Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They can even be made dynamic if needed, although those will be more expensive. The vehicles will still be able to read existing signs, but if it sees a QR code sign also, it will give that priority. Use your imagination as to what kind of information your Tesla could make use of.

View attachment 108055

View attachment 108050
(go ahead and scan them if you can)
i like the idea of rich data eg speed limit 65 mph unless you are in autonomous mode in which case it's 90 mph :)

Concerning the misreading of speed limit signs, I can see a case for states or the DOT to add QR code signs, or similar, to existing signs in the future. Autonomous cars and trucks are coming, and the Federal government just announced putting over $4B towards the effort. I see autonomous and semi-autonomous cars and trucks looking for the code for not only speed, but curve signs (including direction and radius so the car knows how sharp the curve is), school speed limit signs (and recognizing the times they are in effect), stop signs, etc. You can put a lot of information in a QR code that autonomous and semi-autonomous vehicles can use. They can even be made dynamic if needed, although those will be more expensive. The vehicles will still be able to read existing signs, but if it sees a QR code sign also, it will give that priority. Use your imagination as to what kind of information your Tesla could make use of.

View attachment 108055

View attachment 108050
(go ahead and scan them if you can)

Cool, but I wonder how easily these could be "hacked"? Would it be possible for me to change the meaning of the sign with a sharpie? I'm not real familiar with how the information is encoded, so maybe it's not realistic to be able to make a change without invalidating the code.

Cool, but I wonder how easily these could be "hacked"? Would it be possible for me to change the meaning of the sign with a sharpie? I'm not real familiar with how the information is encoded, so maybe it's not realistic to be able to make a change without invalidating the code.

For that matter, someone could change the meaning of the sign by generating a new QR code (easy) and printing it up large and sticking it over an existing sign (more work but still conceptually easy). Not too much different from someone altering a speed limit sign for the current Tesla cameras to read, or posting their own fake speed limit sign, right? This is kind of an interesting problem to think about.

...mumble mumble...digital signature in the QR code...key distribution...mumble mumble...

K5ING: Cute QR code contents...I like. :)

Anything can be hacked, but I would like to think that someone that could hack a QR code sign would be smart enough not to. But right now, any kid with a can of spray paint can change a 30 to an 80.

It wouldn't even have to be QR codes. I just chose that as the cheapest, fastest and easiest way to do it. Other methods would be an RFID chip in the sign and a reader in the car, or solar powered bluetooth transmitter in the sign. Just some way to get road information to the car that people wouldn't need, but the car could use. Of course, it would have to use an industry standard that everyone, not just Teslas, could use. Maybe advertisers could use it for advertising to help with the cost. Just think...you would be driving along and suddenly an advertisement for "The Mystery Spot????" would pop up on your nav screen. Hmmm...maybe this isn't such a good idea after all.

Last edited:

Yeah all those vandals that understand reed-solomon error correction codes, sure.

They've been much more successful "hacking" our local 55 signs to 88.

The data could be encrypted and an ECC would defeat alteration with a pen, but I wonder whether a vandal can just copy or remove a valid QR from one sign and stick it over the QR on another, where it would yield bogus data. I suppose this could be addressed by adding GPS coordinates to the encrypted data, so the QR is ignored if it is not near the correct coordinates. I think you need to go to these lengths if the system is to be foolproof (vandal proof).

Interesting little bug in 7.1 I've discovered.

Facts:
• Classic S 85, from 2013
• I have left driver's dash display area set to "Media" so I can see the radio station I'm on

This morning I was listening to the radio, and I noticed that there was no radio station showing up in the left-hand area of driver display. It was just plain blank. But the radio was on and working fine. So I tried pressing up/down buttons on left side of steering wheel, to change stations. Nothing. No change. The station I was listening to continued to play.

So then I pressed the musical note app icon in the 17" display, and I was surprised to see the "Browse" screen, as in, select something to do. So I tapped Radio, then AM (all the while the radio station was playing already).

STILL a dark black screen on the left side of the driver's display. Only when I tapped another preset radio station on the 17" display, did the driver's display FINALLY get a clue and show the station info in the driver's display.

I'd say that's a bug.

I'd say that's a bug.

Or just needs a reboot. Lots of times I see the IC get out of sync with the touchscreen for Audio and Nav, and it takes rebooting one or both to bring them back in sync.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, 2.9.172 needs a name! It looks like user: ilikechowfan was the first one to report it to the tracker, so he/she (or anyone else) can suggest a name.

I think I discovered something very interesting!

I'll post a video shortly explaining what I found, but in the meantime here's a photo that might give you a clue.

HINT: I had neither hands (or knees) on the wheel, NOR feet on pedals :biggrin:

I've had this happen, too. I already had the AP set at 10 over before I got to the "restricted" area. It showed the warning, but never slowed me down.

Also, 2.9.172 needs a name! It looks like user: ilikechowfan was the first one to report it to the tracker, so he/she (or anyone else) can suggest a name.

Just a reminder, for those more creative than me, that this version was the one that fixed the bug in some 70s that caused them to display as 60s.

Lousy suggestions: "PlusTen", "What's 10 kWh between friends?", "Easy-Go, Easy-Come"

Someone come up with something better. Please!

No. I think there just isn't reference to it in the release notes. But people have definitely reported that it still works.
This is nothing but yet another gimmick to tweet about which is useful to .1% of the owners, correct? I've never tried it, never will... complicated dance with the pedals, battery needs to be in max power / hot mode, etc. Essentially "Drag Strip Mode". Whoopdidoo.

But Elon can't tweet "Navigation sucks less badly than in earlier releases", so I guess we should be happy with what we get.

This is nothing but yet another gimmick to tweet about which is useful to .1% of the owners, correct? I've never tried it, never will... complicated dance with the pedals, battery needs to be in max power / hot mode, etc. Essentially "Drag Strip Mode". Whoopdidoo.

I don't know. I haven't tried it either, and don't have any plans to. I've never even turned on Max Battery Power.

Err, good point. Do I have that? Why would I use that?

Yeah, you have that now.

You'd have to at least turn it on if you did want to use launch mode, because launch mode doesn't work if it isn't on.

In theory the car is supposed to be a bit faster with Max Battery Power enabled, once it reaches the "ready" state, but the data members here have been collecting doesn't really support that. We do know that it heats the pack significantly, and uses a fair amount of power.