Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since none of it is documented by Tesla, it may be a secret handshake. ;)

Then again, some have suggested in various threads that the additional brake hold-down and "wait for the T" enables some sort of more robust reboot. IDK that for a fact, and have never seen more than supposition here on TMC regarding it that I believe to be credible. When I queried the Tesla 800# about it, they said the sequence they suggested was important. Since it happened shortly after I took delivery, and it worked better than the simpler "hold both buttons until reboot" I had found in TMC threads and tried multiple times without success, I was too much of a noobie to ask more questions. Now, that more complete process is what I generally follow if I'm parked even though my perception is it takes a few more moments to accomplish. Only when I need to reboot while driving -- generally because of an Infotainment oddity -- Oh Hum -- do I use the short-hand on-the-fly reboot process. (I could draw analogies how I occasionally used one of a couple different IPL sequences that took different amounts of time and did slightly different things reloading/refreshing parts of firmware before reloading the OS in my IBM mainframe days, but hey, that would date me way too much and most of the young 'uns reading this wouldn't care what I was talking about anyway. :rolleyes:)
Yes, and I use both the quick and long reboot techniques depending on the issue. It was just the added engagement of the brake that was new to me and I'll be sure to try that "secret handshake" next time. Who knows maybe I'll get some extra HP or Rated Range out of it. :)

I have a loaner and got an update notice, presumably to 2.28.19, with no service center visit for over 48 hours prior. Since this is such a widely distributed update maybe it’s just updating all cars to the new Tesla.com website name.

BTW, no way to search this site for " 2.28.19 “, that’s “too short” a keyword.

What is the quick and the long reboot technique?
Quick is just holding down the button until it reboots.
Long is to continue to hold it down until the Tesla "T" appears on the screen (this might mean holding it down for ~20 seconds or so).
The @BertL method that he was instructed to do by Tesla Service is the "long" method plus keeping your foot on the break.

Reactions: Alex D
I could draw analogies how I occasionally used one of a couple different IPL sequences that took different amounts of time and did slightly different things reloading/refreshing parts of firmware before reloading the OS in my IBM mainframe days, but hey, that would date me way too much and most of the young 'uns reading this wouldn't care what I was talking about anyway

I am in my early 30s and regularly plan on IPLs to recycle my CICS regions ;)

• Love
Reactions: BertL
You mean "Features:" "Consumer Reports" "Actually Useful"?

(haha kidding!)
Eh, I felt the same way before CRs report came out. Too many times I've met owners who say "My summon stopped working", who then have this on and are trying to use the fob. The setting should be description of the key component, which is the activation source, not whether you press it continuously or not. One could argue continuous press should be a continuous press of the fob, but that's not how it works. Oh well.

Reactions: MP3Mike
It turns out that the Gyro was disabled on my car to "fix" the issue instead of actually fixing anything; however, the service center has reproduced reverse GPS issue on their loaners so the ticket will definitely get some attention from development.
This GPS reverse issue is still not fixed! It has been there since February 7.1 (2.12.22) firmware update

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: msnow
If it's firmware why are only some (a few?) impacted?
I guess not everybody is noticing the bug. It needs specific conditions to occur, like driving more than 10 meters (35 feet) in reverse, combined with sub-optimal satellite reception. I reverse 30 meters (100 feet) daily out of my underground parking and cannot reproduce the bug every time.

• Informative
Reactions: msnow
With a bit of speculation from my part as to how far along the Ludicrous upgrade my car currently is:

It has been upgraded to 2.26.150 by the Service Center a few hours ago, after they possibly reinstalled the battery and revived the beast as of noon today. It was previously on 2.24.102.

Curious that I didn't get the latest (2.28.19) that everyone else seems to be getting these days...

With a bit of speculation from my part as to how far along the Ludicrous upgrade my car currently is:

It has been upgraded to 2.26.150 by the Service Center a few hours ago, after they possibly reinstalled the battery and revived the beast as of noon today. It was previously on 2.24.102.

Curious that I didn't get the latest (2.28.19) that everyone else seems to be getting these days...
If they keep it in the Service Center long enough you might get 8.0 ;).

Last edited: