Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
note there's a new setting in 7.1 to enable/disable Lock on Park - I believe it's still enabled by default, same as pre-7.1. So I think engaging Park is not a solution to the original scenario, if setting is disabled.
it's also quite likely that the same demographic that sets only the driver door to open when unlocking will also be the ones to disable unlocking on parking...

Quick update from the data geeks... the roll-out seems to have ended. We have a very few reports a day for the last four days... Anyone out there who hasn't gotten 7.1 yet (not asking about people who intentionally aren't upgrading)?

Well, if it has ended, I'm a tad sad. Still on 7.0. Not near a service center, so that option is out as far as getting the update. Perhaps I'll email them and just inquire... it is one thing to not get many of the 'bug fix' releases, where major new features aren't added, but to not get this release is a tad disappointing. Green1, I'll trade ya, you can have me 'lack of an update', and I'll take your update lol.

Well, if it has ended, I'm a tad sad. Still on 7.0. Not near a service center, so that option is out as far as getting the update. Perhaps I'll email them and just inquire... it is one thing to not get many of the 'bug fix' releases, where major new features aren't added, but to not get this release is a tad disappointing. Green1, I'll trade ya, you can have me 'lack of an update', and I'll take your update lol.
Thanks for speaking up! I'd just call the service number and ask :) -- usually much quicker than email turnaround time

note there's a new setting in 7.1 to enable/disable Lock on Park - I believe it's still enabled by default, same as pre-7.1. So I think engaging Park is not a solution to the original scenario, if setting is disabled.

it's also quite likely that the same demographic that sets only the driver door to open when unlocking will also be the ones to disable unlocking on parking...
If the car is already in Park, the (Park) button on the end of the gear stalk will extend all the handles when Door Unlock Mode is Driver regardless of the setting of Unlock on Park.

Last edited:
The Release Notes has stated that 7.1 has improved the auto-speed algorithm of the wiper. Well, I'd like to revert this "improvement" if possible!
I never had any problems with it before, it used to wipe at an appropriate speed. But this morning, driving in snowfall it was very irritating. I had to manually wipe it many times as snow accumulated but the auto setting wiper would not wipe (it was on the more sensitive auto mode already). However, once I reached my office parking garage (underground) and started to drive down a few floors indoors, it started wiping like crazy at full speed even though there was no precipitation anymore since I was indoors, I had to turn it off manually.

Have you written to [email protected] to make that request? The more people that do, the more likely they are to bring it back.

Yea. I also hit them up again for a way to recall driver's profiles before entering the car. I HATE that it can't recall profiles via FOB identification. Such a dumb oversight. Don't think I've been without that feature since 2001. I mean seriously, even the 1985 Benz S-Class I'm going to restore has seat position recall buttons on the door. That's right...30 years old, and it still has at least one up on the Model S.:rolleyes:

Yea. I also hit them up again for a way to recall driver's profiles before entering the car.

Great. No harm in that.

I just think it will probably be a heck of a lot easier to get Tesla to put back a simple option that may have been removed inadvertently as opposed to getting them to provide a completely new set of functionality, in spite of how many people want that new functionality.

Who knows. Perhaps they'll do both!

Great. No harm in that.

I just think it will probably be a heck of a lot easier to get Tesla to put back a simple option that may have been removed inadvertently as opposed to getting them to provide a completely new set of functionality, in spite of how many people want that new functionality.

Who knows. Perhaps they'll do both!
Or they do Dinner Mode (the successor of lunch mode): you press break 16 times while flooring the accelerator and holding P; then you honk while at the same time pressing three buttons on the touch screen. Then when you hit the break the next time the car accelerates about one hundredth of a second faster from 0-60 than without any of this. And there will be a press announcement and a call with Elon and a seven dollar stock increase. And the same release removes the ability to store FM stations from the media app.

Too soon?

Or they do Dinner Mode (the successor of lunch mode): you press break 16 times while flooring the accelerator and holding P; then you honk while at the same time pressing three buttons on the touch screen. Then when you hit the break the next time the car accelerates about one hundredth of a second faster from 0-60 than without any of this. And there will be a press announcement and a call with Elon and a seven dollar stock increase. And the same release removes the ability to store FM stations from the media app.

You know you're gonna get in trouble for leaking inside information again...

