Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before you all go blaming Tesla you should know my setting of "off" didn't change with this update. So maybe not everyone had this problem?

A fair point indeed. I've had similar experiences with past releases (for example, audio settings reverting to original, and energy settings once iirc, that sort of thing). Not a matter of blame as much as it is a matter of reducing FUD through best practice.

Reactions: msnow
Haha. Tesla keeping promises. That's a quaint idea. Be assured, they will do what's they think is best for future sales. A rollback is by no means out of the question.

The difference is that there are no features in question that don't appear on other cars. TACC is nothing but ACC and nobody is blaming it for anything directly. People are blaming "autopilot" as a whole but it would be hard to make a case that Tesla shouldn't have ACC when so many other cars do, and have had it for over a decade. Since Tesla was explicit in statements that it may not sense certain things including those above a certain level, it's hard to say it's not working as designed. Even at that, there's a general disclaimer that active emergency braking will merely slow the car down at that speed, not stop it. Considering how many versions of ACC aren't designed to stop a car under any circumstances, Tesla could modify it by making it worse, but if they propose doing so since it would match what others are doing, they could simultaneously question how that obviously acceptable solution would make things safer. At most, they could be asked to claim it may not stop the car but they already do that.

As for auto steer, it's merely lane keeping. It's a specific form of lane keeping called lane centering and is also offered by other manufacturers. In the two recent cases in which autopilot was questioned, one kept the car perfectly on course, and the other turned out not to be on autopilot. There are a few changes Tesla could make. They could make autosteer worse and claim that it's now like lane keeping in other cars, but again the question would be why making it less accurate would be better for the driver. They could change the system so that the check for hands on the wheel remains the same, except it's also done when autopilot is off. In the latter case, it could turn it on, give the hands message, and then do what it currently does if the driver continues not to touch the steering wheel. Critics would argue that Tesla would be keeping autopilot on more, not less, but there is a compelling case that it would be safer and may have prevented the accident that turned out not to be related to autopilot being in use. Finally, they could check far more frequently whether the driver is holding the wheel. However, accidents due to inattentiveness happen all the time, and in virtually all cases, the driver's hands are on the wheel. Keeping hands on the wheel won't prevent a person from looking at the console to change the audio selection or dial a phone call or falling asleep or watching a DVD on a portable player. Having an extra distraction that does nothing but make the driver look down at messages more often won't help. The car currently goes by pressure, not touch, so I get the warning regularly anyway, When I get it, I hold the wheel more firmly and put pressure one way or the other. It doesn't make me safer and often I won't react until I hear a beep even though my hands are on the wheel.

The bottom line is that the only difference between what Tesla is doing and what others are doing is that Tesla is doing a far better job at lane centering. There's no case to be made that it should be disabled in Tesla cars but not others. There is a strong case that could be made that US trucks are inherently unsafe without any guards on the sides, as in other countries. When the story broke about the Florida accident, I was in Vietnam. I noticed that all trucks there without exception had side protection that would prevent a car from ending up under a truck. Not all were built to the same standard, but the absolute weakest standard is in the US where they aren't required at all. If Vietnam can afford it, it's hard to make a case that the US can't.

Lookup what happened with Smart Air Suspension in 2013 after a media freakout about a car hitting a tow hook. Tesla admitted that even though chances of it happening again were astronomical, they still disabled it to show that they are proactively doing something.
[snip]
SAS got re-enabled months later after the titanium plate retrofit. Bottom line, it is not at all unlikely that given enough media pressure, Tesla will disable auto-pilot, pretend they don't know what happened, then tell you they are working on a solution with some deadline they are going to blow by months.

There are a few major differences here. The car was working as designed, the tow hook and SAS were both legitimate concerns, and it was a matter of fixing it. Other cars lowered suspensions too, possibly not to the same degree and without the specific vulnerability that Tesla had. With the recent autopilot cases, in one autopilot wasn't being used. In the other, autosteer worked perfectly and wasn't a contributing factor. TACC worked as designed and is up to the same standards as in other vehicles. Had there been a specific feature that actively caused an accident, Tesla could consider disabling that feature. But if a case can be made at all for anything, it's that Tesla should enable checking for more factors, such as a truck body. Not recognizing a truck isn't a feature that can be disabled.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Blind faith aside, here's the other side of the coin:

The failure to provide release notes for each release does not inspire confidence.

Finding out by accident what may or may not have changed is not optimal.

Interim updates aren't necessarily bug fixes. They don't necessarily qualify as new features. They may not be easily explainable. For example, autosteer might get general refinements. It might be that at a specific type of exit under a certain condition with a certain type of road marking, the car momentarily pulled to the right and that no longer happens. Telling 50,000 people about vague changes for problems they never had don't do anything. Musk stated publicly that autopilot is constantly being updated.

