Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the map znib, pretty cool! So guys, keep in mind that just because there is geofence data, doesn't mean that will meet the trigger criteria. The car sends the facility ID when you enter the respective set of coordinates. Not all facility ID's may trigger the update.

Also, I say it again for the umpteenth time: Just because you enter a geofence, it doesn't automatically mean you will qualify for an update! All it does is accelerate your priority.

By the way, X and S run the exact same software. You will not get a different version if you are on a different model. There is a config bit that controls whether you have a model X or S GUI.

One of my cars just got the 2.30.33 update this morning. I'll dissect it later today and let everyone know which systems were updated. It does look quite a bit larger than the last one.

Thanks for the map znib, pretty cool! So guys, keep in mind that just because there is geofence data, doesn't mean that will meet the trigger criteria. The car sends the facility ID when you enter the respective set of coordinates. Not all facility ID's may trigger the update.

Also, I say it again for the umpteenth time: Just because you enter a geofence, it doesn't automatically mean you will qualify for an update! All it does is accelerate your priority.

By the way, X and S run the exact same software. You will not get a different version if you are on a different model. There is a config bit that controls whether you have a model X or S GUI.

One of my cars just got the 2.30.33 update this morning. I'll dissect it later today and let everyone know which systems were updated. It does look quite a bit larger than the last one.
Then how did this happen? An S got X firmware installed and an update didn't fix it.
Firmware 7.1

For Canadians with 3G issues on 2.28.19 I just emailed service, today was utterly a mess and I even tried the geofence trick at Lawrence SC no update (but thanks for the SC boost 1/2 way across Toronto in about 5 minutes [at over 65% SOC already] and the look at some new noses and Model Xs : )

Observation:

This thread has turned into:

1. Confirmed, driving by service center triggers an update! (I think we all pretty much understand that now, IMHO no more confirmation needed).
2. Service Center Geofencing.

Right. Like when I asked how the AP tile data works in conjunction with what the car's sensors detect, I didn't get an answer. Instead there have been pages and pages of people who got an update by driving to the service center. I have given up on trying to get useful information about my Model S on these forums. The noise is too high. It's a shame because the forums used to be so good.

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
Right. Like when I asked how the AP tile data works in conjunction with what the car's sensors detect, I didn't get an answer. Instead there have been pages and pages of people who got an update by driving to the service center. I have given up on trying to get useful information about my Model S on these forums. The noise is too high. It's a shame because the forums used to be so good.
That's a good question but my guess is nobody really knows the answer to it. Maybe @wk057 or @Ingineer but that's it for a question like that on this forum.

Again, the Model S and X run the exact same code. It's just the options that differ. I can only assume there are bugs if some model X features showed up on an S.

I don't know how the ADAS tiles work. If someone is interested in doing some analysis, I'll be happy to give you some data to play with.

The malls and retail locations may have demo MS that Tesla wants to keep current with the latest and greatest which would make sense to me. Also e.g. at one store location near me you have to walk quite a ways from the store to the garage where the demo units are located. Other locations I've seen pictures of have Superchargers in difference locations from that. I suspect the variations just gives Tesla options -- as to if they are as effective as they could be, and the exact reason why some malls are fully-covered and others are more specific, well, that's their's to say but I suspect it comes down to the human factor -- not something that has overly-thought-out and consistent logic. After all, the list of geofenced locations that was kindly mined and provided to us here, isn't widely distributed for consumer consumption and Tesla hasn't even officially stated this geofencing thing is in place for our use. It's really there for Tesla's benefit I suspect. ;)
What's odd is that I drive through the King of Prussia Mall geo fence every day when taking the clover leaf from 76W to 422W, and this has never triggered an update.

What's odd is that I drive through the King of Prussia Mall geo fence every day when taking the clover leaf from 76W to 422W, and this has never triggered an update.
;) ...and as had been said a number of times in this thread, is just because one goes in or through the geofence does not ensure an update is delivered to each and every vehicle. Tesla still owns the secrets to the detail of their firmware distribution logic.

;) ...and as had been said a number of times in this thread, is just because one goes in or through the geofence does not ensure an update is delivered to each and every vehicle. Tesla still owns the secrets to the detail of their firmware distribution logic.

This was confirmed by my SvC manager... your S or X only gets an update if the Tesla servers deem it necessary for your particular VIN. The Geofence logic could possibly be used at Superchargers some time in the future with the Model 3 to either allow or invoke a pay dialog for Supercharger access. Time will tell.

In any case, while at my SvC yesterday, I did not prompt a download. So I must be "up to date" for my VIN.

Local Service Centre called and let me know that we're all impacted across Canada and they're "working on a fix"...

I am getting fear of forking here :eek:
I came to check if anyone else was having 3G issues. Ugh. Of all the bugs in the past, why did this one have to pop back up. I don't understand why Telsa keeps having issues with basic 3G connectivity. It reminds me of the Firmware 6x issues... except that one only lost 3G when the car slept. There would be this major delay before it finally reconnects. This bug causes it to drop at random times while I'm driving, for 5-10 minutes.

In the spirit of sharing more data to reverse engineer the entire patch process:

I stopped by the Sunnyvale SC yesterday after seeing Ingineer's post about a new build. Parked and stayed in the lot (within the geofence) for about 5 minutes then left. I noticed the tell-tale extremely laggy interface so assumed it was hard at work as Ingineer has described in the past. I did not receive the update notification as of 9:00 AM PST today.

Last edited:
In the spirit of sharing more data to reverse engineering the entire patch process:

I stopped by the Sunnyvale SC yesterday after seeing Ingineer's post about a new build. Parked and stayed in the lot (within the geofence) for about 5 minutes then left. I noticed the tell-tale extremely laggy interface so assumed it was hard at work as Ingineer has described in the past. I did not receive the update notification as of 9:00 AM PST today.

Hah I did the same thing yesterday. Did you see a black S70D in the visitor section?

(Also did not receive an update)

If you could describe your two cars' configs (delivery month, RWD/AWD and battery size) it would be really helpful!

Thanks for the map znib, pretty cool!

Welcome, but your part, extracting the .json file, was much bigger than writing my little script and uploading the .kml to google maps. :-D

Of course the map will outdate quickly if they open new service centers, so if you happen to see that this .json file gets updated, feel free to send it to me and I'll update the map. Some people here seem to like driving to the service centers to get an update. :-D

2.30.33 updated the following systems (from 2.28.75):

CID (Center Display)
IC (Instrument Cluster)
Gateway
Battery Management
Charger Main Control
Charger Phases
Charge Port
Drive Inverter(s)
Pedal Monitor
Thermal Control
Sunroof (Pano) Control
Driver Assistance features (NOT Autopilot)
Audio DSP

Thanks for the dissection Ingineer. Anyone noticing anything interesting yet?
I'm still on 2.28.19, but if inspired by your observations, then I may stop waiting and just start hacking instead.

• Funny
Reactions: msnow