Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What may be "gained" by not showing amps and volts is less user confusion and fewer frantic calls to Tesla Support. Knowing the kWh value while charging is still enough information for the user to make an informed decision as to whether they are charging at a rate consistent with their past experience at that charger or if the rate is signfiicantly less. Showing only kWh makes it easier for the AVERAGE user (not the highly technical user) to make that determination.

Cars are a mass market product that need to work well for a wide range of users. Contrast the amount of "technical" information shown to a Model S/X user compared to what is available to a Roadster user in the VDS. The Roadster has far more technical info, way more than most users need or can understand. The Model S has much less information, but it has sufficient information.

Might as well hide ALL stats. kW are not understandable by the "average" user. Just display time to completion.

As for the camera/nav thing, I've always used the "drag the icon to where I want it" method so I don't even notice the change.

Finally, an observation I haven't seen from anyone else – it's now possible to engage autopilot from a full stop, if hill hold is engaged instead of having your foot on the brake. By this I mean, when stopped at a stop sign or light behind another vehicle, I doubt it would work without a vehicle in front of you. In 7.1, if the brake was engaged at all, including with hill hold, AP wouldn't engage.
Not true. This worked in 7.1 (hill hold to AP) unless they took it out in later builds.

Reactions: jgs
Also, the new charge indicator is stupid. People are going to think their packs actually "fills up" like that. Is it really necessary to defy reality? What was wrong with the old indication? It's like change for change's sake instead of a usability improvement.

Not everyone is that stupid or even cares how accurate it is with regards to how it fills.

It's still just a progress/percentage bar set inside a battery in a see through car.

If it bothers you just don't look at it. Problem solved!!!

Might as well hide ALL stats. kW are not understandable by the "average" user. Just display time to completion.
Disagree. EV owners need to be aware that their cars use energy measured in kWh instead of energy measured in gallons of gasoline. I think almost anyone can understand that the electricity their EV uses is measured in units of kWh.

EV owners do not need to understand how kW relate to amps and volts, though I agree that it could be helpful if they understood that when they explore how to set up home charging.

Reactions: Canuck
Disagree. EV owners need to be aware that their cars use energy measured in kWh instead of energy measured in gallons of gasoline. I think almost anyone can understand that the electricity their EV uses is measured in units of kWh.

EV owners do not need to understand how kW relate to amps and volts, though I agree that it could be helpful if they understood that when they explore how to set up home charging.

You proved my point by arguing against my devil's advocate statement. Now you're drawn an arbitrary line over what information you feel is useful.

Reactions: jgs
Tesla already knows. They just don't want YOU to know. Your reports are basically going into the trash.

Well kW is volts x amps, and we still get the kW display, so we still get the info, just have to think a bit. I'd much prefer to have volts and amps displayed in addition.

Perhaps they should make it so if you click the kW number it displays the volts and amps:
50 kW <-- Click this, and this appears: 50 kW (142a, 353v)

That way the info is normally hidden (meets their reduced confusion/clean interface for non-technical users), and still provides the info for those who wish it.

I'm totally fine with them taking away volts and amps. Even taking away KWh would be ok. Make it less confusing for people. Miles added / time and time to completion are most important. While I personally like being able to see all those geeky numbers, the lay public could not care less. It's like your smartphone or laptop battery - how many mAh is it, and what's the volts/amps charge rate on it when you plug it into a wall? Exactly - no one knows because no one understands what a kWh, a volt, or an amp are.

No one asked for less stats, a lot of people asked for more.
I'm totally fine with them taking away volts and amps. Even taking away KWh would be ok. Make it less confusing for people. Miles added / time and time to completion are most important. While I personally like being able to see all those geeky numbers, the lay public could not care less. It's like your smartphone or laptop battery - how many mAh is it, and what's the volts/amps charge rate on it when you plug it into a wall? Exactly - no one knows because no one understands what a kWh, a volt, or an amp are.

That's why you get the friend who has some cheap knock-off USB charger in their car, when you plug into it you get almost no charge at all, versus the % per minute you'd get with your own gear. Imagine if that didn't happen. No, but he "doesn't need" to know that information.

People aren't going to understand things that are consistently hidden from them..

No one asked for less stats, a lot of people asked for more.

That's why you get the friend who has some cheap knock-off USB charger in their car, when you plug into it you get almost no charge at all, versus the % per minute you'd get with your own gear. Imagine if that didn't happen. No, but he "doesn't need" to know that information.

People aren't going to understand things that are consistently hidden from them..