There was one interim update that allowed me to use summon to put my car in the garage. It had to do with the slope of my particular driveway and might not have affected most others for whom summon already worked, or didn't work for other reasons. A release note that said "summon now works in Haggy's driveway" wouldn't have been meaningful. Tesla gets reports when summon aborts. If some of them are for reasons that can be fixed but don't affect most users, it all falls under the banner of general improvements to autopilot.

Reactions: Alex D
Interim updates aren't necessarily bug fixes. They don't necessarily qualify as new features. They may not be easily explainable. For example, autosteer might get general refinements. It might be that at a specific type of exit under a certain condition with a certain type of road marking, the car momentarily pulled to the right and that no longer happens. Telling 50,000 people about vague changes for problems they never had don't do anything. Musk stated publicly that autopilot is constantly being updated.

There was one interim update that allowed me to use summon to put my car in the garage. It had to do with the slope of my particular driveway and might not have affected most others for whom summon already worked, or didn't work for other reasons. A release note that said "summon now works in Haggy's driveway" wouldn't have been meaningful. Tesla gets reports when summon aborts. If some of them are for reasons that can be fixed but don't affect most users, it all falls under the banner of general improvements to autopilot.

The right thing to do then would be to state in the release notes:

"general improvements to autopilot"

instead of repeating x-5 version old release notes over and over again. Sorry, but there is no good reason why Tesla is not providing at least high level release notes.

Actually, autopilot doesn't get changed all that often. If an update takes less than about 50 minutes to install, pretty much guaranteed no changes to autopilot since it takes at a minimum about 30 minutes just to update the autopilot module.

Going from 2.16.31 all the way to 2.26.103 only incremented the actual autopilot firmware from 8.2.0 to 8.2.3. (This update took 72 minutes to install) Yes, autopilot has its own internal firmware version... pretty sure I mentioned that here before.

So in short, these little updates are NOT improvements to autopilot.

Lookup what happened with Smart Air Suspension in 2013 after a media freakout about a car hitting a tow hook. Tesla admitted that even though chances of it happening again were astronomical, they still disabled it to show that they are proactively doing something. They never put that in any release notes, nor even admitted they are doing it on purpose when the first few owners contacted them about why Air Suspension doesn't work anymore while driving (it worked while parked and raised back up when driving) - this is so people don't skip the update. I asked for a refund of my Air Suspension and all I got back is "sorry, we don't do that". I came close to declaring my car a lemon as it was brand new and service center couldn't " fix" the air suspension which under my state law would qualify as a lemon car. SAS got re-enabled months later after the titanium plate retrofit. Bottom line, it is not at all unlikely that given enough media pressure, Tesla will disable auto-pilot, pretend they don't know what happened, then tell you they are working on a solution with some deadline they are going to blow by months.
You are stoking my upgrade paranoia. I think I'll hold off a bit for the three reasons I gave earlier.

Reactions: davidc18
The difference is that there are no features in question that don't appear on other cars. TACC is nothing but ACC and nobody is blaming it for anything directly. People are blaming "autopilot" as a whole but it would be hard to make a case that Tesla shouldn't have ACC when so many other cars do, and have had it for over a decade. Since Tesla was explicit in statements that it may not sense certain things including those above a certain level, it's hard to say it's not working as designed. Even at that, there's a general disclaimer that active emergency braking will merely slow the car down at that speed, not stop it. Considering how many versions of ACC aren't designed to stop a car under any circumstances, Tesla could modify it by making it worse, but if they propose doing so since it would match what others are doing, they could simultaneously question how that obviously acceptable solution would make things safer. At most, they could be asked to claim it may not stop the car but they already do that.

As for auto steer, it's merely lane keeping. It's a specific form of lane keeping called lane centering and is also offered by other manufacturers. In the two recent cases in which autopilot was questioned, one kept the car perfectly on course, and the other turned out not to be on autopilot. There are a few changes Tesla could make. They could make autosteer worse and claim that it's now like lane keeping in other cars, but again the question would be why making it less accurate would be better for the driver. They could change the system so that the check for hands on the wheel remains the same, except it's also done when autopilot is off. In the latter case, it could turn it on, give the hands message, and then do what it currently does if the driver continues not to touch the steering wheel. Critics would argue that Tesla would be keeping autopilot on more, not less, but there is a compelling case that it would be safer and may have prevented the accident that turned out not to be related to autopilot being in use. Finally, they could check far more frequently whether the driver is holding the wheel. However, accidents due to inattentiveness happen all the time, and in virtually all cases, the driver's hands are on the wheel. Keeping hands on the wheel won't prevent a person from looking at the console to change the audio selection or dial a phone call or falling asleep or watching a DVD on a portable player. Having an extra distraction that does nothing but make the driver look down at messages more often won't help. The car currently goes by pressure, not touch, so I get the warning regularly anyway, When I get it, I hold the wheel more firmly and put pressure one way or the other. It doesn't make me safer and often I won't react until I hear a beep even though my hands are on the wheel.

