Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Updated. Turns out more than I originally thought was updated.

Modules updated: BMS, both chargers, charge port, rear drive unit, thermal controller, autopilot, ultrasonic sensors, and parking brake.

Did a ~10 mile drive. Autopilot behavior is definitely changed again. It's acting kind of drunk on back roads now, jumping from side to side, and occasionally leaving the lane entirely, more so than it was on 2.9.154 in the same spots. Could be environmental (was very sunny, lots of shadows), so I'll try it out again later.

On the highway it worked very well and didn't seem to have the offset issue as badly as before. Only drove ~3 miles on the highway, so, not a lot of testing.

Also, the summon stuff is interesting. Very glad they decided not to neuter it.

Last edited:
Pretty sure you are missing @dirkh's point.

Uh, no. He's complaining that Tesla is not paying attention to what's important to him. I'm explaining why what's important to him is not important to Tesla, and the things he thinks are gimmicks are what's most important to Tesla. You may disagree with me, but just repeating the misunderstanding doesn't do much to defend the position.

The "fun stuff" is fine but not at the expense of essential functionality for the sake of a feature that, at best, might impress your friends once or twice.

As I said before, y'all have it exactly backwards as to what Tesla thinks is essential and what is not. Summon is essential. Auto-pilot is essential. Auto-park is essential. UI is "fun stuff" and so is music. Tesla will make the human comforts good enough to sell cars, but they don't care about them all that much. What they care about, what gets highest priority, are the things necessary to the car of the future. That means self-parking, self-driving, summoning, self-charging, and sufficient range and efficiency. These are the things that matter most to Tesla.

Along with making it all inexpensive enough so that everybody can buy one.

The problem is that the "gimmicky" stuff Tesla is focusing on may help generate attention and may even help sell cars in the short-term, but having useful software that does what customers need it to do is what keeps customers happy and what turns customers into repeat customers and into customers who refer other customers. If Tesla continues along this path of apparently not really caring too much about pleasing existing customers, opting to attract new customers instead, it is only a matter of time before there are no more new customers. Tesla needs to strike a balance between improving the basic features that need improvement and introducing the new "gimmicks" that garner attention. There may be no great press coverage when Tesla eventually releases a navigation system that actually works, or when they improve the audio player to the point that other manufacturers were at ten years ago. But it will please Tesla's customers, and that is important too.

Precisely.

I care a lot about the future and what Tesla is trying to accomplish, but my Tesla purchase was not (only) a donation to a cause. I require "the basics" to also be there and correctly operate in my MS to make my continued ownership enjoyable. If I don't enjoy my ownership as much I think I should, or receive a customer service experience I believe is appropriate for a premium brand -- especially compared to older competitive vehicles I have owned -- I will not recommend or make another purchase when there are alternatives. I also do not believe the more cost-concious "masses" will accept basic limitations which are simply not there in an ICE that costs less, even if there are a lot of parlor tricks one can play with, discuss and tweet about in a Tesla. Long-term viability and selling volumes is about BALANCE, not tunnel vision to the exclusion of delivering against basic expectations.

Losing a customer that's bought 4 of your cars over some trivial **** a handful of engineers could have addresses a year ago would be incredibly stupid.

If they are selling more than they can build then it hardly matters much. Stupid would be failing to do important things because those engineers are busy tweaking stuff that isn't really important. But I doubt that there are more than a few customers who are lost because the UI isn't exactly how they think it should be. And every time you "fix" something that annoys somebody you inevitably manage to annoy somebody new because you changed it away from how they liked it. C'est la vie.

Updated. Turns out more than I originally thought was updated.

Modules updated: BMS, both chargers, charge port, rear drive unit, thermal controller, autopilot, ultrasonic sensors, and parking brake.

Did a ~10 mile drive. Autopilot behavior is definitely changed again. It's acting kind of drunk on back roads now, jumping from side to side, and occasionally leaving the lane entirely, more so than it was on 2.9.154 in the same spots. Could be environmental (was very sunny, lots of shadows), so I'll try it out again later.

On the highway it worked very well and didn't seem to have the offset issue as badly as before. Only drove ~3 miles on the highway, so, not a lot of testing.

