Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know about the way you ask (hitting rated miles), but the Nav will suggest a speed to make it to your destination via Trip Planner now. Plus it does better with avoiding "0 minute charging needed".
vCiv0aL.jpg

Is that new? Will it tell me I can speed (i.e. keep below 80mph to reach your destination?)

?..B) The clowns on YouTube acting out with AutoPilot are not really to blame. That stuff is inevitable. It's the lawyers that advise Tesla to do this for liability reasons. Lawsuits based on people doing stupid things and wanting compensation from the manufacturer should be summarily dismissed but there are judges that don't. THIS is the problem.
OK. It's all in one's POV I suppose. I still believe since the 7.0 function came out first (and likely passed Tesla's initial internal legal review before it was distributed to the fleet), and Elon/Tesla tries to push the envelope when they can, if the Clowns had not done what they did producing the videos, Tesla may not have made changes they have, at least in the timeframe it has occurred. I agree that liability will continue to be the greatest concern going forward with all of this -- IMHO smart people will get beyond developing the necessary tech, well before the legal nuances are worked out to make driverless NY-to-LA a reality.

If you keep your hands resting on the wheel at all times are you still get the nag every 5 minutes? If so do you have to jiggle the wheel like the person upthread said?

You have to jiggle the wheel, just having your hand on it didn't work for me. Note that this was just what I experienced myself and others might not get the exact same result. My "testing" conditions were
4-6 lane divided highways in Florida (I-75, Florida turnpike, 528)
Speed set to 75-80 mph
Night time driving low to medium traffic
No construction roads that I've driven 30+ times with no nag previously for 25 mins+ on autopilot

Results might be different with different speeds, stop and go traffic, etc. Like someone else posted don't take my word for it just letting everyone know my experience.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. How annoying, it means anyone like me with a detached garage is likely not to be able to use auto-close. :-(

It doesn't work that way for me. When going into the garage, I open the bay with the Tesla. I get in and pull out. At the end of my driveway, it closes the garage bay. On the return trip, when I come up to the driveway it opens the garage bay as I turn the car around in the street and back up the driveway. I close it manually when going into the house.

that seems way off in the future

Doesn't need to be that snake charger. A simple set of 3 motors can provide 3D movement in space and a trivial camera could handle the alignment requirements.

The snake is cool, but way overkill for what is needed at an SC, where having a gantry by the charge port is OK. It would be less acceptable in a home setting where something like the snake is more appropriate.

I was really hoping for the power meter shown in one of the slides at the version 7 press event. At the time, many thought since it was not the version 7.0 power meter that it was likely to be the version 7.1 power meter. I guess I can keep hoping the change gets made eventually.

View attachment 107449
What happened to the kWh per mile graph? I know it is still on the big screen, but......

I've used the 7.1 auto steer several times on 4 and 3 lane divided highways over the past two days and haven't seen any difference with respect to being asked to hold the wheel.
I just did a 2:30 round trip last night in wet conditions on 3 lane divided highways and only got the message about 3 times each way. It seemed to appear on curved sections and when the lighting conditions made the lane markers difficult to see.

Steering around curves does seem smoother, and while it found a few exit ramps very tempting, after drifting a bit over to the right it always pulled back over into the lane to stay on the main highway.

Unfortunately, when changing lanes, AP still swings way too far over in the lane being changed into, both right and left edge. At one point it even went so far over to the left that, even with a clear yellow line, the lane departure rumble came on! Perhaps Tesla should consider integrating the AP with the lane departure sensing system?

People get very excited about the shiny stuff. Which is why Tesla is focusing on that (and the fact that MB is pushing ahead with their version of autopilot and will have something competitive later this year certainly makes it reasonable for Tesla to continue to push).

I agree. The upside to people getting excited about shiny stuff is that Tesla gets some free press, quite a bit of it. I'd argue, too, that the summon feature is useful for development reasons. If the eventual goal is autonomy, these baby steps are a necessity. So maybe (and I do mean maybe), this is just a way to work toward the bigger goal, and dress it up to get free press along the way. If so, that's not a terrible outcome.

Just got the upgrade. Of course, couldn't wait to try out Summon. After playing with it for the last hour, here are my initial impressions:

Coming out of the garage (pretty straightforward):

1. Neighbor across the street caught me as I was calling for the car outside my closed garage. Worked perfectly! His mouth hung open for a good 30 seconds.... Unfortunately, that was the only good news.
2. Since the car needs to always sense the FOB, I needed to be almost right up against the door for it the work every time. Using the app was even flakier, since the front of my garage is right on the edge of my good WiFi reception. So I was getting a lot of "lost communications" and other errors.
3. Other than the above, the procedure worked pretty well. Every time I tried it, the wheels were basically aligned with the opening, so the car didn't have to do much steering. It opened the door and rolled out straight and predictable each time. I liked how the mirror were kept folded, since I have a bit of a narrow opening. I wanted to try it with the wheels starting out at an angle, but after my experience going into the garage, I kinda lost some interest.

Going into the garage (much more dicey):

1. The car moved up to the closed door and opened it every time. This part worked well.
2. I have a bit of a slope the last foot up to the base of the garage. At the threshold, there is a 3/4" lip that most garages have. If the garage door was already open, the car seemed to be able (most of the time) to negotiate the slope and the lip. If the door was closed however, Summon would mostly just shut down. If I restarted it, there was only a 50/50 chance of success.
3. I was really disappointed that the car was unable to steer its way through the entrance if it was even slightly misaligned with the opening. One time I purposely aligned it so maybe an inch of the right side bumper would clip the doorway. The car made no effort to move over, even if the door was already open. Twice I had to stop it manually within 2-4 inches of the doorway (whew!)
4. One time after entering the garage successfully, the car stopped a good 4 feet from the end, so that about a foot of its rear end was sticking out. I went over to figure out why, when the garage door started to come down(!!) I had to run over and grab the door just in time (whew again!!) I had already questioned how reliable the auto-Homelink thing was going to be, but now I was on alert! (BTW, turned out I had a bicycle a bit too close on the right side. After moving it, this did not re-occur.)
5. As I mentioned above, the car had a penchant for getting caught at the slope/lip. However, for some reason, one time it decided everything was fine and started to close the door anyway!! This really took me by surprise and I just barely made it, throwing myself onto the hood with inches to spare (whew again!!!)

At this point I basically gave up, while I could imagine my neighbor looking out his window laughing hysterically at the weirdo geek and his toy....

Conclusion:

1. I did not come away with a comfortable feeling about this. In fact, I am way more comfortable having AutoPilot carry me down the highway at 70 mph, than watching the car park itself in the garage at ~1mph..... Summon isn't something you can use without close supervision. I admit that my specific circumstances are a contributing factor. But even so, some of failsafes need to be tightened up.
2. I think I might continue to use it when leaving the house. But since I'm going to have to unplug it anyway, that kinda defeats the purpose. One thing I won't be using is the auto-Homelink, at least not when going back into the garage.....

Installing in TX. 85D, 8x,xxx VIN. Will update tracker when I have firmware version.

- - - Updated - - -

One thing I won't be using is the auto-Homelink, at least not when going back into the garage.....

I thought about this exact situation. I'm going to re-align my garage sensors so that it's at bumper level instead of ankle level. (I don't have small children to worry about). This should stop garage door unless there is clearance.