Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For what it's worth, I took a drive a way up the Coquihalla Highway today to see if the 120 km/h signs were read more accurately with 7.1. Answer: No.

I went by three of them. Two were ignored altogether. The third (at the end of an on-ramp) I went by quite slowly, right close to the shoulder. It came up as '20 km/h'. Not overly helpful. My initial impression (based on this test and other observations on other, lesser, highways in the area) is that the identification of speed signs is unchanged, or perhaps even less reliable than before.

Note, I've *never* had a 120 sign recognized properly on any of the segments of the Coquihalla.

Interesting that you are finding the signs in Canada not being read any better than before. Dirk's experience in Oregon is different, but that could be because the Oregon signs apparently used some odd font, and Tesla may have simply adjusted the software to recognize it.

The bigger question, though, beeeerock, either for now, or as you drive around in the future, is are you finding any divided highways that the software is identifying as undivided highways, and thus instituting restrictions on? That is where I think we can really help Tesla improve, by identifying those errors, and then seeing if Tesla has a system in place to correct them.

The bigger question, though, beeeerock, either for now, or as you drive around in the future, is are you finding any divided highways that the software is identifying as undivided highways, and thus instituting restrictions on? That is where I think we can really help Tesla improve, by identifying those errors, and then seeing if Tesla has a system in place to correct them.
Well, this might be a dumb question and perhaps I've missed it in the release notes... but how do I know whether it's deciding on 'divided' or 'undivided'? Simply by the upper speed limit it will engage AP? I don't recall seeing anything on the dash that would be indicative one way or the other...

Roads haven't been the best around here lately, so I haven't been pushing the limits by very much! However, we're in a bit of a melt, so perhaps I can soon.

Not entirely related, but I tried the AP on a 60 km/h (divided!) 4-lane arterial road in the city today. Long story why, but at one point, the road narrows to a lane in each direction and makes a 90 degree turn. The road is supposed to continue one day in the distant future and this will then be an intersection. I was watching how the AP flipped between line recognition and following the 'blue car'. At the corner, it attempted to follow the blue car around the tight corner and I think it would have managed it except for the two or three foot almost vertical pile of snow, black from splashed sand and road grime. My car seemed to want to follow the car a little more tightly than the road would have allowed and I had to intervene. I didn't even see it detect the snow bank with the side sensors (odd) before I caused it to turn a little wider and not sideswipe the black gravelled snow. Pre-7.1 I don't think it would even have tried, but just odd that it wanted to follow the leading car without really paying attention to the road (or so it seemed).

FWIW, I have submitted bug reports as I pass each and every 120 sign on the coq multiple times. Obviously Tesla doesn't care.

Getting the speed limit wrong in the past, and the ramifications of that are very different from getting the road-type designation wrong now, and the ramifications of that.

It is possible that Tesla still doesn't care about the latter, but it is also possible that they recognize how important this is now, in light of the changes they have made in the software, and thus are going to make correcting this information a priority. And if Tesla doesn't do it on their own, we have to help them see why it is important that they do.

Getting the speed limit wrong before this most recent update had relatively little impact. Getting the road-type wrong after this update means people will not be able to use one of the main high-tech features of their cars the way they expected to. The stakes are significantly higher on this.

Not entirely related, but I tried the AP on a 60 km/h (divided!) 4-lane arterial road in the city today. Long story why, but at one point, the road narrows to a lane in each direction and makes a 90 degree turn. The road is supposed to continue one day in the distant future and this will then be an intersection. I was watching how the AP flipped between line recognition and following the 'blue car'. At the corner, it attempted to follow the blue car around the tight corner and I think it would have managed it except for the two or three foot almost vertical pile of snow, black from splashed sand and road grime. My car seemed to want to follow the car a little more tightly than the road would have allowed and I had to intervene. I didn't even see it detect the snow bank with the side sensors (odd) before I caused it to turn a little wider and not sideswipe the black gravelled snow. Pre-7.1 I don't think it would even have tried, but just odd that it wanted to follow the leading car without really paying attention to the road (or so it seemed).
If it's the spot I'm thinking of on the main highway through, in my 7.0 car (in good weather) my car behaved very much like you're describing now, it tried hard to go around the corner, but it also didn't try to slow down at all to do it, so I intervened.

Well, this might be a dumb question and perhaps I've missed it in the release notes... but how do I know whether it's deciding on 'divided' or 'undivided'? Simply by the upper speed limit it will engage AP? I don't recall seeing anything on the dash that would be indicative one way or the other...

On a road that the software thinks is undivided, if you attempt to set the TACC speed with Auto-Steer more than 10 kph above the identified speed limit, the car will present an error message on the instrument cluster. Also when on a road it thinks is undivided, if you have a higher set speed and the speed limit lowers, the car will slow, and I believe a message will pop up, explaining why the speed is limited.

None of these things happen on roads the car identifies as divided highways.

All of the nonsense around the new restriction is ridiculous, really. There really just is no reason for it. I honestly don't see how it solves any problem whatsoever. It seems much more probable that it will cause more problems then it solves.

In case anyone missed in my hacking thread where I disabled this restriction in 7.1... I got a little more driving in with it disabled. +9 MPH over the posted limit or so usually (~54 in 45 is pretty normal). I must say, I'm actually pretty impressed with the improvements from 7.0 to 7.1 with back roads. So, they made it perform better than it did before.... and then they neutered it. lol. Makes no sense to me. It works great now on stretches I wouldn't even enable it on before. There is a somewhat curvy road nearby that's a 2-lane 45 MPH road. Before I couldn't use autopilot here are all unless I was at maybe 40 MPH or less. Today it worked pretty flawlessly at 55 MPH and even took some reasonably tight curves well. My only gripe with 7.1 autopilot (aside from the restriction) is that it seems to want to hug the right side of the road too much, to the point where it sometimes gets a bit too close to things like mailboxes (rural areas where houses are set back 100+ft from the road) and so far those have been the only times I've really needed to take over in places where lanes are clear.

