Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Majerus--

Just watched your videos. Like the other video posted, which was not attributed to an owner here, so I couldn't ask, I noticed the mirrors remained folded. So what I'd like to ask you is if you have auto-fold mirrors enabled or not. If you have them disabled, and your mirrors were just folded when you shot the video, then there is no change in behavior in this version of the firmware. However, if you have auto-fold mirrors enabled, then the Tesla programmers went the extra step, and got the auto-park feature right, because the car starts up, but the mirrors remain folded. This makes sense, since the car wouldn't be using them, and the extra space would just make maneuvering more difficult.

As an aside, now that Tesla has provided the option of an "auto open" and "auto close" feature for the Homelink buttons, I'm planning on writing to them again, and suggesting an additional option of connecting a mirror-fold and mirror-unfold to the same homelink button.

I had auto fold enabled in the video, and just tested it with autofold off. With it off as the starts to move the mirrors fold in.

Here is another video from the outside.
https://vimeo.com/151239122

Great video!

Interesting to see the reversing lights flash. Is that standard for USA cars? I personally think its a great feature to warn people and should be the standard procedure for reversing on all cars. Currently in the UK the reversing light is a standard non flashing white/yellow.

Edit: This seems such a good feature, I'm wondering if a thread should be dedicated to summoning?

Last edited:
+1. Definitely interested in automatic backing in.

I will try this.

Mine stopped too until I checked the "Narrow spaces" checkbox, which brought it in just fine. I suppose it depends on whether yours is stopping because your garage opening is narrow

i will double check to see if I checked that box but it appears to stop because of tire resistance encountered with the 'lip'. Thanks for the suggestion.

Here is another video from the outside.
https://vimeo.com/151239122

Thanks for posting, helped me see your car made it in over the slab lip even with a slight incline. My first couple of attempts the car gave up. I have a nearly 2" sag of the driveway on one side and I found I had to put a board in front of the garage slab. 3/4" thick board about 5" wide was enough for the wheel to gain some height before hitting the slab and the car now makes it in.

First attempt backing out it couldn't open the garage door. Second time worked. Must have parked itself in a dead spot right under the opener so it didn't register the first time but the car backed up and stopped at the door. Second attempt the signal was picked up, door opened and car pulled out fine. Not something I regularly would need to use here but certainly would need if I ever tried to squeeze it into my parent's narrow garage.

First Impressions:

Autopark in the garage is pretty cool. My garage is very tight and the optimal parking approach is to align at an angle, back in and cut the wheel sharply at the last minute. As expected, autopark won't do this. As a result it gets a lot closer to my wife's car than I do, but if you get out first I guess it wouldn't matter much. I probably won't use this often as is because I'd be concerned she will hit me one day the way the car prefers to park. Also, when pulling out of the garage, it will happily drive off the edge of my driveway into the back yard (I have a rear facing garage with a relatively small turnaround pad). It would be good if we could change the 30' limit to one we customize for our location to avoid this issue.

Autopark in perpendicular spaces does a pretty good job, but fails to spot many parking spaces. In fact, I haven't been able to get it to detect a spot on the driver's side of the car -- even a space that it detected happily driving that same lane the opposite direction. If there are no cars behind you, it will park over the line -- backing in further than the marked area for that space. When a space is completely surrounded by cars, it is flawless. Perhaps like parallel parking, its ability to detect spaces will improve over time.

Autopilot is actually more aggressive in terms of roads it will attempt to work on. It will now activate on several of the residential roads near my house where it refused to try in the past because they have no painted lines. It doesn't perform very well on those roads, however -- I thought it was going to eat a mailbox at one point and had to take over. In general, corrections in spots where it gets confused seem more smooth and gradual -- more like a human driver and less like a robot. There is one spot near my house where it actually fails in a new way, however. It used to creep over the lane marking at a specific curve and then rather abruptly ping pong back into the lane once it crested the hill and figured out what it had done. Now it starts to correct sooner and actually ends up trying to take a left turn lane that it used to ignore. The lighting conditions were especially poor today with some glare, so I'll try it again later. I just thought it was interesting that the same algorithms that improved so many situations seemed to create some new problems. I guess that is why this code isn't easy.

The automatic garage door function is sweet and works very well for me. It is a bit nerve wracking because it doesn't close the garage door until I'm out of sight of the door, so I can't be sure that the command worked. I may have to keep closing it manually.

I'm not sure if the new code included launch control. I couldn't remember the magic sequence, so I may have failed to test it properly. I'll double check the old threads and test it later today. There was no apparent reference to it in the release notes or on any of the control screens.