Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They need to fix the rear dome lights.

The fronts fade out, but the rears switch off immediately. Not consistent.

Consider the possibility that that's by design. You don't want lights directly visible to the driver to flash on immediately, since it could induce temporary flash-blindness white the iris adjusts. Better to fade on or off.

Although I agree that given that they do that in the front, it's probably best to do in the back as well.

There's nothing really noticeable in any of these that makes it worth wasting time to worry about. I'll let everyone know if I see anything cool.

They seem to be constantly tweaking little things, but no major AutoPilot updates since before 2.20ish (we are currently at AP version 8.2.3). The Driver Assistance code can update simple parameters, such as control loop tuning, braking, following distance, etc, but there have been no AP algorithm changes. Most of the observed improvements are likely do to the fleet learning (tiles) being developed better as well.

Is it reasonable to assume that if I live in a very low-Tesla-density area that there's likely to be very little fleet learning going on that will benefit me?
It would seem to me it will take longer to see benefit, yes. There are no fully autonomous Tesla's doing the work, and Tesla's fleet learning likely does not benefit from what other companies mapping and photo vans accomplish. Perhaps you should start taking different routes when possible to help fleet learning in your area, and therefore provide you longer-term benefit as well. ;)

I installed .32 last night.
From driving it this morning, my autopilot steering was so much better coming from .19. It was very precise, smooth, and predictable.
.19 was always hunting while traveling on the freeways.

This was my experience as well... .19 was having some pretty significant challenges with autopilot behavior. It seemed less stable than what my car was picked up with in June. Driving in this morning after the .32 update was the smoothest my A.P. had performed since I got the vehicle. So, so happy with my Tesla.

Reactions: ZoomFPV
Is it reasonable to assume that if I live in a very low-Tesla-density area that there's likely to be very little fleet learning going on that will benefit me?

I've examined the tile cache of some cars used in pretty isolated areas, and I'm surprised how much is in there. Just because you don't see the other Teslas, doesn't mean they aren't just over the next ridge driving the same road as you! =)

Reactions: spottyq
Perhaps you should start taking different routes when possible to help fleet learning in your area, and therefore provide you longer-term benefit as well. ;)
That depends on whether they pay attention to data that comes from only one car. There's a good chance they don't, since such data
is of negligible statistical value. I suppose it's possible that if I drive the same route repeatedly that will log enough "independent" info
for them to pay attention to it. But it's certainly not going to be like Highway 85 in Silicon Valley where they've got 15 data points for each
square centimeter of the road ;)

I just got 2.32.23 applied! I am pretty confident I'm seeing two minor changes from my 2.28.75:

- Further enhancements to Dolby surround mode: it now sounds even less tinny and allows for more bass. Still slightly less bass than with Surround Off. It now has a different overall effect of causing vocals to appear from the center speaker while instrumentals come from the side. This is similar to what Bang and Olufsen calls "cinema" mode in their settings: it simulates having a performer front and center while instruments come from the edges of the sound stage. Finally there are some tracks where they sound richer and fuller in surround than in normal mode. It seems like someone at the mothership finally took notice of how much Dolby used to suck! This would be the first firmware where I would recommend trying out Surround mode at all

- Less motoring whine: ever since I took delivery of my S70D a month and a half ago, I thought the motor was subjectively loud. Especially when motoring at around the 10kW mark (slowly maintaining or increasing speed at 20-40mph), there's a very noticeable high pitched whine. It doesn't sound like the switching frequency, but rather sounds like the motoring AC frequency that is fully under Tesla's control. (In a past life I worked on military AC motor control, so I have some expertise in this area). Now with this update, it seems like the car is picking higher frequencies under that 10kW workload. Much less irritating.

Well, the firmware definitely supports those 2 possibilities. I'll try to notice that. I haven't even had Dolby on at all because it sucked so bad.

Yeah I felt the same way.

I work on consumer electronics and love reading what customers think changed in a release (since I've got full inside knowledge of what actually changed). I'd like to believe I'm better at not imagining placebo effect changes, but who knows! Those two things are definitely very noticeable for me in this release. AP lane tracking performance is soooo varied that I'm not at all confident about whether that's been changed in the past few releases.

They seem to be constantly tweaking little things, but no major AutoPilot updates since before 2.20ish (we are currently at AP version 8.2.3). The Driver Assistance code can update simple parameters, such as control loop tuning, braking, following distance, etc, but there have been no AP algorithm changes. Most of the observed improvements are likely do to the fleet learning (tiles) being developed better as well.
I can confirm this, because ALL of the "enhancements" people claim to have received to autopilot since they moved from 7.0 to 7.1 are things that I have received as well without any update. (Hence why the "AP is so much better on 7.1, I can't believe you're still on 7.0" arguments have held no traction with me.)

I also had a Tesla engineer relay recently that autopilot has not changed at all since 7.0, just messages and such.

I can confirm this, because ALL of the "enhancements" people claim to have received to autopilot since they moved from 7.0 to 7.1 are things that I have received as well without any update. (Hence why the "AP is so much better on 7.1, I can't believe you're still on 7.0" arguments have held no traction with me.)

I also had a Tesla engineer relay recently that autopilot has not changed at all since 7.0, just messages and such.
Some things had to change in addition to new tiles. Jason noted several version upgrades over the last several months. Of course I can't say with any proof what they are but definately smoother. Once you come over from the dark side you'll see what I mean ;).