The Release Notes has stated that 7.1 has improved the auto-speed algorithm of the wiper. Well, I'd like to revert this "improvement" if possible!
I never had any problems with it before, it used to wipe at an appropriate speed. But this morning, driving in snowfall it was very irritating. I had to manually wipe it many times as snow accumulated but the auto setting wiper would not wipe (it was on the more sensitive auto mode already). However, once I reached my office parking garage (underground) and started to drive down a few floors indoors, it started wiping like crazy at full speed even though there was no precipitation anymore since I was indoors, I had to turn it off manually.
Agreed ZsoZso - a step backwards from 7.0. Sensitivity enjoyed previously now irritating, especially at slower traffic speeds for me in the UK.

I finally got the 7.1 update. I emailed Tesla on 1/15 and got the response that "The 7.1 firmware release for the 70kWh vehicle has been delayed due to an observed bug." However, I was at the service center today for an unrelated issue and had them check again. This time, they said that the update process had identified a problem with the 12V battery and had put the car on an update "blacklist". There were no other warnings or alerts concerning the 12V, so we really don't know what the root cause was. They were able to push the update, and it's all good now.

I finally got the 7.1 update. I emailed Tesla on 1/15 and got the response that "The 7.1 firmware release for the 70kWh vehicle has been delayed due to an observed bug." However, I was at the service center today for an unrelated issue and had them check again. This time, they said that the update process had identified a problem with the 12V battery and had put the car on an update "blacklist". There were no other warnings or alerts concerning the 12V, so we really don't know what the root cause was. They were able to push the update, and it's all good now.

That's quite interesting. An update "blacklist". So it might be worth for people who haven't received an upgrade by the end of a roll-out to contact Tesla service to inquire about this...

Yeah all those vandals that understand reed-solomon error correction codes, sure.

They've been much more successful "hacking" our local 55 signs to 88.

Are they just trying to help the people driving DeLoreans?

- - - Updated - - -

I've heard a few people claim that Lunch Mode was removed with the update to 7.1. Is this true?
This is nothing but yet another gimmick to tweet about which is useful to .1% of the owners, correct? I've never tried it, never will... complicated dance with the pedals, battery needs to be in max power / hot mode, etc. Essentially "Drag Strip Mode". Whoopdidoo.

But Elon can't tweet "Navigation sucks less badly than in earlier releases", so I guess we should be happy with what we get.

I don't know. If my S could serve me lunch, I would probably enjoy it. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think I've seen mention of this yet... relating to the unlock logic.

Prior to 7.1, double-clicking the fob or touching a door caused all handles to extend. The new firmware allows you to set 'driver door only' so that only that handle extends. A second double-click on the fob extends the other three doors.

Fine, that works as expected. However, if you walk up to the car and touch the drivers handle, it extends as expected. But how do you open the remainder of the doors without using the fob?

I've found that getting in the car, the lock at the top of the touch screen shows 'unlocked'... however, touching the passenger handle doesn't extend it because only the driver's door is actually unlocked. Short of using the fob, I find that I have to touch the lock icon twice... first time the driver's door locks, second time all unlock.

This seems counter-intuitive... shouldn't there be a way to unlock the rest of the doors without first locking them all first? I rarely use the fob buttons! I can see that if there was danger near the car, you might want to lock the driver door right away, but most often, you'll want to let others in. I think this function needs a bit more thought and refinement... unless I've missed something in the release notes.

I switched back yesterday from Driver to All because I don't want to fumble with the key fob and pressing the parking brake button or the screen twice was too much since I would essentially get in the car and then unlock the other doors while my passengers complained. It would be nice if I could tap the driver handle a second time to open the others. Maybe on the next update.

I didn't think it would be a big deal, but I am seriously missing the audio source selection button that was next to the EQ button. I hope they bring it back. Don't even understand why they would have done away with it.

From the 7.1 Classic Thread...
I suspect that this is because of the Spotify inclusion (outside the US). The Spotify "app" they are using runs outside the main media play "app". Because it is likely sandboxed, the Tesla programmers must not have had enough time to include an API point to properly feed back to the Media Center what tune is playing or some other function, so they just removed the selector altogether. My hope is that they do have a solution for this, but couldn't make it work outside the US only and are waiting till someday (hopefully) Spotify is available on all cars and they flip that switch. We shall see.