Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although will is certainly necessary, it isn't sufficient. Resources are also required. My assertion is the onboard processing and data on the car, impressive though they might be, will never equal Google's warehouse the size of freaking Rhode Island full of CPU and disk, not to mention their mind-bogglingly huge user base. It's OK, not everybody has to be the best at everything. I would be satisfied for Tesla's navigation system base functionality to be as good as, say, a standalone Garmin unit I can buy for peanuts at any electronics store.

The on-board processing of my laptop, desktop, and smartphone also don't equal Google's warehouse the size of Rhode Island full of CPUs, yet those devices are able to navigate just fine. The navigation processing is done server side, not on your device.

I've seen the advice to reboot the CID after an update, and I routinely do that now.

But I don't understand... How could a large update like 8.0 not reboot everything as part of the process?

(A couple of people have already replied but here goes my long-winded version.)

It does reboot everything, at least as far as I know. I think that the "reboot the CID after an update" advice is basically the same as the advice given to Windows users to "just reboot" or "defrag the hard disk", or on the Mac "reset the PRAM". It's something for you to do if the system seems to be behaving wrongly. The reboot might perturb the system enough to make it work correctly afterwards, even if it doesn't fix the underlying problem. The general lack of visibility into what's going on with the various processors (including the ones that run the CID and the IC) make it hard for us mere mortal users to come up with good diagnosis and mitigation procedures. I generally don't do a second reboot.

That having been said, my CID rebooted several times last week on its own due to problems that have been already been discussed. So the reboot I did that made the car's WiFi MAC address visible again was definitely not the first after the software upgrade. Also both WiFI and 3G were working fine on my car throughout, I just happened to stumble on this issue.

Bruce.

PS. BTW, thanks to @pers1 for the Dislike on my prior post. I don't know if you didn't like my light-hearted crack at Linux, or you thought I was smoking crack. Next time maybe you can be take the time to write a reply saying why you disliked it, which might lead to a real, productive discussion.

I dont have bugs 1 or 2 and I've been looking for it so it's not universal. Re #3, I also miss the arrow because it was very clear but the new teardrop marker on the 17" is very precise and since it zooms in you can see which side of the street your destination is on. I prefer the arrow but so far this works for me.
I did see bug #2, but only on streaming, only for first song selected when changing channels.

Check out a few posts upstream, including mine on the previous page for similar observations about veering into an adjoining lane.
I'll add one more. Driving on AP on I-26 south of Asheville. In the left lane, starting to pass a semi on the right, the car veered toward the back of the truck. Scared the $hit out of my wife. If I had not had my hands on the wheel I believe we would have hit the truck. I'm astonished that people don't like the nags. With the way AP is acting in V8, I can't imagine why anyone would be so reckless to not want to be immediately ready to take over. I didn't have this issue with v7.1. Stay safe out there until these defects are corrected.

I'll add one more. Driving on AP on I-26 south of Asheville. In the left lane, starting to pass a semi on the right, the car veered toward the back of the truck. Scared the $hit out of my wife. If I had not had my hands on the wheel I believe we would have hit the truck. I'm astonished that people don't like the nags. With the way AP is acting in V8, I can't imagine why anyone would be so reckless to not want to be immediately ready to take over. I didn't have this issue with v7.1. Stay safe out there until these defects are corrected.
I've had AEB trigger twice this past weekend. Once with AP on when the car it was tracking switched lanes (BAD) and the second with AP off a car making a turn in front of me coming from a cross street cutting me off (GOOD). All in all I find it more unpredictable than 7.1 so far. Hoping "fleet learning" teaches it something quick.

• Informative
Reactions: Wanderer and BertL
I've had AEB trigger twice this past weekend. Once with AP on when the car it was tracking switched lanes (BAD) and the second with AP off a car making a turn in front of me coming from a cross street cutting me off (GOOD). All in all I find it more unpredictable than 7.1 so far. Hoping "fleet learning" teaches it something quick.
Actual AEB, loud beeping, brakes slammed on hard, antilock pulsing?

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
Did you get the message on the IC?

If not, either
1. It's not AEB
2. They removed the message going from 7.1 to 8.0 (I doubt it)

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
It does reboot. But the combination of weird bugs and seemingly random behaviors from various subsystems combined with really a total lack of knowledge from the user lead the superstitious behaviors. In other words, it's driving Tesla owners literally crazy.

And there is no harm in the reboot, so "why not" do it to potentially help with any issues.

Reactions: JenniferQ
Could reboot every night. Could make as much difference as patting your own head before exiting the car.

If it is any consolation, I haven't manually rebooted my car since April 15th when I got "Touchscreen Needs Service" (I know b/c I posted the pic on Facebook and just pulled it back up). The reboot took away the message and I haven't rebooted manually ever since.

If it is any consolation, I haven't manually rebooted my car since April 15th when I got "Touchscreen Needs Service" (I know b/c I posted the pic on Facebook and just pulled it back up). The reboot took away the message and I haven't rebooted manually ever since.

I've only rebooted for excessive slowness. I mean like 60 second delays from input to execution.

I've only rebooted for excessive slowness. I mean like 60 second delays from input to execution.

Fortunately, I have not seen that in 7.x. I saw that all the time in 6.2. One of the two good things I got from 7.x. A few others were nice, but I am ambivalent about either way. But auto-homelink and general responsiveness were my biggest takeaways with 7.x. :)