Also, the summon stuff is interesting. Very glad they decided not to neuter it.

Are you able to tell what changes were made to the BMS?

Losing a customer that's bought 4 of your cars over some trivial **** a handful of engineers could have addresses a year ago would be incredibly stupid.

Which is why it is all the more insulting. I get that Tesla has multiple things on their plate and a forward-thinking, long-term vision. But we aren't talking about reinventing the UI like v7 did. These are all things that a good programmer could do in a short amount of time if a) it was a priority (whether initially or simply b/c of age) and b) they were empowered to make the necessary change. It's not trivial, but it's not earth-shattering either.

I think the UI changes were blown out of proportion (sorry, I know it bothers some people), but things like poor navigation, poor route planning, limited voice commands, antiquated web browser, etc. should really be addressed as Andy pointed out a few posts above.

Uh, no. He's complaining that Tesla is not paying attention to what's important to him. I'm explaining why what's important to him is not important to Tesla, and the things he thinks are gimmicks are what's most important to Tesla. You may disagree with me, but just repeating the misunderstanding doesn't do much to defend the position.

As I said before, y'all have it exactly backwards as to what Tesla thinks is essential and what is not. Summon is essential. Auto-pilot is essential. Auto-park is essential. UI is "fun stuff" and so is music. Tesla will make the human comforts good enough to sell cars, but they don't care about them all that much. What they care about, what gets highest priority, are the things necessary to the car of the future. That means self-parking, self-driving, summoning, self-charging, and sufficient range and efficiency. These are the things that matter most to Tesla.

Along with making it all inexpensive enough so that everybody can buy one.

Uh, nope. As just one example a working navigation system is much more important than getting my jollies on watching my car park itself in the garage. I can understand why the gimmicks impress you or potential customers but the fundamentals must be there too or it's not sustainable.

I think the UI changes were blown out of proportion (sorry, I know it bothers some people), but things like poor navigation, poor route planning, limited voice commands, antiquated web browser, etc. should really be addressed as Andy pointed out a few posts above.
1. Poor navigation, I have alternatives like Waze to choose from.
2. Route planner, turned off a year ago.
3. Voice commands, inconsistent & aggravating so rarely used.
4. Web browser, haven't touched in in ages.

But I am stuck seeing that useless giant RED CAR every time I glance down & I can't change it or turn it off.

But I am stuck seeing that useless giant RED CAR every time I glance down & I can't change it or turn it off.

I'm sorry you don't like the color of your car ;)

If I were to respond to you with the same logic you responded to me, I would say "well I don't look at the IC, so it doesn't matter" or "it's not safe to look at the IC, so the red car shouldn't bother you"

Those are things YOU don't use, that doesn't mean that those are things that OTHER people don't use. All of those things were released, and half-baked. Tesla should finish baking them!

The logic here escapes me. All you're saying is that for those things that are broken you have stopped using them or have found workarounds. Sort of like saying it wouldn't bother you if the picture on your brand new television went out but your okay with it because you can still here the sound.

Great discussion here. ...but so we don't get too far off-track, may I suggest that we move discussion about prioritization of functions beyond 7.1 to one of two other threads:

• Tesla's Software To-Do List is a thread I started as a result of discussion in the above by going through current Infotainment functionality page-by-page of 2 other premium auto brands, compared to what our Tesla MS provides as of firmware release 7.1. The list is larger than what I think is personally necessary, but it's there for consideration. I believe it's tough for anyone that reads the first post to disagree a large majority of that "basic" functionality is sadly missing from our MS compared to the competition.

Now, back to what 7.1 is actually providing, how the new functions are used, what it all means, and how those specific new features or changes can be improved. ;)

Sorry, I want all the features fixed for all & would love to use them but don't see it happening.

I was trying to explain why some "blow out of proportion" some of the UI changes is because its in our face 100% of the time while something like route planner failings come into to play only on road trips.

The logic here escapes me. All you're saying is that for those things that are broken you have stopped using them or have found workarounds. Sort of like saying it wouldn't bother you if the picture on your brand new television went out but your okay with it because you can still here the sound.