For the record, I think seeing more data and numbers is a good thing. Knowledge is power (pun intended).

However, this forum isn't representative of most people. People just won't understand or care to know about the data. It'll just scare people off. In fact, I'd bet even most tesla salespeople don't know. Even in a regular ICE, my mom still asks before a long road trip if she needs to "add water to it" to be safe.

The Model S has much less information [than a Roadster], but it has sufficient information.
The issue is exactly this: the car shows less information with each update. This is a disturbing trend that started with 7.0 when they decided we didn't need to see the day of the week, or the odometer (on AP cars), or the temperature, or the climate control status icons. In 8.0, now you don't get to see the volts and amps being delivered when supercharging. Volt and amp values are essential information for troubleshooting a home charging setup, so it would be bad if they've taken it away for standard charging as well.

And if they haven't taken away the display of volts and amps for standard charging, then that shoots a hole in the "this information is too confusing to show the average user" argument, and lends credence to "we just don't want you calling us when you see these numbers fluctuate rapidly at a supercharger."

Reactions: u00mem9 and Canuck
The issue is exactly this: the car shows less information with each update. This is a disturbing trend ...
Yup. And it will continue. Eventually, when the car is autonomous you will see almost nothing about its irrelevant internals. Get used to it. The car will be "in service" or "out of service" and nobody will care beyond that. But that's a couple of years on down the road.

Well for starters electrical circuits are rated in volts and amps - not kW.
And for that reason plenty of folks understand what a volt and an amp are.

I will miss seeing volts and amps on the display because you do lose important information.
When you are charging slowly - knowing both volts and amps helps point the finger to the cause.

When I'm at home it is nice to see the amps ramp up to 40A on my HPWC - it provides me with hard data about the health of my circuit.
When you I'm supercharging - amps tell you about the performance of the Supercharger - and Volts gives you trend data about the health of your battery pack.

I think Google has its own version of this technology so both would have to be available. Tesla has proven they don't have the capability or motivation to fix these things over 4 years. Yes, people would need a smartphone.

So you are saying that they need to license, and integrate, both Car Play and Android Auto, and then Tesla would still need to create/maintain their own apps to support people that don't have a smartphone, or have an unsupported smartphone, like a Windows 10 phone. Seems like a waste of money that could be better put towards improving their own solutions.

They could just buy a smartphone for anyone for whom this is actually a problem. A basic smartphone is cheap enough. I kid, but only a little.

Buying the smartphone isn't the real issue, the issue would be paying the monthly data fees. They could get around that by supplying a WiFi hot spot in the car for free as well. But do we really want them spending money on phones and data plans instead of just improving their own solutions?

After all it isn't like Google Maps, or Apple Maps, is aware of your state of charge, and energy usage, and can route you through Superchargers. While Car Play and Android Auto might be nice, it doesn't take away anything that Tesla would need to create/maintain so it is just a waste of money and resources. IMHO.

Reactions: Philgrover
Buying the smartphone isn't the real issue, the issue would be paying the monthly data fees. They could get around that by supplying a WiFi hot spot in the car for free as well. But do we really want them spending money on phones and data plans instead of just improving their own solutions?

After all it isn't like Google Maps, or Apple Maps, is aware of your state of charge, and energy usage, and can route you through Superchargers. While Car Play and Android Auto might be nice, it doesn't take away anything that Tesla would need to create/maintain so it is just a waste of money and resources. IMHO.
Well, I did say I was kidding. But now that you bring it up, I don't see any fundamental reason Tesla couldn't partner with Google to do energy aware routing. The car would send the relevant data to Google, in addition to the usual lat/long/heading, and Google would take it into account when computing the route. The win for Google is they get to pry even more deeply into your life than they already do, the win for Tesla is they get competent routing.

You proved my point by arguing against my devil's advocate statement. Now you're drawn an arbitrary line over what information you feel is useful.
Not arbitrary. My point was that it is useful for EV owners to think in terms of kWh because that is stored energy that powers their car (amps and volts are not stored energy) just as it is useful for ICE owners to think in terms of gallons of gasoline because that is the stored energy that powers their car and how much of it they have in their tank determines how far they can travel on that tank.

On the other hand, @eyespii 's post saying that fundamentally all that matters is miles, as in how many miles of range are available and during charging how fast are miles or range being added to the car is a valid one.

Ultimately it will likely be as @Bet TSLA posted: when cars are fully autonomous and charge themselves no one will care about kWh or anything else. But we are years away from that, as he points out.

Reactions: Canuck