Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had 2.36.31 fail on me today, I am getting a message "software update required Unable to start car". I was able to make it home, cruise control did not work. The car will not currently go into drive. I contacted Tesla and they are re-pushing an update to the car. Hopefully I will get the alert soon that it is ready and the install goes fine this time. Otherwise they are going to have to tow the car to the service center.

What is the compulsory force at work here?
For me personally, having more detailed release notes could be a number of things e.g.
  • Safety. In case some automation or function I was used to operating a certain way was changed. (Fortunately, Tesla appears to note at least the big ticket items we are told about, but with lots of blank space on the other updates, it does make one question "what changed" or if I need to know about it.)
  • Firmware Fixes. Tesla provides no notification to owners that an acknowledged firmware bug is EVER fixed, especially when the owner has officially reported it to a SvC. I have a growing list of service record items that say "to be resolved in a future firmware release", without any ETA, so now I try to go back through my list and re-test each item whenever I receive a new firmware update to see if something has been resolved -- all because I believe a mfgr should treat acknowledged firmware bugs like they do resolving hardware problems. Having a list of what chnaged, or at least what areas had "minor fixes and improvements" narrows my work... it's why I thank @Ingineer every time he provides a module list -- it's SO much better than nothing.
  • Just because I'm an inquisitive kinda guy ...and would like to understand or make use of things that have been tweaked for improved usability that perhaps I had previously dismissed and don't use, etc.

I'm sure some others who question some of our asking for just a little more official detail, either may not care, or have a different set of reasons why some minimal release notes would or would not be of value.

Last edited:
I had 2.36.31 fail on me today, I am getting a message "software update required Unable to start car". I was able to make it home, cruise control did not work. The car will not currently go into drive. I contacted Tesla and they are re-pushing an update to the car. Hopefully I will get the alert soon that it is ready and the install goes fine this time. Otherwise they are going to have to tow the car to the service center.

The new update did apply OK after it was re-pushed by Tesla support.

What is the compulsory force at work here?
To know what's new or changed. Did they improve the sound system? Did they finally fix the range algorithm, will I get my missing rated miles back? Is there a new feature I can utilize? Many of us here have a technical background so that's part of it but if I install a new operating system on my Mac or iPhone it's interesting to follow the improvement path. I'm sure there are others that don't care.

No question it is nice/convenient/etc. to have more detail on what's changed, but it doesn't seem like the absence of that detailed
info is an inconvenience to most owners -- just an annoyance to a relative few. Maybe Tesla needs to establish the ownership
equivalent of a "power user" :)

2.36.31 is being super aggressively rolled out to the entire fleet. It contains new firmware security stuff that I believe is a point of no return. In other words, once you upgrade to that, there is no going back. Not sure why they decided to do this before 8.0 officially rolls out. The 8.0 betas do no contain this.

I wonder if the security change is related to this report:

No question it is nice/convenient/etc. to have more detail on what's changed, but...
This has been discussed many times before. Can any of you imagine being the Tesla manager who has to explain to Elon that the software got pushed a day late because they were getting the release notes right? Or that they hired a docs guy instead of an engineer because somebody has to do the release notes? Or that they're getting lots of phone calls from angry owners because there was something wrong or confusing in the release notes? And then there's the lawsuits when they're wrong.

Tesla really doesn't work that way. Engineering is king. Communications is way, way down the list. Me, I'd love detailed, accurate release notes; but I don't want Tesla spending any time at all producing them. And it's pretty certain that nothing is the cheapest and easiest thing to produce, and the absence of release notes annoys only the geeks like me.

Reactions: LargeHamCollider
No question it is nice/convenient/etc. to have more detail on what's changed, but it doesn't seem like the absence of that detailed
info is an inconvenience to most owners -- just an annoyance to a relative few. Maybe Tesla needs to establish the ownership
equivalent of a "power user" :)
It's not an "inconvenience" nor is it just a "few". It's a common complaint around here from people that are interested in technology or simply want to know what changed or is fixed.

I wonder if the security change is related to this report:

In my semi-informed opinion I don't think it's that kind of security. I think it's more of the "we don't want you to load on your own firmware / hack / jailbreak the firmware" kind of security (e.g. To prevent against the Charlie Miller style attacks where hooking up a laptop and carrying out a local attack allows you to override random driver inputs from a computer. Or... to prevent the community from tinkering and extracting geofence coordinates... Depending on how cynical you are :D)

It's not an "inconvenience" nor is it just a "few". It's a common complaint around here from people that are interested in technology or simply want to know what changed or is fixed.

As has been pointed out a number of times recently (maybe in this thread, maybe somewhere else I'm reading), the TMC membership (or even "the more vocal part of the TMC membership") isn't necessarily reflective of the Tesla owner population in general. I'm a bit of a fanatic about release notes myself, being an engineer and a generally inquisitive person. (Also I wrote most of FreeBSD's release notes for something like 6 years, so well-written release documentation is a joy to behold for me.) But I wouldn't say that my viewpoint is shared by a majority of Tesla owners (I'm not saying it's *not* shared either...just don't know).

A good portion of engineering is (or should be) documenting the thing that you built, so the case that someone mentioned upthread about hiring a doc person instead of an engineer might actually be a good thing. This is pure speculation based on zero evidence, but I'm guessing and hoping that Tesla does maintain release notes for every build, even if these documents are stamped "TESLA CONFIDENTIAL" and never get seen by the public.

Bruce.

2.36.31 is a security patch. That is why it was rolled out across the fleet so quickly. It has nothing to do with 8.0. Here is the quote from Tesla:

Tesla issued this statement to The Verge:

Within just 10 days of receiving this report, Tesla has already deployed an over-the-air software update (v7.1, 2.36.31) that addresses the potential security issues. The issue demonstrated is only triggered when the web browser is used, and also required the car to be physically near to and connected to a malicious wifi hotspot. Our realistic estimate is that the risk to our customers was very low, but this did not stop us from responding quickly.

We engage with the security research community to test the security of our products so that we can fix potential vulnerabilities before they result in issues for our customers. We commend the research team behind today’s demonstration and plan to reward them under our bug bounty program, which was set up to encourage this type of research.

From an article in The Verge
Car hackers demonstrate wireless attack on Tesla Model S