Sounds like "I gave up on all that working, so I don't even care if Tesla fixes it. I'm in the fifth stage of grief"

Summons. Oh my. How do I put my frustrations in words and stay sane and within the limits of the code of conduct for this forum?

Not sure I can.

There are so many things in the firmware that the majority of the owners use every day. Music app (Spotify for the US, can we please have the direct input selection back, etc). Navigation (way points? updated maps?). Heck, you want to be fancy, voice control. Don't get me started on the UI.

But the "improvements" are (as far too often the case) "yet another tweak to one of the gimmicks".
Unless you have a garage you can pull in/out straight, with enough clearance, etc - you can't use it. And even if you do, what's the point - you gotta get in there and plug / unplug the charging cable. Might as well steer your car STRAIGHT out of your garage yourself.

Arg.

I don't share the same frustration because the root of the summons change was the CR article on needing to enhance the safety of it. Safety is always going to take a priority. With that being said I never really saw it being an issue, and I preferred it the way it was.

The update that I did like was enhancing the low temperature regenerative braking and that impacts a lot of us.That alone will make the update worthwhile in my opinion, and largely why I installed the update knowing there was a good chance it would change the summons behavior. I also believe the creep settings change is extremely useful for those who use multiple drivers profiles.

For the maps we got updated maps a month ago. I haven't received them though, and we have no way to check the version of maps we have.

My biggest problem with the car is also not fixed, but I don't know how many people share my same issue. Where the automatic lights will turn on then off within just a few minutes even without large changes in ambient lighting. It seems to mostly happen when it's really grey and drizzly. When the wipers come on the lights come on, and then after no wiping for a couple minutes the lights turn back off. Then they go back on when the wipers wipe. Anyone behind me is going to laugh about how I can't make up my mind as to whether I want the lights on or not.

Disclaimer - I do use summons a lot so I do have some bias. But, I don't use summons to do anything really useful. I use it mostly because I find it amusing and I guess I'm easily amused. It's fun watching it park perfectly in my garage 4 out of 5 times, and then on the 5th time just do something really stupid like parking at an angle for no particular reason at all.

Last edited:
Was a quick update - the only thing listed in the "with this update" section (the upper portion of the release notes that isn't the same as prior) is that now Creep settings will update with driver profiles. Previously, the creep setting wasn't part of the driver profile.

Also - this update enables autopilot on pre-50,000 VIN cars.

(one of these things is not true)

Thank god. I've reported this a half dozen times to tesla because it repeatedly almost causes accidents. My wife gets in the car and turns creep on. I get in, set my profile and then almost hit something because the car starts moving when I'm not expecting it. For her, the car rolls backwards when she's not expecting it and hold hasn't been engaged.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm... the release notes HTML file on the car shows some summon improvements. Those aren't actually showing for folks?
Customizing Summon
You can now specify how Summon operates whenever it parks or retrieves your vehicle:
BUMPER CLEARANCE: Specify how close Model SModel X gets to obstacles directly in front of or behind the vehicle when moving into a parking space.
SIDE CLEARANCE: Allow Model SModel X to enter and exit very narrow parking spaces.
SUMMON DISTANCE: Specify the distance Model SModel X travels when backing out of a parking space.
USE HOMELINK: Select the garage door Summon should operate when there is a multi-door garage.

Will it allow me to set how far out of the garage the car moves before closing the garage door? It's currently hard coded to 20 feet but I park 35 feet into my garage and the door tries to close on me each time.

Will it allow me to set how far out of the garage the car moves before closing the garage door? It's currently hard coded to 20 feet but I park 35 feet into my garage and the door tries to close on me each time.

There is a setting for travel distance now (max 40')... but I don't know if that's homelink related...

Length-wise my car only has a couple of feet in the front and back with the garage door closed, so, cant really test.

There is a setting for travel distance now (max 40')... but I don't know if that's homelink related...

Length-wise my car only has a couple of feet in the front and back with the garage door closed, so, cant really test.

One of the adjustments I was hoping for in this release was the ability to offset parking more to one side rather than having it center between objects. Is that an option here?