Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You know, I was skeptical at first but there might just be something to this whole car-updates-firmware-at-service-center deal.

My experience is as follows:

1) Been on 2.20.30 since May 27th, so over a month and no updates or even update notifications since
2) Dropped off my 2014 P85D at the Burlingame service center on Tuesday, June 28th morning for the Ludicrous upgrade
3) Got an notification last night, Wednesday June 29th at 7:15pm that a software update is available

I know they haven't touched the car yet because it's just been sitting on the lot next to the SC building, and I'm not sure whether it's on WiFi or not but it sure seems like software updates while at a service center is not a coincidence in my case!

• Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100 and msnow
I couild see this. Almost every Tesla that goes in to the Service Center ends up getting the latest Firmware. It takes time for the service tech to load it manually via laptop. Why not just have it automatically load on every Tesla that joins the Service Center's WiFi. Then the latest is already loaded and ready to go and one less thing the techs have to do.

Well, I tried parking my P85 at the Sunnyvale, CA service center today. Had a good connection to their WiFi. I was there for about 40 minutes. My current 2.22.50 shows no sign of wanting to be updated yet. So that's my second indication that visiting a showroom/service center and getting on WiFi doesn't cause an update to appear for me (after the one time that did).

How close did you park to the service center? ;)

Maybe I'm not parking close enough or long enough at my SvC

Well based on my extensive testing, there is a 32-yard radius around Service Centers that defines the FIRMWARE UPDATE ACCELERATION FIELD EVENT HORIZON(TM). So I made sure to park at around 27 yards. Keep in mind that the radius is in 3 dimensions, so you can also be up to 32 yards directly overhead of the center of mass of a Service Center, and the effect will still occur. Also note that the longer you stay within the field, the more firmware waiting dilation will be experienced.