Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a chance to look at the 8.0 beta a couple of days ago. I just have two observations to share:

1. It's stupid to turn all our nice application icons to Black&White. Color is one of the ways we can quickly locate them. Please don't do that.

2. If this gets released with the ability to play songs off my USB stick broken, I'll be really pissed.

1. Colors are over-rated. :)

2. Uhh, yeah. If I suddenly don't have access to 250GB worth of music and audiobooks.... that *might* actually send me over the edge.

...2. Uhh, yeah. If I suddenly don't have access to 250GB worth of music and audiobooks.... that *might* actually send me over the edge.
If history repeats itself, and Tesla has not improved a whole lot prioritizing Owner's POV more than we've seen, 8.0 will likely be a bit of a guided discovery -- with some release notes (surely!) and maybe a new Owner's Manual (?) highlighting some of what's changed, or allowing us to do comparisons between versions (everyone has downloaded the existing owner's manual on My Tesla to maintain your own copy for that purpose, right?) -- but for me, to what degree will all the annoyances, workarounds, and wish list items we have be addressed? I'm already starting my own personal list of what I want to investigate, especially bugs I've previously reported as defects and Tesla acknowledged will be resolved in some future firmware release. I also have a to-do list item to rebuild what I consider a real USB stick like I used to use with my Lexus and MBZ, with just a few dozen sample tracks to try in my MS once a new code drop of any significance appears... vs the unique USB version I use now with 6K tracks (compliments of TeslaTunes) with gerrymandered tracks, titles and tags attempting to workaround some of the many deficiencies Media Player has. I agree though, playing my USB music is critical to my satisfaction -- at least as "good" as it is now -- but just think, maybe we'll see our own imbedded album art vs. the mostly crazy (and sometimes not G-Rated) Gracenotes album art that is randomly displayed. ;) Oh such fun it will be.

Reactions: msnow
If history repeats itself, and Tesla has not improved a whole lot prioritizing Owner's POV more than we've seen, 8.0 will likely be a bit of a guided discovery -- with some release notes (surely!) and maybe a new Owner's Manual (?) highlighting some of what's changed, or allowing us to do comparisons between versions (everyone has downloaded the existing owner's manual on My Tesla to maintain your own copy for that purpose, right?) -- but for me, to what degree will all the annoyances, workarounds, and wish list items we have be addressed? I'm already starting my own personal list of what I want to investigate, especially bugs I've previously reported as defects and Tesla acknowledged will be resolved in some future firmware release. I also have a to-do list item to rebuild what I consider a real USB stick like I used to use with my Lexus and MBZ, with just a few dozen sample tracks to try in my MS once a new code drop of any significance appears... vs the unique USB version I use now with 6K tracks (compliments of TeslaTunes) with gerrymandered tracks, titles and tags attempting to workaround some of the many deficiencies Media Player has. I agree though, playing my USB music is critical to my satisfaction -- at least as "good" as it is now -- but just think, maybe we'll see our own imbedded album art vs. the mostly crazy (and sometimes not G-Rated) Gracenotes album art that is randomly displayed. ;) Oh such fun it will be.

Bert,

If you recall, back when we did the 7.1 voting, we basically gave Tesla a software dev roadmap. I will be genuinely surprised/dissapointed if the top voted features (that did not require hardware), do not make it into 8.

And with regards to your hacks to your USB media, I had to partition all my storage media so that I could have suedo "playlist support". So I certainly feel your pain on that. I am really hoping they hotlink the Album / Artist / Year track info so that pressing it, queues a match for next song in the current playlist. That and search support.

As far as I remember, the top requested feature was carplay/android auto. Lets hope 8.0 brings that and more :)

I still don't think that will happen. I know it was, literally, the top rated feature IIRC. I do think we'll see a dozen low-hanging fruit features added along with their own bag of tricks. There is nothing wrong with low-hanging fruit BTW, those suggestions were popular because people wanted them.

If you recall, back when we did the 7.1 voting, we basically gave Tesla a software dev roadmap. I will be genuinely surprised/dissapointed if the top voted features (that did not require hardware), do not make it into 8.

Members have been running polls about most requested software features on here for as long as I can remember (at least the last 3 years). I've never seen any evidence to suggest it has the slightest impact on what TM actually deliver.

Unless anyone out there already has key memory, multi-stop satnav routing or playlist support and I've not noticed?

Members have been running polls about most requested software features on here for as long as I can remember (at least the last 3 years). I've never seen any evidence to suggest it has the slightest impact on what TM actually deliver.

Unless anyone out there already has key memory, multi-stop satnav routing or playlist support and I've not noticed?

You should really look at the list. At least half a dozen requested features made it in. It could be coincidence, which would mean that Tesla has a pretty good pulse on what owners want, or it could be causation, and that would mean that Tesla listened. I would submit that either way is a win for customers.

Scrolling back through the thread and saw this. Come on, Twitter. Get it together. iOS-style flat design is the first thing you ask for? I could think of about 30 things I care about more than a flat UI, and I generally really like the iOS UI. Just silly.

Yeah, not only that, Tesla already destroyed the UI by going way overboard on the "flat design" in the last 7.0/7.1 update (see prior threads). This guy wants more flat design? WTF? Might as well go with a monochrome monitor/touchscreen and save the cash.

Musk couldn't even meet his own deadline for Masterplan Part 2 that he was supposed to announce on Sunday. Still waiting. Version 8 will be at least 6 months away. Don't get your hopes up.

Totally agree. Maybe not six months, but not next week, either.

Remember last year when Elon tweeted that 7.1 was going to be a massive UI overhaul? And what changed? Not much.

Yeah, not only that, Tesla already destroyed the UI by going way overboard on the "flat design" in the last 7.0/7.1 update (see prior threads). This guy wants more flat design? WTF? Might as well go with a monochrome monitor/touchscreen and save the cash.
They can simulate that by doing some type of Konami code as an Easter Egg. The person that chimed in saying he saw 8.0. There was speculation that was because it was in valet mode from the same leaked picture which would make sense to grey out all those icons.

Totally agree. Maybe not six months, but not next week, either.

I think everyone is on the same page about this haha, agree here too.

Remember last year when Elon tweeted that 7.1 was going to be a massive UI overhaul? And what changed? Not much.

I think what sounds reasonable is that 7.1 became a dedicated update to improve/add on to autopilot (since it came out like 2 months later, why wait to release it) and they've just delayed the UI update until 8.0.

I'd like to point out that the image of 8.0 published was very limited in what it told us partially because only one was released. And contrary to translated information from the thread, practically nothing was even said by the original poster about the update. I'm pretty sure the translated list of facts about the features was just speculation summarized from the thread at large. Finally something that the original poster did say (prior to posting the image) was that he had seen the update, not that he had the update. To me this sounds like even he didn't know much about it. He even later posted images of versions before 8.0.

I know I don't have all the information available but just by doing a bit of fact checking, I'd say we still know very little about 8.0.

There was speculation that was because it was in valet mode from the same leaked picture which would make sense to grey out all those icons.
This actually makes a lot of sense, and a feature that I would really like. Almost every time I use Valet mode, I forget to shut it off after, driving away under-powered. A grey-out interface will make this really clear (either that or a huge marquee with flashing lights dancing around it saying "Valet Mode. I don't trust you to drive my car!")