Yes, it nags a bit on the curvy roads, but even letting it continue until it's final gasp of a nag before slowing down, it does nicely.

I'm seriously disappointed in Tesla over this stupid speed restriction rule, especially since it performs so well now without it. I'm going to have to make a video of it or something. 7.1 autopilot minus the restriction is pretty much exactly what I've wanted since day 1. Works great on highways, well enough on other roads.

Edit: I'm also going to note again for the people inditing they added a timed nag... THERE ARE NO TIMED NAGS. All of the nags are based on one or more confidence variables. Nothing more. I can still drive for many miles with no nags at all in clear conditions, just like before. I also see no evidence of a timed nag in any of the data on the car.

Definite slow down in the roll-out. We have reached 304 entries in the tracker, only 14 of which came today; this more or less matches what we had for the initial 7.0 roll-out (307 - but fewer than 300 reporting in the first 5 days)... assuming we can get a few more stragglers to post their update we'll have an all time high.
If you got your update - would you please post it to ev-fw.com ?
Still no report from China or Japan, no report from a Model X
All models, all VIN ranges (ok, 120xxx is missing and I know a couple of people with brand new cars have received 7.1), but I think this is fairly complete at this point.

If you haven't received it, yet, I'd love to hear about it. (I know, normally we all discourage "I haven't gotten it, yet" posts, but I'm trying to get an idea how complete the roll-out is. Did they reach 95+% of Model S in 5 days?

No update here yet. Sac area in NORCAL. new car S70. VIN 118xxx. Battling depression at this point!

If it's the spot I'm thinking of on the main highway through, in my 7.0 car (in good weather) my car behaved very much like you're describing now, it tried hard to go around the corner, but it also didn't try to slow down at all to do it, so I intervened.
My experience was on the Summit Connector, below the University. It was speed limited by the car ahead, so I can't say if it would have tried to careen around the corner or not. My gut says it would have baled out before it got that far in 7.0. Right turn, it tried to cut the corner tighter than I was comfortable with. This was the spot: Google Maps

On a road that the software thinks is undivided, if you attempt to set the TACC speed with Auto-Steer more than 10 kph above the identified speed limit, the car will present an error message on the instrument cluster. Also when on a road it thinks is undivided, if you have a higher set speed and the speed limit lowers, the car will slow, and I believe a message will pop up, explaining why the speed is limited.

None of these things happen on roads the car identifies as divided highways.
Ah, got it. Those are the behaviours I understood would identify undivided highways. In other words it's trial and error to test. I was starting to wonder if there was some sort of indication on the dash I hadn't noticed. Upon further reflection, perhaps there should be.

My experience was on the Summit Connector, below the University. It was speed limited by the car ahead, so I can't say if it would have tried to careen around the corner or not. My gut says it would have baled out before it got that far in 7.0. Right turn, it tried to cut the corner tighter than I was comfortable with. This was the spot: Google Maps
ah, not where I was thinking of, I just looked up where it was I was thinking of, it's the 90degree turn on the main highway in salmon arm.

ah, not where I was thinking of, I just looked up where it was I was thinking of, it's the 90degree turn on the main highway in salmon arm.
Got you. Salmon River, narrow bridge, hard right westbound. I've driven the MS over that bridge a few dozen times since 7.0 arrived but can't honestly say I've been comfortable doing it with AP. Too tight a curve, too narrow a bridge. If it went bad, it would do so quickly... so probably only tried it a couple of times and very carefully. Haven't yet been out that way with 7.1 and the roads are too messy to give it a fair test anyway.

FWIW, I have submitted bug reports as I pass each and every 120 sign on the coq multiple times. Obviously Tesla doesn't care.
Not sure that's an obvious conclusion by any means; it's a projection of your frustration because they haven't acknowledged your reports.

I think Tesla is not unlike many technology companies with a large user base, where bug reports can frequently come in faster than engineering can deal with them. If your issue isn't fixed right away, it's probably because they've had to triage higher-priority problems, or this is actually harder/riskier to fix than it appears and they don't have a solution yet. No inside knowledge of Tesla here, just an educated guess based on having to make similar hard choices with limited time and resources.

Finally I'm on 7.1, but with some issues.

Two days ago I had 7.0 and was sitting in my car as the screen froze. I did the usual scroll wheel reset, but with no effect. I pulled the touchscreen fuse, but also no luck. Charging was at 1kW from a 11kW source. Had no heat and 300km to Berlin SC. Tech support advised same reset procedure. Next was the Berlin service center, who tried to pull logs. After they connected to the car, they advised to reset again and then pull the fuse once more. This time scroll wheel reset worked! As the screen turned on, I saw the software update prompt. According to SC, the cause might have been receiving 7.1. They said they did nothing more than log pull from my car, yet suddenly it got OK.

One interesting observation that I made was that while the touchscreen was unresponsive, the dash was displaying speed in miles per hour with "km/h" underneath (km/h is my normal setting). So when it was saying my speed is 60 km/h, it was actually ~100km/h. Resetting the dash had no effect on this. I believe this is a bug. Theoretically could get me a speeding ticket, but 1.6x speed difference is quite obvious if you look outside.