Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GMF1tUN.jpg

Oh man every time I see those pics, I almost have tears in my eyes. Not of nostalgia, but more like - Oh what I'd give to get that view back.

I always found 6 to 7 (and even 7 to leaked 8) to be huge aesthetic upgrades matching my taste. I also find most of what functionality improvements we classic owners have got since 6 indispensable. In spite of that, the UI changes (placement and content of info) are a big enough downgrade for me that they almost balance out, if not outweigh, both aesthetic and functionality improvements combined.

How does Tesla have such limited resources outside autopilot and yet they are spent almost entirely on just improving the aesthetics! It seems almost everyone - Elon, owners, prospective customers - already finds the UI aesthetics to be beautiful enough. Sure, change is refreshing and welcome, but at the expense of extremely popular minor feature gaps and UI change requests?

Reactions: pnaecker
Everytime I feel like complaining about our 3 year old car not getting these new fancy updates, I go out to the garage and look at our 3 year old VW Golf that is the same feature wise (except for an emissions scandal) as the day I drove it off the lot.

Can't even begin to say that about the Tesla that has at least a dozen new features that it did not have the day we bought it.

Like hill hold, geo referenced height adjustment, trip planner, backup lines, auto open and close garage doors, better performance, valet mode, open the charge port from the fob, and the list goes on and on.

If we "only" get an overhauled infotainment system I'll be delighted.

I would like to be able to see the high beam indicator from my preferred seating position again though. ;)

I'm pretty excited about this update. Certainly more so than I was for 7.0. I think this version looks considerably better than 7. A much more appealing take on the flat UI.

New trip meter config options look to be a plus. I wonder if the new media player will finally support gapless playback (like every other media player since forever).

Reactions: Cyclone
OTA firmware upgrade is one of the major USPs for Teslas. It is also one of the top few advertised features. I'm sure it is mentioned to every single prospective owner, in every single test drive, in every single review. It also contributes, not insignificantly, to the buy-a-Tesla decision. I don't think we should just be grateful that we're getting any firmware update at all comparing to other cars. It would be OK to feel that way if Tesla never promised any updates, but then delivered one surprising everyone.

They cannot have it both ways.

Unlike other manufacturers (when my P85 was delivered in early 2013), Tesla promised free software updates for the life of the car. This is something other manufacturers are moving towards in their newer "smart" cars. So, Tesla set the expectation that Model S/X owners would continue to see improvements - which they really needed to do, given the limited functionality present when the first Model S cars were delivered.

What's surprising is that 4 years later, we are still dealing with limited navigation and media player apps - that look great on the displays, but lack many useful features - plus smartphone integration (other than the calendar integration) is very limited - and, the software still has many bugs (autoplaying USB overnight or losing radio presets).

At some point, Tesla will have to address these limitations & quality problems - especially when the infotainment software could become of more interest to potential owners when other manufacturers are delivering long range EVs (Bolt?).

However... Over the last 4 years, each major software release typically has a primary focus - and outside of that primary focus, there have been few or small improvements. In the first year, most of the improvements were on sleep mode and energy management. The last two years, they've focused on rolling out and now improving AP.

While I'm hopeful 8.0 will be different, and we'll finally see some major improvements to the software originally delivered on our car 4 years ago, based on the prior releases, we may be disappointed - again.

Unlike other manufacturers (when my P85 was delivered in early 2013), Tesla promised free software updates for the life of the car. This is something other manufacturers are moving towards in their newer "smart" cars. So, Tesla set the expectation that Model S/X owners would continue to see improvements - which they really needed to do, given the limited functionality present when the first Model S cars were delivered.

What's surprising is that 4 years later, we are still dealing with limited navigation and media player apps - that look great on the displays, but lack many useful features - plus smartphone integration (other than the calendar integration) is very limited - and, the software still has many bugs (autoplaying USB overnight or losing radio presets).

At some point, Tesla will have to address these limitations & quality problems - especially when the infotainment software could become of more interest to potential owners when other manufacturers are delivering long range EVs (Bolt?).

However... Over the last 4 years, each major software release typically has a primary focus - and outside of that primary focus, there have been few or small improvements. In the first year, most of the improvements were on sleep mode and energy management. The last two years, they've focused on rolling out and now improving AP.

While I'm hopeful 8.0 will be different, and we'll finally see some major improvements to the software originally delivered on our car 4 years ago, based on the prior releases, we may be disappointed - again.
YOU may be disappointed. Let's not convey personal opinions as WE. I'm in crowd that thinks tesla's big differentiators plus continuous updates outshine these complaints. Do I need to enumerate the things a tesla does that other cars don't? @Theshadows did nice job of listing important improvements. Other makers are "moving towards" this. Yes. Largely because tesla has done for years.

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
New Everytime I feel like complaining about our 3 year old car not getting these new fancy updates, I go out to the garage and look at our 3 year old VW Golf that is the same feature wise (except for an emissions scandal) as the day I drove it off the lot.

Can't even begin to say that about the Tesla that has at least a dozen new features that it did not have the day we bought it.