The bottom line is that the only difference between what Tesla is doing and what others are doing is that Tesla is doing a far better job at lane centering. There's no case to be made that it should be disabled in Tesla cars but not others. There is a strong case that could be made that US trucks are inherently unsafe without any guards on the sides, as in other countries. When the story broke about the Florida accident, I was in Vietnam. I noticed that all trucks there without exception had side protection that would prevent a car from ending up under a truck. Not all were built to the same standard, but the absolute weakest standard is in the US where they aren't required at all. If Vietnam can afford it, it's hard to make a case that the US can't.
I appreciate what you are saying but want to point out an issue with your line of reasoning, where you take autopilot and factor its functionality into TACC and lane keeping, pointing out that each are separately harmless. Looking at TACC in isolation it's harmless because the driver needs to pay attention to the road to steer. Looking at lane keeping in isolation it's harmless because the driver needs to pay attention to the road to maintain distance. But put the two together and the driver does not need to pay attention to the road at all for the car to function: the foolish driver can watch Harry Potter on his DVD. It's the combination of the two together that allows the possibility of driver disengagement. So when TACC and lane keeping are operating together, each must meet a higher standard of safety and corner case detection than when they each only operate in isolation.

Don't get me wrong: I am very much for personal responsibility and the Darwinian culling of idiots. When I drive with AP I am always scanning for situations that I think could make the system fail. I believe nags are a waste that don't add to safety and I would eliminate them entirely. But I am trying to think the way an overprotective regulator would in order to anticipate what those regulators might do.

Actually, autopilot doesn't get changed all that often. If an update takes less than about 50 minutes to install, pretty much guaranteed no changes to autopilot since it takes at a minimum about 30 minutes just to update the autopilot module.

Going from 2.16.31 all the way to 2.26.103 only incremented the actual autopilot firmware from 8.2.0 to 8.2.3. (This update took 72 minutes to install) Yes, autopilot has its own internal firmware version... pretty sure I mentioned that here before.

So in short, these little updates are NOT improvements to autopilot.

Doesn't autopilot get side updates to "tiles". Where these "tile" updates contain lane-steering mapping information? So your autopilot could be updating fairly regularly even though the actual "code" doesn't.

Firmware 7.1

As to release notes I use this wiki to see what changed.

Model S software/firmware changelog

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex D
There are a few major differences here. The car was working as designed, the tow hook and SAS were both legitimate concerns, and it was a matter of fixing it. Other cars lowered suspensions too, possibly not to the same degree and without the specific vulnerability that Tesla had. With the recent autopilot cases, in one autopilot wasn't being used. In the other, autosteer worked perfectly and wasn't a contributing factor. TACC worked as designed and is up to the same standards as in other vehicles. Had there been a specific feature that actively caused an accident, Tesla could consider disabling that feature. But if a case can be made at all for anything, it's that Tesla should enable checking for more factors, such as a truck body. Not recognizing a truck isn't a feature that can be disabled.

My point was the precedent - media panic on a very unlikely event causes Tesla to over-react by disabling a loosely related feature until they can figure out what to do. Note that the same, or maybe slightly bigger tow hook would likely have caused damage whether in low or standard height, so keeping the car in standard height made little to no difference, but Tesla media relations needed to tell the media they are doing something proactively. In this case, there is much closer relationship between the use of auto-pilot and the media panic. As a side note, as much as AP is working as described to those who read all the details in the manual and warning screens, for the rest of the users the fact that it works so well can lead them to trust it much more than they should, and then BAM! Accident... And then comes the media....

You are stoking my upgrade paranoia. I think I'll hold off a bit for the three reasons I gave earlier.
Well, this may make you even more paranoid - when Tesla disabled auto-pilot in Hong Kong last year they did it without users agreeing to the update, just happened overnight without any user confirmation. I think they got it back recently, but the point is Tesla has a backdoor today so they can update without your permission (maybe a result of people refusing SAS updates after SAS disabling in 2013?). If Tesla decides to disable AP in the US, it will likely happen the way it happened in Hong Kong.