Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a setting for travel distance now (max 40')... but I don't know if that's homelink related...

Length-wise my car only has a couple of feet in the front and back with the garage door closed, so, cant really test.

When you start backing out, there's a foot countdown on the homelink popup that always starts at 20 feet. This is not an issue if the garage door is closed already because once it stops to open the door, it know where the door is at that point and doesn't close it until the car is well clear of it.

The issue if the the door is already open and you're not using summon but are instead just backing out. The 20 foot countdown progresses until it hits zero and then tries to close the door. If it says something other than 20 feet after you change this setting and increases from that, then it's probably fixed. if it still says 20 feet no matter what, then it's still broken.

When you start backing out, there's a foot countdown on the homelink popup that always starts at 20 feet. This is not an issue if the garage door is closed already because once it stops to open the door, it know where the door is at that point and doesn't close it until the car is well clear of it.

The issue if the the door is already open and you're not using summon but are instead just backing out. The 20 foot countdown progresses until it hits zero and then tries to close the door. If it says something other than 20 feet after you change this setting and increases from that, then it's probably fixed. if it still says 20 feet no matter what, then it's still broken.
Am I correct in understanding that you can now use summon to back out the car, homelink automatically opens the door when the car gets close enough, and once the car is clearly out of the garage, the door closes?

The update that I did like was enhancing the low temperature regenerative braking and that impacts a lot of us.That alone will make the update worthwhile in my opinion...

It will be interesting to see just what this does and how regenerative braking is affected. I hope those who get the update will report on this, preferably reporting any changes with respect to how the regenerative braking limit seems to be impacted both with range mode on and with range mode off.

My biggest problem with the car is also not fixed, but I don't know how many people share my same issue. Where the automatic lights will turn on then off within just a few minutes even without large changes in ambient lighting. It seems to mostly happen when it's really grey and drizzly. When the wipers come on the lights come on, and then after no wiping for a couple minutes the lights turn back off. Then they go back on when the wipers wipe. Anyone behind me is going to laugh about how I can't make up my mind as to whether I want the lights on or not.
In California, anytime the wipers are on, the headlights must be on. Tesla has just built in that best practice. :)

Uh, no. He's complaining that Tesla is not paying attention to what's important to him. I'm explaining why what's important to him is not important to Tesla, and the things he thinks are gimmicks are what's most important to Tesla. You may disagree with me, but just repeating the misunderstanding doesn't do much to defend the position.

As I said before, y'all have it exactly backwards as to what Tesla thinks is essential and what is not. Summon is essential. Auto-pilot is essential. Auto-park is essential. UI is "fun stuff" and so is music. Tesla will make the human comforts good enough to sell cars, but they don't care about them all that much. What they care about, what gets highest priority, are the things necessary to the car of the future. That means self-parking, self-driving, summoning, self-charging, and sufficient range and efficiency. These are the things that matter most to Tesla.

Along with making it all inexpensive enough so that everybody can buy one.

It's all subjective, and in a sense those things aren't essential at all, if you are willing to drive your own car. If you do drive your own car, having a decent navigator and better voice commands would be good. Having Bluetooth connectivity with my phone, but having voice commands that would have been considered insufficient a decade ago is pretty bad. I know of no other car with Bluetooth connectivity that I can't tell to call a phone number. I haven't had a car since the last century that doesn't position my seat for me automatically, and this car makes me use the center console, but the seat is in the way if I want to get there. These are all things that people who look at the car find laughable.

On the other hand, autopark shouldn't be underestimated. It's true that many of us don't have a practical use for it, but the hope is that some day, I'll be able to park my car, it will drive itself to the supercharger stall when it becomes available and is my turn, charge itself, and find a place to park so another car can charge. It will need a navigator that's part of a system that reserves and load balances superchargers. It will all get there in time. Those things that start out as gimmicks end up as essential features.

I can't blame Tesla for adding the things they added when they added them. Musk announced these things around the time I got my car and people have been waiting for them ever since. Now they have gotten through the list of long promised items, can refine all of it until it works well, and then add those features that have been standard for so long in other cars. They did it with backup lines and tire pressures. They will do it with voice commands, navigators, seats, etc. when the time is right.

Those people who say it's not important are the same ones who were saying autopilot wasn't important when I bought my car. Except people didn't call it autopilot since Tesla hadn't announced it. But owners were saying how the car was better without ACC and Tesla didn't make a mistake by leaving it off, and they wouldn't want it on their car. Now that Tesla has it, people have turned around. Even those with pre AP cars recognize it as an improvement.

- - - Updated - - -

It seems as if it's gotten better getting the front wheels over the lip into my garage, but the rear wheels work maybe 25% of the time. They need to increase the maximum allowable torque to the wheels.

Many people have driveways with slopes, including me. I can summon my car from the garage, but can't have it go into the garage. Maybe this will change it but I doubt it. It will take time and hopefully they will get there.

