasn't there before 7.1). :mad:

I get these sort of database speed limits all the time, all over the place, they are the primary reason I'm not updating. Other posters here say you should notify Tesla and insist they fix that error, and ask what process they have in place to fix it as it now adversely affects your day to day use.

Yes, I really do think all of us reporting these issues, and asking Tesla what mechanism they have in place to correct them is how this is going to get better.

Tesla implemented a system that I think most of us agree is reasonable --IF IT CORRECTLY IDENTIFIES ROADS AND SPEED LIMITS--. And I think most of us are reasonable enough to understand that the cars may not do that perfectly every time right now, since there are limitations to the technology. But it is incumbent upon Tesla, since they came up with this system, to also have a system in place to accept corrections, so that when errors are identified they can quickly be corrected.