Other than losing Auto-Homelink, I'd be ecstatic over taking 6.2 back. I started at 6.2 and my car has gained a feature, but ergonomically speaking, it had "features" of good UI taken away, not added. But part of buying a Tesla is accepting the car will change (for better or worse). Thankfully, the UI style in agnostic about. I don't care if the elements are flat or shadowed, I don't care if we have text descriptions or just icons, I don't care if we have the top row of icons always showing or not. But I do care to see what my HVAC controls are set to instead of "Custom", I do care to see my idiot lights, etc. Maybe I'm just being grumpy in my early 30s lol

I'm just happy they're finally doing something with the media player. It looks like no major new features, but at least it got touched. Perhaps it's a sign they're starting to realize how bad it is, and how far behind the competition they are there.

The only other thing on my wish list, really, is for the SOC to stop being hidden behind lane guidance. Seriously. Stop that. Now. The SOC is hidden for about 80% of my commute, and most of the time around town. Not cool. My wife's been driving it and called me last week to ask me how you find out how much charge it has. "It used to be by the speed? Where'd it go?"

That, to me, is the clearest indication (besides Elon asking for 7.1 UI improvement suggestions from us and never delivering) that Tesla doesn't really care at all about non-AP cars. We'll get whatever changes can be sourced from the AP cars, but they're not going to spend any time fixing anything for us. I can't say I blame them, but it does suck.

The only other thing on my wish list, really, is for the SOC to stop being hidden behind lane guidance. Seriously. Stop that. Now. The SOC is hidden for about 80% of my commute, and most of the time around town. Not cool. My wife's been driving it and called me last week to ask me how you find out how much charge it has. "It used to be by the speed? Where'd it go?"

That, to me, is the clearest indication (besides Elon asking for 7.1 UI improvement suggestions from us and never delivering) that Tesla doesn't really care at all about non-AP cars. We'll get whatever changes can be sourced from the AP cars, but they're not going to spend any time fixing anything for us. I can't say I blame them, but it does suck.

I just want to mention that AP cars have this exact same issue. So maybe it will get addressed at some point.

I didn't realize that. As much as I hate to wish that annoyance on others, that means there's hope it'll be fixed.

Yeah. Non-AP SoC bar is a carry over from AP cars. Since that would have left a, gasp, "gap" below the speedo, they put in the Odometer on non-AP cars that AP-cars can only see (on the instrument cluster) via the Trips side-app. That is what led to my question above...
Reposting by popular demand/decree ;)

So it appears that in version 8, the odometer display will be selectable. If this is true for classic cars as well as AutoPilot cars (they didn't have it on the instrument cluster outside the trip meter screen), what do you think our classics will put under the car graphic on our instrument cluster? I would be ecstatic if the 6.2 SoC bar returns and is placed under the car graphic.
GMF1tUN.jpg

I really hope that the Odometer tickbox to enable/disable is NOT only for the Trip app and applies to the under-the-speedo display as well. If so, that begs the question of what would appear there.

I really don't understand why they spent time an effort on this feature. The Model S already has by far the largest on screen map of any car. Why do we need an extra inch at the expense of having convent fixed app switching icons?

Speaking for myself, the map is good when it's full screen, but I like to drive with a split screen. It seems like this adds quite a bit of nav system utility to a split screen, if the map is on top and the toolbar fades out. For the most part, I look at the map more than I navigate through the toolbar options, so I think it may be a reasonable trade-off.

Speaking for myself, the map is good when it's full screen, but I like to drive with a split screen. It seems like this adds quite a bit of nav system utility to a split screen, if the map is on top and the toolbar fades out. For the most part, I look at the map more than I navigate through the toolbar options, so I think it may be a reasonable trade-off.

I drive 90% of the time with my rear view camera on the top panel, even when I have the Nav going. I wonder how this will work. Perhaps I basically will not see the "hidden toolbar/float over toolbar" setup at all. Guess we shall see soon!

Reactions: Owner and tinm
I have modest expectations:
  • We wil get non-AP related changes like the new media app, regen, etc per the Electrek leaks
  • They will clean up the transition to the flat UI and get rid of the remaining random drop shadows and 3D icons
  • Will get curious to see what they do with the speedo: get rid of the mini-car, put the SoC back, maybe get some new widgets--I like the energy app from AP cars
TBH, at this point, any updates are upside--the SW is stable and any bugs are (for me) minor annoyances. The only thing that would get me really excited would be CarPlay support.
This is probably a pretty good list... I'm trying to keep expectations low... even around regen.. Especially since wk057 has a bench (small) and (large) drive running and if I recall he said the regen is much better on the small drive. For those of us with early RWD cars, we're large drive units... :-/
I am most curious to see what happens with the mini-car. Remember there were pre-AP cars with parking sensors only, so I wouldn't be surprised if it stays... Heck I'd be pretty stoked with stronger regen, cleaner/fresh UI, and faster overall interface. I haven't seen the list of new voice commands, anyone know what they are?

climate control.jpg

Look how informative this was!
and some guy at Tesla said,
it hurts my eyes, we must get rid of to
much information.
also ,when I have my ac set to
75 degrees (I dont like arctic air blowing
on me continuously).
and the outside air cools
by a couple degrees
the heat will kick in
Bad idea, would love to have
a button for heat on or off.
in an ice, who cares, heat is free.
but in an electric car it is a huge energy waste.