Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just checked the tracker for cars with multiple updates of 7.1 versions.

There are only three cars that aren't 70s that had .154 and now have .172, and all three of them received .172 at SCs. (I then checked the full data extract to see that.)

My point is that to me it appears .172 probably just replaced .154 as the current version being pushed, as no cars with .154 (except for 70s) have received .172 OTA.
I've had my P85D which had been updated with .154 over the air in the shop the last three days for the ludicrous upgrade. It's ready to pick up today, and they emailed the invoice. It shows they upgraded it to .172. I will update the tracker after I pick up the car and verify this.

Just wondering if CA got a different version initially, even if numbered the same (we know their numbering makes no sense, e.g. 2.9.68 is before 2.9.154?), since ours were so late coming.

It would be foolish even by Tesla software standards to have a truly different version with the same build number. And since they have no problems reving the build number when making changes (look at the number of different builds all named "7.0" at Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App), I don't think that's a likely assumption.

PS: yes, I know of course that different cars get different builds, based on HW installed. I meant this more in as "I don't think there is a different version of .154 that was sent to California"

At first there was speculation that maybe .172 was only targeting 70s, but that myth has been busted (hi Jamie and Adam).

Mythbusters fan, are we? :biggrin:
Adam lives in my neighborhood and I see him at the local Peruvian restaurant once in a while. I love these guys!

Think they'd be interested in busting myths on Tesla? Say, "can the Model S & X cars really drive themselves?" See how long they go without touching the wheel before crashing :scared:

Sigh, I'm really not liking the restriction.

On my regular commute, it's a 2-lane state highway (rural areas) with 75mph speed limit. I usually set cruise/AP on 79 and it handles it like a champ because the road was recently repaved with bright new stripes. However, it two areas it mysteriously thinks the speed limit drops to 70. It's the exact same spot, and there are no signs around. So it must be some type of GPS database that is out of date. So driving happily along all of the sudden I get the error message "This road is restricted, speed limited." Obviously I just cancel AP, and resume cruise control for about 5-7 miles until we pass another 75mph speed limit sign....not a huge deal but still an annoyance (and one that wasn't there before 7.1). :mad:

Concerning the misreading of speed limit signs, I can see a case for states or the DOT to add QR code signs, or similar, to existing signs in the future. Autonomous cars and trucks are coming, and the Federal government just announced putting over $4B towards the effort. I see autonomous and semi-autonomous cars and trucks looking for the code for not only speed, but curve signs (including direction and radius so the car knows how sharp the curve is), school speed limit signs (and recognizing the times they are in effect), stop signs, etc. You can put a lot of information in a QR code that autonomous and semi-autonomous vehicles can use. They can even be made dynamic if needed, although those will be more expensive. The vehicles will still be able to read existing signs, but if it sees a QR code sign also, it will give that priority. Use your imagination as to what kind of information your Tesla could make use of.

school speed limit with qr code.jpg

speed limit sign.jpg

(go ahead and scan them if you can)

Last edited:
Sigh, I'm really not liking the restriction.

On my regular commute, it's a 2-lane state highway (rural areas) with 75mph speed limit. I usually set cruise/AP on 79 and it handles it like a champ because the road was recently repaved with bright new stripes. However, it two areas it mysteriously thinks the speed limit drops to 70. It's the exact same spot, and there are no signs around. So it must be some type of GPS database that is out of date. So driving happily along all of the sudden I get the error message "This road is restricted, speed limited." Obviously I just cancel AP, and resume cruise control for about 5-7 miles until we pass another 75mph speed limit sign....not a huge deal but still an annoyance (and one that wasn't there before 7.1). :mad:
I get these sort of database speed limits all the time, all over the place, they are the primary reason I'm not updating. Other posters here say you should notify Tesla and insist they fix that error, and ask what process they have in place to fix it as it now adversely affects your day to day use.

Two things I haven't seen mentioned –

- I have Collision Avoidance Assistance set to its maximum "distant early warning" level. Previously it had never alerted me until the last possible instant. Now it seems to do a much better job of flagging potential items of concern early, without freaking out. Nice job of highlighting the stopped car on the video game screen, too.
- With 2.7.56 I found that using Autosteer at slow-ish speeds (35 mph, say) could produce a nasty driveline vibration when going straight. The speculation was that this was high-frequency hunting. I had one particular street that would always do it. I just tried that street again with 2.9.154 and the vibration is gone. Yay.

I just took a 5-min video of my testing the "nag" to hold the steering wheel on a flat and straight stretch of road.

Punch line is toward the end of the video! (and written below it, at the end of this post, if you don't feel like watching the whole thing) :biggrin:

My conclusion is as follows:

I personally haven't experienced a timed nag, at least on the roads I've driven and in the weather conditions experienced.
There's lot more testing to be done of course, but that's at least my hunch for now.
The conditions I believe prompt a nag are mostly related to curves in the road (and of course, poor lane markings).

Last edited by a moderator:
<snip>

I personally haven't experienced a timed nag.
The conditions I believe prompt a nag are mostly related to curves in the road (and of course, poor lane markings).
This is what I believe as well.

I have also tried to engage Autosteer on many undivided roads and very few seem to be restricted. I'm not complaining about those but I did enter a bug report about the one that is divided by a concrete barrier that gives me the restricted warning.

Oh, and I can't remember where it was posted, but someone thought it was now impossible to move the car from D to N while moving. It is still possible.

I just took a 5-min video of my testing the "nag" to hold the steering wheel on a flat and straight stretch of road.

Punch line is toward the end of the video! (and written below it, at the end of this post, if you don't feel like watching the whole thing) :biggrin:

I personally haven't experienced a timed nag, at least on the roads I've driven and in the weather conditions experienced.
There's lot more testing to be done of course, but that's at least my hunch for now.

I assume hands off the wheel?

Did you engage AP right before you started the video?

Your nag happened before you hit the curves, it happened at 3:58 on the straightaway.

- - - Updated - - -

If you started your video 2 seconds before the video starts, that makes exactly 4 minutes for the nag. I don't think we've seen a timed 4-minute nag, I've heard of timed 3 minutes and timed 5minute nags.

Last edited:
I assume hands off the wheel?

Did you engage AP right before you started the video?

Your nag happened before you hit the curves, it happened at 3:58 on the straightaway.

- - - Updated - - -

If you started your video 2 seconds before the video starts, that makes exactly 4 minutes for the nag. I don't think we've seen a timed 4-minute nag, I've heard of timed 3 minutes and timed 5minute nags.

EDIT: no hands (or knees) on the steering wheel at all. Sorry I forgot to answer that the first time I answered your post.

AP was actually engaged for a while (several minutes) as I mentioned in the video prior to starting it. That was on a straight stretch of the freeway with no curves at all.
I was on a conference call though, so I couldn't start the video until the meeting ended at 12pm sharp.

To reinforce this, I took another 6-minute video (apologies for the poor video quality, I can't upload HD videos to YouTube unless I'm on WiFi):

Yep, my experience as well but I'll keep experimenting.

No AP was engage for a while (several minutes) as I mentioned in the video.

Sorry, I skimmed the video (no offense, but I wasn't going to watch someone drive on a straightaway for 5 minutes with AP engaged).

Off to skim your next video ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Hands off the wheel on both videos? (since they both only show the top part of the wheel)