In California, anytime the wipers are on, the headlights must be on. Tesla has just built in that best practice. :)

My complaint isn't about them being tied to the wipers. Regardless of the California law I'm strongly of the belief that if it's raining out one should have their lights on. It just makes sense, and I do like the Tesla in this regard. It would be so much safer to drive in the rain if all cars had lights that came on when the wipers were being used (beyond intermittent). Especially white and grey cars.

What I don't like is when it turns on the lights, and then two minutes later turns them back off. Only to turn them back on a min or two later. It also doesn't just happen in the rain. Sometimes when its greyish out the lights will turn on, and then turn back off a little bit later with no real change in ambient brightness. In the mornings I've started to manually turn the lights on to keep them on.

I understand that California isn't as grey and misty as Seattle, but Tesla can do a much better job with the automatic lights.

My biggest problem with the car is also not fixed, but I don't know how many people share my same issue. Where the automatic lights will turn on then off within just a few minutes even without large changes in ambient lighting. It seems to mostly happen when it's really grey and drizzly. When the wipers come on the lights come on, and then after no wiping for a couple minutes the lights turn back off. Then they go back on when the wipers wipe. Anyone behind me is going to laugh about how I can't make up my mind as to whether I want the lights on or not.

That has to do with the lights coming on when wipers are on - a California requirement and a good idea in general. Here is one you may have not noticed yet, if you go and manually turn the lights "On" while driving in such grey weather (also a good idea), when you park and attempt to get out of the car, the car will keep dinging at you. A long time ago (5.x) an associated warning used to show up warning you that your lights are On (which is not a problem since they turn off as soon as the driver gets out of the car). I filed a bug with Tesla and they removed the warning, but the warning sounds remain - my guess is that the developer who fixed the bug had a development unit without speakers connected to it (as to not annoy surrounding cubes). ;-)

Musk announced these things around the time I got my car and people have been waiting for them ever since. Now they have gotten through the list of long promised items, can refine all of it until it works well, and then add those features that have been standard for so long in other cars.

The Summon feature is not yet close to what was promised at the D event.

What I don't like is when it turns on the lights, and then two minutes later turns them back off. Only to turn them back on a min or two later. It also doesn't just happen in the rain. Sometimes when its greyish out the lights will turn on, and then turn back off a little bit later with no real change in ambient brightness. In the mornings I've started to manually turn the lights on to keep them on.

Not as convenient as the car doing it for you, but when it's drizzling, I just open the settings and switch from Auto -> On for the rest of my driving session so the lights don't turn back off.

One of the first complaints I filed with Tesla is there's no way to have a "lights always on when driving" setting. Not "Auto".. but just on all the time when the car is energized. Nope! And even if I turn on the lights manually, it reverts back to "Auto" the next time.

When my Model S eventually turns up (waiting impatiently!) the lack of this functionality will be a major ball ache, given that my current ICE is a Volvo, and I have gotten accustomed to the lights just being on. As the latest firmware allows creep setting to be stored on driver profile, surely Tesla could do the same with the lights?

Not as convenient as the car doing it for you, but when it's drizzling, I just open the settings and switch from Auto -> On for the rest of my driving session so the lights don't turn back off.

That's exactly what I do, but come on half the reason I got this car was so I could be lazy. To me this entire car is about having a computer do things for us, and when it does something wrong we find creative solutions for fixing it.

Do I work out so I can get good circulation in my hands? No, I use the heated steering wheel
Do I wake up early to get gas? No, I drive a Tesla
Do I have to take it to the dealer to get a software update? No, it's OTA
Do I have to constantly go from the throttle to the brake in traffic? No, I let TACC take care of it
Do I get in my car to move it out of the way? No, I summon it out of the way
Do I have to plug it in? Only until the snake chargers come online.
The only reason I haven't gained weight is all the walking I do while supercharging.

I think I'll follow what whitex does and simply not worry about the chime. That's actually the most annoying part because to me it's telling me to turn the lights off, but as far as I know the only time you need to worry about that is if you turn them on while you're not driving. If the car is just sitting in the garage for example and you go down to turn them on.

Regarding "With this release regenerative braking at low temperatures has been improved" -- I don't seem to have it! I got the update last night and the release notes mentioned Creep Mode stored in Driver Profile, but didn't mention anything about low temperature regenerative braking improvements. Could this only be for D cars? Mine is non-AP RWD P85+. I could really use this feature! It's cold here and I wish regen worked better in the cold. I hate using the friction brakes and it's also annoying to have such inconsistency when lifting the right pedal for regen, getting a different amount every day depending on how cold it is. Perhaps it was just missed in the release notes; I did get some regen at 24 deg. F this morning, but I don't recall what it would have been like before the update. The worst days are the ones where it is cold enough that you get zero regen. At least you get a warning message; if you didn't it would be a big surprise the first time you lifted expecting some regen. I wish they could vector regen into the cabin and battery heaters on those days.